The "ugly" friend...

Options

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I had a girl tell me that she can only be friends with attractive people and thats why we were friends. We stopped being friends after that. Its really weird to chose your friends based on how they look.

Lol! I had a gay guy friend tell me that part of the reason he was friends with me was because I was attractive and he didn't have ugly friends. WTF?? That kinda sucked hearing that tbh.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I had some 'friends' like that. They didn't like me losing weight and getting attention either. Not my 'friends' anymore. Through out this journey of binge eating disorder and recovering I've truly found who my friends are. The little circle I have now are awesome!

This!

And I have known some guys who felt insecure enough about themselves that they would find an "ugly" buddy to hang with so they could feel better about themselves. The people who do it tend to have major self esteem issues so it's easier for them play "thank goodness I'm not her/him" rather than work on being the person they really want to be.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    My friends are fun as hell. That's what matters to me.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely the "ugly" friend in my bunch. Most of the girls I hangout with are much prettier than me, but I really don't care. We're not friends based on our looks. I don't think they ask me to go out so they feel "prettier" either.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    If this were true then why would the ugly friend go out with the prettier friend? Wouldn't the ugly friend choose an uglier friend? And that friend choose an uglier friend? Etc.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I never thought about it until my ex-husband said my two best friends were way hotter than I was. Then I was super paranoid, but came to the conclusion that my friends were true friends. Ex-husband, as shown by the 'ex' was the 'ugly' person in that equation!

I'm glad he's an EX if he's going to tell you that your friends are hotter. *kitten*! (him)

He was a huge *kitten*, and that statement was the beginning of the end... Although strangely enough (or maybe not?), years later he ended up marrying one of those friends that was 'way hotter' than me. Guess he already had an idea of what he wanted instead of me!

Ouch. But, they probably deserve each other. Wow... I'm sorry.
  • Offical
    Options
    I'm the ugly friend.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    I've only ever heard of that from the people who perceive themselves to BE the "ugly" friend. In my group, and in every group of people I ever hung out with through high school and now in college, I've NEVER seen people hang out with someone to make themselves look better.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that, but personally never knew anyone who admitted to doing it.

I'm kind of the opposite. Although, I'll befriend anyone, I only allow myself to be close with women who are above average in attractiveness, and on the taller side, like me, because I prefer to hang around and be seen with good looking women.
    Options
    If this were true then why would the ugly friend go out with the prettier friend? Wouldn't the ugly friend choose an uglier friend? And that friend choose an uglier friend? Etc.

I didn't invent this. I've HEARD of it. I would assume the supposed ugly friend isn't aware and think they are really friends... no clue.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely the "ugly" friend in my bunch. Most of the girls I hangout with are much prettier than me, but I really don't care. We're not friends based on our looks. I don't think they ask me to go out so they feel "prettier" either.

You can shut your mouth right there because I think you're very lovely. And I don't like being told I'm wrong.
  • CP_9712
    CP_9712 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I know a girl through my sister that did shi* like this to her supposed "best friend"

One night they were out at a bar and the shallow chick was checking out this guy..... well this guy approached her friend, and they were hitting it off nicely.....

The shallow chick then went over to the guy's friends and asked them if he was blind and how could he go for her friend over her...... the shallow chick then proceeded to ditch her friend at the bar and left in a cab. When the friend went looking for her, the guys friends told her what her shallow friend said..... they stopped talking

What really irritates me is after a month of not talking the friend forgave her shallow friend and now they go out again.... some chicks never learn their lessons!

oh. My! Karma will get her for being so ugly, even if she was pretty..... *tisk*

Karma won't. I don't know why but it won't.
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    Lol I'm probably the ugly friend!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I tried that trick once. Thing is, whales don't do well out of the water.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My "Sissy" and I have been friends for almost 16yrs.
    In high school she always thought I was so pretty and I always thought SHE was the pretty one
    In our 20s our friendship continued to grow and we're very very close.
    At one point a couple years ago, she got up to 230lbs at 5'4".....I still thought she was beautfiul. I didn't even notice her weight. And vice versa. She didn't notice how much weight I had gained and still thought I looked beautiful.
    It wasn't until we had both gotten into fitness and down to the 140s, looking through old pics that we both gasped "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I WAS FAT?!?!" LoL

THAT'S true friendship. They're beautiful and wonderful in your eyes no matter what.
    A person who keeps you around to make themselves feel better is not a friend unless it's because they genuinely make you happy.

that story made my heart smile. :heart: :bigsmile:

She's in my pic with me .... she recently moved with her husband & kids 1600 miles away and I'm so lonely with them gone
    4 weeks till I get to visit :bigsmile:
    Options
    I once dated a girl who legitimately practiced this. She said she had an "ugly friend" she'd take out with her so she would look better.

All I could think was, given the attractiveness of said girl I was dating, that other girl had to be reeeeeeal ugly!

she TOLD you this? How long did you date her?

Less than two months. She was very annoying.

I assume she did not tell you that upfront, though?

Well not the first time I met her or anything. And I never did meet the ugly friend, that I remember anyway. No it just came up in conversation one day. It was reason #16 I didn't see things working out between us. And soon after that.. walking papers, lovely parting gifts, enjoy the home version of the game.

that is a good reason to see it not working out...
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am the ugly friend, I am also the ugly sister (which is even more irksome... because family will say it right to your face! They all like to remind me on a regular basis how awesome and gorgeous my older sister is). I don't hang out with women very much any more, I'd rather hang out with the guys- they don't ever seem to judge me like that.
    Options
    My "Sissy" and I have been friends for almost 16yrs.
    In high school she always thought I was so pretty and I always thought SHE was the pretty one
    In our 20s our friendship continued to grow and we're very very close.
    At one point a couple years ago, she got up to 230lbs at 5'4".....I still thought she was beautfiul. I didn't even notice her weight. And vice versa. She didn't notice how much weight I had gained and still thought I looked beautiful.
    It wasn't until we had both gotten into fitness and down to the 140s, looking through old pics that we both gasped "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I WAS FAT?!?!" LoL

THAT'S true friendship. They're beautiful and wonderful in your eyes no matter what.
    A person who keeps you around to make themselves feel better is not a friend unless it's because they genuinely make you happy.

that story made my heart smile. :heart: :bigsmile:

She's in my pic with me .... she recently moved with her husband & kids 1600 miles away and I'm so lonely with them gone
    4 weeks till I get to visit :bigsmile:

that looks like a fun pic and I hope 4 weeks fly by for you!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I didn't invent this. I've HEARD of it. I would assume the supposed ugly friend isn't aware and think they are really friends... no clue.

And generally an intelligent, kind, wonderful person who just happens to not be the standardized version of pretty.