The "ugly" friend...

Options

Replies

• d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    ummm, gawd I hope I've never hung out with anyone who gives two sh*ts about this..but yeah, I think it is real...I have never been svelt, so maybe I'm the fat friend...but I base my friendships on humor...you could look like Christie Brinkley..if you aren't funny, you aren't going to be fun to hang with...My own bestie can make me laugh so hard I sound like a chimp in heat...and it certainly isn't pretty.

:flowerforyou:

*must google the sound of a chimp in heat...
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    all my friends are good looking..... am the fat/ ugly friend .....
    but am friends with people for who they are not what they look like
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I would never, in my life, think of ever being friends or not friends with a person based on looks. To me, it's incredibly shallow, and Karma will come back in the end.

As for me, in high school and middle school, I was always the fat, ugly (in my mind at least) friend. All my friends were skinnier, and had one constantly tell me everything she deemed wrong with me. This went from weight, skin, clothes, hair..whatever she could think of. Constantly. I developed and still have a terrible confidence and horrid self picture of myself from years of hearing this.

Then senior year of high school I went temporary hyperthyroid. Dropped 40 lbs in a month and a half changing nothing. My best friend of 13 years starting telling everyone I was bulimic (never approached me saying she was worried, just decided I was and EVERYONE had to hear, and for the record I was NOT nor never).

Looking back now I laugh. It's hilarious how all my "friends" stopped talking to me when I lost weight and started dating my bf (soon-to-be husband now). I suppose, sadly, some do. But as with all things, just because some do it does not mean all do.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    All my friends that are girls always talk **** behind my back to my guy friends, they are pretty two faced i only really have one true friend and he is male. My other friends are my MFPers :).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Well I can see that I've been completely wrong about women being shallow LOL

if you read my post, I said it was NOTHING I agree with, but have heard of. I would NEVER choose my friends on how they make me look, but rather how good of people they are, are they fun, etc....

Yea, I may not be friends with Puffy on here but see enough of her posts to know she's a doll and not that type.

You sir have posted many women-bashing posts and I'm sorry you had a rough time but it's time to get over it. Seek therapy if need be however blaming ALL for the actions of a few is ignorant to say the least.
    You've taken the steps to improve yourself physically now how about taking the steps to improve yourself mentally and emotionally. The victim card is old and overused.

I think I puffy heart you, because you are awesome!
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    all my friends are good looking..... am the fat/ ugly friend .....
    Your greAt looking as well sweetie! It's just about the confidence you have ! :) do t let anyone tell you that your fat or ugly! :)
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this.
    Options
    Everyone is ugly compared to someone else, it's all relative.

I choose to think everyone is good looking to someone. :bigsmile:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I once dated a girl who legitimately practiced this. She said she had an "ugly friend" she'd take out with her so she would look better.

All I could think was, given the attractiveness of said girl I was dating, that other girl had to be reeeeeeal ugly!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is something my friends and I have every discussed. Hopefully I choose my friends and they choose me because we like each others' company.

When I was single, the group was pretty evenly mixed men and women and we had a blast together. Now we're all paired off and parents.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    All of my friends are guys.... Literally. All of them. So I don't do this. I can't stand hanging out with girls... they annoy me.

This is NOT, repeat NOT a personal attack but a general pet peeve of mine when I see/hear women say this. I USE to say this a lot when I was younger and felt threatened or insecure around other females. I got over my issues and now I can't imagine now having my girl friends. There are few that I'm really close with but their friendships bring so much more to the table than my friendships with my guy friends.

I don't feel threatened or insecure around other females. I just can't relate to them as well as I can with guys. The stuff most girls talk about, I just don't like. I know that yes, there probably is a girl out there like me who hates shopping, talking about hair and stuff, likes video games and obscure asian horror movies... but for now, guys do that. So it's not an "insecure" thing at all, for me at least.

Also, about 7/10 of my friends are gay males. So I even get the only real girl talk I like with them... about other hot guys. Ha.

Some women like shopping, makeup, video games AND obscure asian horror flicks. It's not either/or, and it's really not helping you out any to rule out an entire sex of humans just because you don't think they're as unique and different as you.

I'm not sure what from my post made you think that I'm ruling out an entire sex - it just so happens that so far in my life all my friends are males. I don't see a girl and go "oh hell no gtfo". Just the people that I've gotten along with best and want to spend my time with happen to be guys.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I'm a bass player...

I am the "ugly friend"... :frown:
  • grgnelson
    grgnelson Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We all have had friends that we knew were better looking or more successful with the ladies than ourselves. So we made sure, we hung back and picked off his leftovers....
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well I can see that I've been completely wrong about women being shallow LOL

I must've missed the part where she was being shallow
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it until my ex-husband said my two best friends were way hotter than I was. Then I was super paranoid, but came to the conclusion that my friends were true friends. Ex-husband, as shown by the 'ex' was the 'ugly' person in that equation!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Every group has a Karen and she is always a bag of douche.

Whether Karen is ugly is a different story.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Growing up my dad always told me, "Son, you always want to hang out with people that are uglier and dumber than you. Comparatively speaking you'll like like a superstar."
    Given the amount of dates I got growing up, my friends apparently got the same speech and paid better heed to it than I did. I was the ugly/dumb one.
    Options
    I once dated a girl who legitimately practiced this. She said she had an "ugly friend" she'd take out with her so she would look better.

All I could think was, given the attractiveness of said girl I was dating, that other girl had to be reeeeeeal ugly!

she TOLD you this? How long did you date her?
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If it is really a thing, I believe I'm the ugly friend... or, should I say, the "fat" friend.

I am also the fat friend.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    uhhh no...i have not heard of that, noticed it, or done it myself.

:noway: