Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For those frustrated with the dry vs cooked pasta, pasta typically swells when it's cooked. If you want just one serving, measure out the dry amount, and it should be the prepared measured amount when you are finished cooking. I don't usually make one serving of pasta (since I will be feeding my whole family). I just make it, and then measure the correct amount for myself.

I hate this too (pasta and rice) - I wish it would say the weight cooked. Thankfully my husband (chef) told me to just double it - 2 oz dry is 4 oz cooked. which is still more than I will eat - but at least I can figure it out.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Anything that has a serving size of tablespoons.

Really?
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I cooked a 1lb box of pasta (7 servings) and a jar of sauce (5 servings) to which I added chicken and other ingredients to extend. In the end, I decided that everything was 5 servings. So I measured cooked pasta then measured finished sauce, and just use 1/5 of each per serving. Simple and worked like a champ! I have roughly a pound of food per serving and it was less than 500 cals per serving! #Winning

I had to do this last night when I made spaghetti for my family. I box of pasta with 7 servings, plus 1 jar of sauce with 5 servings (can't they coordinate that?!) plus a pound of lean hamburger all in the recipe calculator, divide by 7 = 350 calories per serving. Looks great on paper, but how on earth are you supposed to divide a big dish of slippery food into sevenths? I did the best I could, but I venture the servings were rather unequal. I mean, come on. How are you supposed to measure an accurate serving, even with a kitchen scale, if they only give the information for the UNCOOKED product?! To get an accurate serving I'd have to measure and cook each serving individually. Not gonna happen.
    I also can't stand odd serving sizes... 7?!? 5?! So much harder to divide something into odd numbered sections. They're killing me!

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the way I do this is enter it into MFPs recipe calculator as a recipe with (in this case) 5 servings. Then when it comes time to dish out - place empty dish on the scale. Tare. Place noodles in dish, note number. Divide by 5, put mine on my plate. Tare. Put meat in dish, note number. divide by 5, put mine on my plate. Tare. Veggies. Tare, divide by 5, put mine on plate. Sep. dish for sauce, Tare. add sauce, divide by 5...add mine. Then mix everything else together for everyone else and give appropriate amounts. Log my dinner as one serving of the new recipe. A pain in the bum, but it works. And it is more accurate. :-/
  • evolution143
    evolution143 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

This!! I always believed pop tarts needed to change the nutritional information to 2 pop tarts or start packaging them all separately.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a bag of croutons in the cabinet... serving size 2 tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that when most of the croutons won't even fit properly in an actual tablespoon? Why not just say "serving size about 2 croutons"? On top of that -- while it's obviously healthier to go with none anyway -- what kind of salad that includes croutons only uses two of them?

Love this!
  • crazybg101
    Options
    Cereal. Who only eats 3/4 cup?!
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.

THIS^^^ Lmfao
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I forgot the brand but golden syrup cake or ginger cake. Im sure it used to be 6 servings in a pack, but to advertise it as less than 100 calories per slice they changed it to 11 servings a pack. How are you supposed to measure a tiny 1/11th of a cake?
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    A Tombstone pizza serving size is 1/5 of a pizza. How do you cut a circle into 5 equal pieces???

You know that a circle spans 360 degrees. Divide this by 5 and you have 72 degrees.

1) Use the protractor (a semi-circle) to create a full circle.

2) Make a mark on the circle at 0 degrees. Make 4 more marks at 72, 144, 216, and 288 degrees.

3) From the center of the circle, draw a line segment out towards each of those marks.

You now how 5 equal parts of a circle.
    That is funny, but what is equally as sad is that in wanting to be accurate..I may actually do that...LOL
    We used to just multiply the suggested serving size by the calories and then divide by what we decided was a serving size.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of croutons in the cabinet... serving size 2 tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that when most of the croutons won't even fit properly in an actual tablespoon? Why not just say "serving size about 2 croutons"? On top of that -- while it's obviously healthier to go with none anyway -- what kind of salad that includes croutons only uses two of them?
    This one made me laugh!!!!
  • xoeva
    Options
    Anything that has a serving size of tablespoons.

Really?
    Oh, interesting..I LOVE tablespoon and teaspoon sizes...even for food such as avocados, because that is how I measure stuff... It's much easier in my opinion to just measure one or two tablespoons, of peanut butter, or whatever, than to figure out in grams ....or ounces! I do have a good scale, but measuring out 10 or 20 grms of avocado.... weird.
  • xoeva
    Options
    Cereal. Who only eats 3/4 cup?!
    Right, why bother... for plain ol' cornflakes my box says 1 and a 1/4 cup...so better...another one I eat, puffed wheat is one cup, and if I put it in a small bowl it looks full. I also like the mini wheats (lots of sugar, but a nice treat) it tells you one serving is 21 pieces..I love counting the little squares in the (very) small bowl. :laugh:
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options

LMAO! I figured this out weeks ago after weighing croutons...its usually 2 1/2 croutons...I got ANNOYED trying to cut a crouton in half so now I just have 5 croutons= 2 servings. Makes my life easier.
  • slimster1970
    slimster1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

Who eats pop tarts at all? Cardboard with filling.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just seen a post under recipes for 52 calorie pancakes - 1/26th of a serving portion of a 1340 calorie recipe with flour, eggs, milk & butter. Seriously, who eats one 2.5 inch pancake?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the serving size should only be regarded as a suggestion, not as an instruction to what amount to eat. How can serving sizes be helpful? Do you count them through the day? A large body needs more food than a small body, and we all like different things. Just measure out what you eat and log it. It is so much easier when values are for 100 grams, we can just weigh it instead of wrestling numbers.

The only truly "evil" thing about serving sizes is that the better the food tastes, the more calories it usually has. So the ridiculously small serving sizes of tasty foods is quite logical. But of course you can have more and still maintain your weight, if you make room for it.
  • jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout Cookies. They should provide nutrition info for the sleeve, since that's what my fellow fatties and I want to eat anyway

Bahaha you're my favorite. I ate a sleeve of Thin Mints last month before I even realized it - on the plus side I had minty fresh breath and super attractive chocolatey teeth.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just seen a post under recipes for 52 calorie pancakes - 1/26th of a serving portion of a 1340 calorie recipe with flour, eggs, milk & butter. Seriously, who eats one 2.5 inch pancake?

Pfft. It doesn't mean a serving is 52 calories. It means one pancake is 26 calories. Learn to read :p
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    In new Zealand everything has to have nutritional info per 100g as well as the manufacturers arbitrary serving size.

It's the same in germany, and even if that makes stuff easier, it's not half as funny :-D
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Cooking spray 1/4 second spray is 1 serving...who da buck counts like that?