Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.

This is so me with the hatred of half serving sizes.... And i'm just one person, no husband or kinds yet... so I usually end up splitting it into two and doing 1.25 as a serving.

REALLY annoying!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Looking at a box of cookies last night, one servicing size was 7 1/2 cookies...little, itty, bitty cookies (think animal cracker size). Who would just eat 1/2 a cookie.

Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

Haha...a butter bowl is what I used for cereal too as a kid....now I don't eat it at all
  • invisibility
    Options
    Cereal was the worst for me, because I freakin' love cereal (and I prefer to munch it dry). I always kind of knew I was eating way more than the piddly little amount they called a serving, but the first time I actually measured out 3/4 of a cup of it, it was so sad. And then when I realized that it's more accurate to *weigh* it? It was like finding out about Santa all over again.

Now my attitude is, if I can't fit 2 servings' worth into my meal plan for the day, then screw it, I'll have some tomorrow.
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A bag of frozen buffalo wings.

3oz? What the hey is that? Why can't you just tell us how many per wing?

3oz? Does that count the bones? If I take the meat off the bones and measure out 3oz, is that the same?
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    2 pop tarts in a pack. 1 is a serving.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.

So, so, so, THIS!!! And the pop tart thing the other guy said. Why IS there two in there if you're only supposed to eat one?

HAHA omg. My bf thought I was nuts when I put the lonely poptart in a plastic bag for another day. He's like "They wouldn't be packaged IN TWOS in a serving was ONE.." and then he looked at the box. LOL
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    2 Tbsp of croutons :noway:
    Now, that's some bull$%&#
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Anything packaged in a size that means there are not an even number of servings in the packet, or where more than one serving of something that goes stale fast eg. oatcakes - seven in a pack, but a serving is 3 - are packaged in the same air-tight package, so that eating the recommended serving means wasting the rest or finding an airtight way to store. Or things like drinks where a single serving size is implicitly a single bottle, yet the said bottle contains more than one serving.
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

When I was 12 or 13 my parents sent me to a nutritionist and she had me write down everything I ate for a few days before I went. I remember her reading over my food diary and commenting on the fact that I had eaten two pop tarts as breakfast, and said something to the effect of "I don't know anyone who eats two pop tarts in one sitting." Even now, 12 years later, with a way better grasp of how to eat well, I still can't believe her.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't have any that come to mind, although when I used to eat cereal the serving sizes always seemed very small.
    Ben and Jerry's serving sizes are too small. I just want the whole tub haha.

What annoys me is when they list calories by weight, but that weight isn't one serving. Muller yogurts are the worst. They do all they calories by 100g but the yogurts tend to be 150-190g (if not more.) At a quick glance some seem OK, 150 cals, 12-15g of sugar....then you realise that's only half a serving. It's not like they intend for that 100g to be one serving either. These are individual yogurts, and don't say "1 serving (100g)", just "100g."
    Also ice cream/frozen yogurt servings given in ml and not grams O_O
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    the single cookie we get at the health food store.it is ONE cookie. we read the back today and a serving is HALF of the cookie!
    That's hilarious!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the microwavable containers of soup that supposedly contain two servings. They just baffle me. If the container is supposed to be the bowl you eat from, who is splitting that with someone else?

This too! I forgot about those!

And, if for some crazy reason you really do only eat the one serving, you can't reheat up the rest in the bowl (says so on the container!) that it came in!
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Dry egg noodles. Calorie info is for weight cooked and drained!!! How the *&^% do I know how much to put in the pot dry? Just tell me how many calories are in one of the pressed dry portions, honestly, I can handle the info!!!! And the water isn't going to add any extra calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Some turkey burgers at Wegmans. 4oz raw is 160 calories, 3oz cooked 120. It's supposed to be the same patty.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of peanut butter. Significantly less than you think if you're using actual tablespoons too (try weighing it!!). GTFO... gimme the jar and a spoon.

Really? I was surprised by how much peanut butter fits into the 2 tbsp. 32 grams is a lot of PB for me if I put 16g on each half of a bagel
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the microwavable containers of soup that supposedly contain two servings. They just baffle me. If the container is supposed to be the bowl you eat from, who is splitting that with someone else?

This too! I forgot about those!

And, if for some crazy reason you really do only eat the one serving, you can't reheat up the rest in the bowl (says so on the container!) that it came in!

My solution for this - pour the half you're going to eat into a normal bowl, and microwave with a plate on top. The second half can be heated in the container, as long as you haven't already heated it once before.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout cookies. I think the serving size should be increased to the entire box. Also, anything that says 8ozs... who drinks 8ozs?? This need to be increased to at least 16ozs
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Popcorn and rice. Oh and noodles. It's the whole dry vs. cooked debacle. By the time I think I've figured out how much I can eat, I give up and throw the box back in the pantry. Not worth it.
    YES!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    A Tombstone pizza serving size is 1/5 of a pizza. How do you cut a circle into 5 equal pieces???

You know that a circle spans 360 degrees. Divide this by 5 and you have 72 degrees.

1) Use the protractor (a semi-circle) to create a full circle.

2) Make a mark on the circle at 0 degrees. Make 4 more marks at 72, 144, 216, and 288 degrees.

3) From the center of the circle, draw a line segment out towards each of those marks.

You now how 5 equal parts of a circle.
    That is funny, but what is equally as sad is that in wanting to be accurate..I may actually do that...LOL
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

D: I eat just one poptart... and I barely eat that, because who eats the crusts of poptarts? eww. haha.