KETONE DIET- what are youir thoughts on it????

Options
Was thinking about cutting out carbs and came across THE KETONE DIET
Anyone try it? Have any success or concerns
Any and all replies are welcome

Replies

• Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the "ketone" diet. I started with The metabolism Miricle (great info in this book) then Atkins. I am a believer and it is my way of life now. Weight loss is only one factor of why I follow a low carb lifestyle, mood, decreased sugar/carb cravings and increased energy. Plus my skin is better and I eat most of what I love. I don't have to sacrifice flavor for low fat. And because of the fat I am usually very satiated.

As far as 'no carbs' I don't think there is really such a thing. In all healthy plans have some net carbs from veggies for example. We have to have our veggies. I also increase my net carbs (total carbs-fiber=net carbs) on gym days because my body needs he extra energy.

Continue doing your research and you will learn why lower carbs works. Understanding how the body metabolizes is well worth effort and it will be useful knowledge no matter what plan you decide to use. Our bodies are amazing and only a mystery if we don't know how it works..

Good luck, Kim
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I recomend reading 'the ketogenis diet' by Lyle McDonald. Loads of info (over 300 pages) on ketogenic dieting and diferent cycles for carb intake.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet, low carb, high fat diet myself.
    I try to keep my net carbs (carbs minus fiber) under 20-25grams a day and try to do 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs of my calorie intake :)
    My Diary is Public, so anyone and everyone can see what I eat, it may not be the most perfect example of keto/lowcarb, but It's what works for me at the moment :tongue: Everyone and anyone, feel free to poke around/add me if you'd like :blushing:
    My success is listed below, and my boyfriend has lost 51lbs on the Keto diet himself (he's been on it longer than i have) so it's been really really successful in our opinion :happy:
    Try to research it first if your still thinking about it, low carb is NOT for everyone, but it does work out for some of us. :wink:
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I was going to ask about the Atkins diet but was afraid to have darts thrown at me! LOL! I've done WW, lost, but gained back. I believe moderation in everything. But, protien does keep me satisfied and feel full, not starved or deprived. I've been on the Atkins site all morning reading up on it. It's not as restrictive as I thought that it would be, (not allowing fruits and veggies). Please, be kind but share success and failures. Thanks!!!!!
  • iksworbez
    iksworbez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    down about thirty pounds so far...
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There is a keto group and some low carb ones. Check them out. I love Keto!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Keto is great! I love it, and my advice is to try it for yourself and decide. Some people can't do keto, others thrive on it. Just remember, you will go through 'carb withdrawls' as I like to call them, so you must give this diet a good month before you decide to ditch it. :)

I love it because I feel full, my skin has cleared, and I'm losing a lot of weight. I honestly don't miss the carbs most days. :P
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb/keto before. I've found that it's great for weight loss, but my lifts always stall or my progress is much slower. When I eat lots of carb filled junk foods I can put on ape-like strength.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't see the point in Keto diets. However, people are going to do what they want to do.

Only thing I will add is that if you can't see yourself following a keto diet forever, then don't start it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it's not sustainable long term, and becomes dangerous after your body's in ketosis for too long.

unless you've got an autoimmune disorder, you should really steer clear of keto diets.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    What Are the Risks Linked to High Protein, Low-Carb Diets?

High protein, low-carb diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol . It is well known that high-protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High-protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete a large amount of calcium in their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones. A diet that increases protein at the expense of a very restrictive intake of plant carbohydrates may be bad for bones, but not necessarily a high-protein intake alone.

Cancer. One of the reasons high-protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol . It is well known that high-protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High-protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete a large amount of calcium in their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones. A diet that increases protein at the expense of a very restrictive intake of plant carbohydrates may be bad for bones, but not necessarily a high-protein intake alone.

Cancer. One of the reasons high-protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Anyone who is maintaining a calorie deficit is burning stored body fat for energy, that 'article' is scaremongering in the extreme.

Personally don't follow atkins or a low carb plan because its too expensive for me OP.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Anyone who is maintaining a calorie deficit is burning stored body fat for energy, that 'article' is scaremongering in the extreme.

Personally don't follow atkins or a low carb plan because its too expensive for me OP.

even in a deficit, your body still needs glucose (carbs) to function properly. the brain in particular relies heavily on glucose. you cut out carbs completely, you're gonna have some problems.

even Mark Sisson doesn't advise eating fewer than 100g of carbs, and he's a huge proponent of a high-fat diet.
  • phatguerilla
    Options

even in a deficit, your body still needs glucose (carbs) to function properly. the brain in particular relies heavily on glucose. you cut out carbs completely, you're gonna have some problems.

even Mark Sisson doesn't advise eating fewer than 100g of carbs, and he's a huge proponent of a high-fat diet.

I'm sorry but it doesn't need glucose to function properly, the liver will produce glycogen regardless and regulate itself. Carbs or glucose are used in the production of glycogen but they're not essential to it. Carbs do not go directly to the brain. Yes people starting out on low carb diets get a 'fuzziness' or mental fog as some people call it in the initial stages of dropping carbs but that doesn't mean your brain will cease to function properly.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm sorry but it doesn't need glucose to function properly, the liver will produce glycogen regardless and regulate itself. Carbs or glucose are used in the production of glycogen but they're not essential to it. Carbs do not go directly to the brain. Yes people starting out on low carb diets get a 'fuzziness' or mental fog as some people call it in the initial stages of dropping carbs but that doesn't mean your brain will cease to function properly.

what kind of natural or healthy diet requires your brain to go "fuzzy"?

please describe for me how the body creates glycogen without the presence of glucose, because I didn't know it worked that way.
    Glycogen is a branched biopolymer consisting of linear chains of glucose residues with further chains branching off every ten glucoses or so. Glucoses are linked together linearly by α(1→4) glycosidic bonds from one glucose to the next. Branches are linked to the chains they are branching off from by α(1→6) glycosidic bonds between the first glucose of the new branch and a glucose on the stem chain.[8]
  • phatguerilla
    Options

please describe for me how the body creates glycogen without the presence of glucose, because I didn't know it worked that way.

Gluconeogenesis for a start
  • Hawaiian_Shirt_Day
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for more than two years with over 100 lbs lost. It's a lifestyle change that isn't for everyone but it works for me.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

cool - good to know.

however...
    Ketone bodies are acidic, but acid-base homeostasis in the blood is normally maintained through bicarbonate buffering, respiratory compensation to vary the amount of CO2 in the bloodstream, hydrogen ion absorption by tissue proteins and bone, and renal compensation through increased excretion of dihydrogen phosphate and ammonium ions.[4] Prolonged excess of ketone bodies can overwhelm normal compensatory mechanisms, leading to acidosis if blood pH falls below 7.35.

There are two major causes of ketoacidosis:

Most commonly, ketoacidosis is diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), resulting from increased fat metabolism due to a shortage of insulin. It is associated primarily with type I diabetes, and may result in a diabetic coma if left untreated.[5]

Alcoholic ketoacidosis (AKA) presents infrequently, but can occur with acute alcohol intoxication, most often following a binge in alcoholics with acute or chronic liver or pancreatic disorders. Alcoholic ketoacidosis occurs more frequently following methanol or ethylene glycol intoxication than following intoxication with uncontaminated ethanol.[6]

A mild acidosis may result from prolonged fasting or when following a ketogenic diet or a very low calorie diet.[7] [8]
    Ketosis is deliberately induced by use of a ketogenic diet as a medical intervention in cases of intractable epilepsy.[7] Other uses of low-carbohydrate diets remain controversial.[10][11]
    Long-term use of the ketogenic diet in children increases the risk of retarded growth, bone fractures and kidney stones.[4] The diet reduces levels of insulin-like growth factor 1, which is important for childhood growth. Like many anticonvulsant drugs, the ketogenic diet has an adverse effect on bone health. Many factors may be involved such as acidosis and suppressed growth hormone.[36] About 1 in 20 children on the ketogenic diet will develop kidney stonesIn adults, common side effects include weight loss, constipation, raised cholesterol levels and, in women, menstrual irregularities including amenorrhoea.[39]
    The classic ketogenic diet is not a balanced diet and only contains tiny portions of fresh fruit and vegetables, fortified cereals and calcium-rich foods. In particular, the B vitamins, calcium and vitamin D must be artificially supplemented.

what about this seems like a good idea?

and what's your plan long-term? do you plan on eating like this the rest of your life?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

That's not what you want your body to do since you are now burning through protein stores.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    let's do this another way. instead of flaming you guys and trying to prove you wrong... i'm actually curious why you all chose to go this route (or are thinking about it)

what do you see as the benefits of a keto diet? what draws you to it in the first place? (i promise i'm not setting a trap or anything, i'm just curious)