Who is the most obnoxious person at YOUR gym??

Options

Replies

• babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not obnoxious but just a little weird. A guy on the treadmill gives the occasional loud "yeah!" Like he's pumping himself up. But what do I care, I've got my headphones on. And sometimes in between songs when I CAN hear him I like to pretend he's cheering me on. :)

I love this one!
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am the most annoying person in my gym.
  • FrenchCanuck
    FrenchCanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, in the women's only section of the gym....

Some women grunt unneccessarly loud and do it too often.
    Why do you need to grunt so loudly when you're doing warm up stretches on your mat?
    I mean, if you were lifting 20 lb weights i'd understand but during warm ups?
    Sometimes I wonder if they do that just to get some male attention or something..
    But the males cant hear them! We're in the women only section!
    Their grunts are not normal, they sound like very loud sex noises! uuhhh! ohhhh! ahhh! ooooooh!!!!!
    You'd think they have a vibrator in their pants!
    Its very annoying and deeply disturbing at the same time.

At my gym, the warm up mats are in front of the treadmill machines.
    Some women like to do their exercises with their legs spread right in front of me when i run on a treadmill!
    I didnt pay my gym fee just to see crotches while I do my cardio!
    If it was a hot guy, i wouldn't complain...
    But geez ladies have some decentcy and turn around for god's sake!!!

Machine hoggers.
    Some skeleton teenage-looking girls go to the gym (you ask yourself why in the first place!) sits on a machine for hours but does 2 reps per 15 minutes while looking at their iphones or texting - wtf? did your mom drop you off at the gym as a babysitter while she's out doing errands?

I quit the gym and bought a stationnary bicycle, weights and insanity videos instead.
    No more viewing other women's crotches or listening to loud sex noise grunts!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I grunted like annoying meathead loud today on my 1RM on OHP...

So probably me...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Me because i have a home gym lol
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I have an older guy at my gym.. He is in good shape, but he often finds an open area in the gym and does Karate with an invisible friend... and makes sure he gets everyones attention with loud "Yas and Has" and other crazy noises when he kicks or punchs.... and then he runs around the indoor track and "pumps" him self up loudly, raising his arms like he just won something....

This guy actually sounds awesome. I suspect that i'd rather hang out with him than judgey judgers.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    smelly guy who sometimes forgets to wipe down his machine. Ewww.

Why do these people exist? (-_-)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    1) the people who don't re-rack
    2) the groups that hog the racks for 30 minutes at a time and don't let anyone work in*
    3) the people that bring in a radio to blast over the already blasting music the gym pumps in. I've had to leave because it was going me a headache a couple of times. Thankfully, it's only happened twice in two years.

Mainly, though? The stupid pizza chick from the pizza joint next door who knocks on the windows to try to get people's attention to laugh at them. It's not even hurtful emotionally, just annoying. And she does it to everyone, not just the fit people or the fat people. Thankfully, she doesn't do that any longer. Probably because all of us complained to the pizza store owner.

* and by this I mean the people who sit and socialize on the bench in the rack area. If you're actually doing something, whatever. This one group of 4 guys will get the smith machine ready, and then chill for 20 minutes without lifting a thing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought. Focus on your own effin' workout and stop worrying about what others do.

The only legitimate complaints I can sort of understand are not wiping the machines down, this is basic courtesy and hygiene. Not racking the weights, which really isn't that big of a deal. Taking too long at a workout station, ok this is affecting your workout so gripe away.

Who cares if someone is checking themselves out in the mirror? They may be proud of their progress.
    Who cares if someone is on their phone walking around? How does this affect you?
    Who cares if they are "doing it wrong"? None of your business.
    Who cares if they are grunting? This means they are putting in a lot of effort and grunting to help push along muscle contraction.

Do you also take issue with someone passing gas in a bathroom?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Probably me LOL
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    People that drop their weights. First of all, that's a good way to damage the equipment. Second of all, it doesn't make you cooler or badder if the weight sounds heavy when it hits the floor. It's just distracting when we turn our heads to see what idiot did it. :ohwell:

Find a quiet way to drop 75lb dumbbells :bigsmile:
  • TheLuSir
    Options
    People that drop their weights. First of all, that's a good way to damage the equipment. Second of all, it doesn't make you cooler or badder if the weight sounds heavy when it hits the floor. It's just distracting when we turn our heads to see what idiot did it. :ohwell:

Find a quiet way to drop 75lb dumbbells :bigsmile:

Invent the quiet grunt.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I swear if I say that I don't like brussel sprouts, people will start b*itching about how I'm hating on the brussel sprouts. This topic really isn't about whether or not someone is a "good" person or a "bad" person. Nowhere has it been mentioned that fat people (me included) are to be ridiculed or intimidated at the gym.

Rather, it's about basic gym etiquette and how some people are inconsiderate to their fellow gymgoers.

Now for my little gym horror story. One day I was working on one of the machines when an elderly man sits down at the hip abductor machine. Anyone remember those nylon short running shorts that were so popular in the '80's? They usually had little white stripes running down the side and about a 1.5 inch inseam. This man was wearing a pair of those '80's short shorts in red. He settled down on the seat, put his thighs against the pads, and opened his legs wide.

I swear, his baggy nutsack fell out of the leg of his shorts. Red and shiny like Christmas ornaments.

Meanwhile, I was struggling to avert my eyes and trying not to gag. I couldn't look away. It was like watching a train wreck.

Anyway, he did something like 3 sets with his sack hanging out. Either he didn't notice that things had gotten a bit drafty, or maybe he liked it that way. When he was done with his sets, he got up and walked away without doing any more exercize.

I was totally squicked out.
  • TheLuSir
    Options
    I swear if I say that I don't like brussel sprouts, people will start b*itching about how I'm hating on the brussel sprouts. This topic really isn't about whether or not someone is a "good" person or a "bad" person. Nowhere has it been mentioned that fat people (me included) are to be ridiculed or intimidated at the gym.

Rather, it's about basic gym etiquette and how some people are inconsiderate to their fellow gymgoers.

Now for my little gym horror story. One day I was working on one of the machines when an elderly man sits down at the hip abductor machine. Anyone remember those nylon short running shorts that were so popular in the '80's? They usually had little white stripes running down the side and about a 1.5 inch inseam. This man was wearing a pair of those '80's short shorts in red. He settled down on the seat, put his thighs against the pads, and opened his legs wide.

I swear, his baggy nutsack fell out of the leg of his shorts. Red and shiny like Christmas ornaments.

Meanwhile, I was struggling to avert my eyes and trying not to gag. I couldn't look away. It was like watching a train wreck.

Anyway, he did something like 3 sets with his sack hanging out. Either he didn't notice that things had gotten a bit drafty, or maybe he liked it that way. When he was done with his sets, he got up and walked away without doing any more exercize.

I was totally squicked out.

Reminds me of Ms. Mann: "Come in, have a seat. Take your bra off if you'd like..." [shivers]
  • qsusanevans
    Options
    Hey, it's a *&&^##@ locker room. Why NOT run around naked until you are ready to get dressed. Doing your hair, etc naked gives your body a chance to dry out after a shower, so why not? If you are that sensitive about the bodies of old women (esp old women who are going to the gym for petes' sake) get over it. You will hopefully be there too someday.
  • JezziedotM
    JezziedotM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I must be pretty oblivious... I don't really notice anyone being obnoxious at my gym. I think I'm in my own world though with my earphones in and my iPod blasting!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    me. i'm the one that'll go up to people and give them tips on their form, and call them out when they're doing it wrong, especially if they're about to hurt themselves.

also, i overhead press in the squat rack. i dead lift there too. i grunt, i sweat like a beast, clang my weights, and i look good doing it.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    the 18 year olds who just stare at the women and don't work out...
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    2 very large girls, they play the music from their phones with no ear buds, talk about sex and birth control all of he time, act like they are 12 and are very sarcastic. UGGGH
  • qsusanevans
    Options
    If you can't set your 75 lbs down quietly you are lifting above your level. It just shows you are crass to drop your weights. Weight lifting also includes CONTROL of said weights.