What are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Started The Girl Who Played with Fire

Finding that the more I work out, the less time I have for reading.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The Woods by Harlan Coben
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Currently reading:

"The Queen of the South", by Arturo Perez-Reverte, about a Mexican woman forced to flee Mexico and become a drug lord in Spain. Great read so far! :drinker:

and

"A Dance with the Devil" by Barbara Bentley - true story of a woman married to a psychopath. Very intense! :embarassed:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The Woods by Harlan Coben

How is that?

I read "Gone for Good" by him and it was a pretty good read. :smile:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I recently finished

- Fool's Tale by Nicole Galland - this one is historical fiction which I thought might be similar to Philippa Gregory's novels (such as "The Other Boleyn Girl"), but was mistaken. Took a while to get into it, but it ended up being a disappointment.
    - The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Guwande - this is a book about checklists (couldn't tell from the title, could you?). I read it for work and found it to be an amazing and wonderful read - it talks about how checklists came into being in the aviation industry as well as other important industries (like construction, medical arena, and so on). It's fascinating to read about the things that occurred to precipitate the need for a checklist.
    - The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown - like one of the other posters here, I thought it was okay, but maybe a bit disappointing. I was annoyed by the denouement - it felt too political. As one of my work colleagues noted, it's the same stock of characters in all of his books, doing slightly different things, but the basic plot is always the same. It did make me want to go to Washington, D.C. and check out the historical buildings, though.

What's on my Next Up list:

- A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters, #19 in the Amelia Peabody series - I love this series. It's about a British Egyptologist in the late 1800s / early 1900s who solves murder mysteries. Awesome series!
    - No Law in the Land *and* The Bishop Must Die by Michael Jecks, #s 27 & 28 in the Knights Templar murder mystery series. If you love historical pieces and mysteries, boy is this series for you!

I'd better stop now, or else I'll buy out bn.com!

Happy Reading, Everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have an Amazon Kindle... which I LOVE... and I'm currently reading the entire collection of Wizard of Oz books by L. Frank Baum. All 14 of them were one download & only .99 cents.
  • lock0134
    lock0134 Posts: 19
    Options
    The Beach by Alex Garland. My favorite author is Stephen King but I've already read everything he's written. Dean Koontz is next on my list.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Now I'm reading Heart of A Lion by Gilbert Morris. It's a fiction book about Noah. Very good.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "House Rule's" by Jodi Picoult. Very good so far!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Dominion by Matthew Scully.
  • SekhmetNova
    Options
    I am currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and I love it! I think this is very applicable to my struggle with weight and self-acceptance.

I just finished reading the Kite Runner (I know, I buy too many books and it takes me awhile to get around to read them lol!). This has to be one of my favorite books I've ever read. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I felt the a narrator's shame, it was just overall a moving story. I still get teary eyed when I hear, "For you, a thousand times over!".
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the Kite Runner (I know, I buy too many books and it takes me awhile to get around to read them lol!). This has to be one of my favorite books I've ever read. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I felt the a narrator's shame, it was just overall a moving story. I still get teary eyed when I hear, "For you, a thousand times over!".

I love the Kite Runner... definitely one of my favorite books. Did you see the movie as well? I would also recommend reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" which is Khaled Hosseini's second novel.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    "The Time Traveler's Wife"- I want to read the book before I see the movie.
    "Eat, Pray, Love"- Self searching time.
    "Percy Jackson-The Last Olympian"- The last book of a GREAT series, really enjoyed this :)

I realy liked the Time Traveler's Wife and still haven't seen the movie. I'll have to remind my husband to order it on Netflix.

I'm also a total Twihard, even though I started late.

Currently reading Women Food and God - absolutely WONDERFUL for this journey. Not just for women, not all about food and God isn't necessarily meant in the religious sense. I have overcome so much just from reading the first 4 chapters.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I absolutely :heart: Harry Potter so my boyfriend and I are re-reading Deathly Hallows for about the millionth time at the moment. We take it in turns each night to read a chapter out loud to each other :happy:

I also recently started reading The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas, but am taking a break at the moment with Uni exams looming! It's very real and super interesting, I can't wait until I have time to get back into it.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The 6th Target by James Patterson
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just finished The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. Great book! Now I want to get all sorts of history books about the Wars of the Roses!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "The Time Traveler's Wife"- I want to read the book before I see the movie.
    "Eat, Pray, Love"- Self searching time.
    "Percy Jackson-The Last Olympian"- The last book of a GREAT series, really enjoyed this :)

I realy liked the Time Traveler's Wife and still haven't seen the movie. I'll have to remind my husband to order it on Netflix.

I wanted to warn you, because I read and loved Time Traveler's Wife and when I did see the movie, I was super disappointed. But I'm almost always disappointed with the movies made from the books I have loved so take it with a grain of salt...However, I did LOVE all of the LOTR movies. I was SO happy that the Shire was exactly as I had pictured it, and I even thought good old what's his name as Frodo was a perfect casting choice...what is that guy's name...hmmmm
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Frodo = Elijah Wood
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yes! Oh thanks LOL he looks just like my sister's ex-boyfriend and so I can only ever think of that guy's name LOL
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Okay, I admit that I'm a book addict. Not sure how I've missed this thread before. Thanks for all the great ideas on books. I tend to listen to audiobooks rather than physically read since this lifestyle change. It's easier to exercise while getting my book fix.

Recently finished: "Bitten" and "Men of the Other World" by Keli Armstrong both great books. "Storm Prey" and "Rough Country" by John Sanford and "4 hour Work Week" by Timothy Ferris.

Currently listening to "An Echo In The Bone" by Diana Gabaldon.

Heading out on a 14 hour car trip today for a work conferance and plan to listen to "The Lion's Game" by Nelson DeMille. I loved his "Charm School."