KETONE DIET- what are youir thoughts on it????

Options

Replies

• Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    unless you've got an autoimmune disorder, you should really steer clear of keto diets.

CoachReddy, I've never heard anyone talk about these two things together. Is keto somehow helpful for people with autoimmune issues, or did you mean metabolic disorders?

haha wow. yeah... that's what i meant. brain fart. sorry.

Lol. Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Just got my hopes up a little bit. :wink:

Actually Paleo and keto are excellent for auto immune disorders- and if you want to take it further then the auto immune protocol is even better but it's very restricted. Anyone wanting to know more about this particular point feel free to message me

Edit: my photo was taken a week ago, I haven't been able to exercise since last June....still got muscle despite spending many months bed bound. Paleo and keto have allowed me to have some of my life back and to retain a decent amount of muscle whilst severely limited in movement
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    And with Iron_Pheonix she REALLY knows about this.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I didn't say you were living an unhealthy lifestyle, I said it has risks and can be dangerous long-term.

paleo is not more restricted? i follow Mark Sisson who suggests 100-150g of carbs/day.

you've been doing this for a couple months and you've seen amazing results. Congrats! But what's the endgame? Are you going to eat like this for life? Do you feel that's viable?

If done properly, Paleo is more restricted. You're unable to eat any wheat or tubers (like on keto keto), no dairy (you can have dairy on keto), and although you can have fruit, the Paleo or "caveman" diet only allows SEASONAL fruit and veg, as would've been eaten by people native to the area. This may mean little fruit, no fruit, or seasonal fruit, depending where you live.

Long term, yes. I couldn't be happier with the way Keto has treated me and although I won't restrict my carbs AS much in the future, I will still still be eliminating a lot. I'll plan to start eating some fruit again (though I didn't even eat that much before keto,) probably 50-75g of carbs a day, but there's no need for refined starches or sugar in your diet. It's as simple as that.

I disagree with this............

Paleo is not more restricted than a ketogenic way of eating.

EVERY Paleo person I know eats tubers, especially sweet potatoes and some even eat red, gold and white potatoes. Most all eat fruit too.

Keto allows basically for protein, fat and green leafy vegetables, which is a healthy way of eating, but lets not say that Paleo is more restrictive than a ketogenic way of eating.

I have done Ketogenic Paleo and recently came out of ketosis and plan on getting back in to ketosis soon.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I didn't say you were living an unhealthy lifestyle, I said it has risks and can be dangerous long-term.

paleo is not more restricted? i follow Mark Sisson who suggests 100-150g of carbs/day.

you've been doing this for a couple months and you've seen amazing results. Congrats! But what's the endgame? Are you going to eat like this for life? Do you feel that's viable?

If done properly, Paleo is more restricted. You're unable to eat any wheat or tubers (like on keto keto), no dairy (you can have dairy on keto), and although you can have fruit, the Paleo or "caveman" diet only allows SEASONAL fruit and veg, as would've been eaten by people native to the area. This may mean little fruit, no fruit, or seasonal fruit, depending where you live.

Long term, yes. I couldn't be happier with the way Keto has treated me and although I won't restrict my carbs AS much in the future, I will still still be eliminating a lot. I'll plan to start eating some fruit again (though I didn't even eat that much before keto,) probably 50-75g of carbs a day, but there's no need for refined starches or sugar in your diet. It's as simple as that.

i agree with you on the latter (no need for refined starch or sugar)

But i think very few people follow paleo THAT strictly. Who cares what's "proper" or not? it's just not feasible unless you live in southern california. and the great thing about paleo is that there's no NEED to be that strict about it. Going that crazy just denies the world we actually live in, where you can get things at times a caveman couldn't.

that's a personal philosophy thing, not indicative of the majority of people who follow the paleo lifestyle.

I consider myself about 80% seasonal Paleo lifestyler..............I live in the Midwest and the majority of our growing season is April - October / November (depending on weather)

The things that I eat out of season would be citrus fruits and tropical fruits. We even have restaurants that focus on seasonal and local eating............that means if someone orders a BLT in the winter, they get a BL and no T in the months when tomatoes are not in season. :wink:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    unless you've got an autoimmune disorder, you should really steer clear of keto diets.

CoachReddy, I've never heard anyone talk about these two things together. Is keto somehow helpful for people with autoimmune issues, or did you mean metabolic disorders?

Actually Paleo and keto are excellent for auto immune disorders- and if you want to take it further then the auto immune protocol is even better but it's very restricted. Anyone wanting to know more about this particular point feel free to message me

Edit: my photo was taken a week ago, I haven't been able to exercise since last June....still got muscle despite spending many months bed bound. Paleo and keto have allowed me to have some of my life back and to retain a decent amount of muscle whilst severely limited in movement

yeah what the hell was I thinking? for some reason I second guessed myself when the poster above asked about autoimmune disorders, but I completely forgot about my friend's mother who has controlled her MS with a paleo diet.

thinking i had a brain fart was the brain fart. lol

http://www.terrywahls.com/The-Wahls-Protocol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I do what works for me individually, and I do eat carbs. Your right, we can not function without ANY carbs, but that's why it's called LOW-CARB and not NO-CARB. I believe I ate 65 grams of carbs yesterday I believe but I also consumed 43 grams of fiber. Hence, 22 net carbs per that day. I try to stay between 20-25grams a day. Most of that from vegetables.

I work at a sedentary job, at times 12 hours a day, am more then 100 pounds overweight, go to school, and am unable to exercise like I'd wish to without becoming a zombie from lack of sleep, so again, Keto works for me, and not for everyone.

As for your comment at looking at this like a diet, ummm... I strongly agree with that. This is a diet change for me, so I call it a diet.
    Can you please, or anyone, find me a healthy lifestyle change/plan (not diet) where I can eat pizza, burgers, fries, cookies, pie and cake everyday? I don't think that's possible, I'm not going to be able to eat any of that every single day on any diet plan. I'm going with keto because I love bacon, wings, cheese, etc etc etc and can deal with that plus the vegetables everyday. :)

Let people decide for themselves. It's their body, they will do as they please. But, this keto diet choice is working, and helping countless individuals. My body thrives waaayyy better on fat then carbs.

Tech you can eat anything you want every day so long as you stay under your TDEE, you will lose weight.
    I believe I read once that macros don't matter so much when you're losing weight, aside from an adequate amount of protein. They're more important when you're doing body recomp. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out. You don't have to over complicate things by doing low carb & restricting them. Since you're 100lbs overweight, the weight should literally fall off you from eating just a caloric deficit.

Unfortunately when you are 100 pounds overweight, about 99% of people have some level of metabolic disorder and the simple CICO doesn't work as simply as it supposedly should work.

I ate under my TDEE adhering to a calorie deficiet for years and didn't lose a pound until I started restricting carb intake. CICO often does not work when one has any type of Metabolic disorders .
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It's a superior diet for many reasons. It's how we all got here; that is to say, as a matter of evolutionary biology, it saved our ancestors from every major blight and famine in human history.

The diet provides a huge metabolic advantage. Compared to other diets, you can maintain all of your essential body functions while eating 8,400 fewer calories each month -- a 2.5 lb. advantage every single month.

As I've written in another post:

"[T]he reason why fat loss is so much easier for those on low carbohydate diets, especially a ketogenic diet (< 50 grams of carbs a day for most people), is because they have to eat 300 fewer calories each day, compared to everyone else trying to lose weight. Over just one week's time, that's 2,100 calories: a huge "metabolic advantage."

In that regard, the brain is unlike any other part of the body. It can only run off of two types of fuel: glucose or the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyyrate combined with a relatively small amount of glucose. Everyone's brain, regardless of his or her height and weight, uses roughly the same amount of calories.

When a person is eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates a day, they produce sufficient amounts of the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate to fuel the majority of the brain's energy needs -- roughly 75%. By limiting carbohydrates and not spiking insulin all day long, ketogenic dieters are always in so-called "fat burning mode": hormone sensitive lipase is upregulated all the time, resulting in the constant breakdown and mobilization of triglycerides. As those triglycerides are broken down, the liver immediately grabs its share of the fatty acids and glycerol to fuel the brain. The liver does so by making beta-hydroxybutyrate out of the fatty acids and uses the glycerol to make glucose in a process called "gluconeogenesis."

People who simply cut calories never produce enough beta-hydroxybutyrate to sufficiently fuel their brains. As a result, they are invariably subject to hypoglycemia and have to eat carbohydrates every time their glycogen runs low. On a ketogenic diet, the brain is always taken care of endogenously through the process above. Consequently, ketogenic dieters never experience hypoglycemia and can effortlessly eat less and stick to their daily calorie goals while rarely even thinking about food. When the brain is fed, the overwhelming majority of the body's cells can function using fatty acids.

The ketogenic diet is the reason all of us are here posting in this thread. It's how our ancestors overcame every major blight and famine in human history. It's why I cringe when I hear those who never took high school biochemistry call it a 'fad'."

ETA: When people talk about the life-extension benefits of "calorie restriction," it's just a polite way of saying "carbohydrate restriction." Even then, however, most people don't really know what it works, but I'd bet a brick house against a bag of sugary donuts that it's because of the powerful attenuating effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on oxidative stress.

This makes a fantastic amount of sense, however, let me ask you this. Our ancestors ate ketgenic diets - not out of choice, but out of necessity. They also, once given the opportunity, returned to eating more carbs when available. Essentially keto is our biochemical hibernation to help us survive the less plentiful winter. My argument continues to be the same. Those people returned to eating carbs when available, because keto is NOT optimal long term! It's great for short periods of time, but eventually unless you cycle off it, you risk some dangerous side effects including loss of muscle mass which will slow your metabolism and spiral downward from there. Other side effects have all already been mentioned so I won't rehash. But if you're using the evolutionary argument - which is a good one - then you also have to recognize that it isn't meant to be long term.

A person doesn't lose muscle mass on a properly constructed ketogenic diet. Fortunately, technology has provided us with an infinite number of ways to advance evolution, from a nutritional standpoint and otherwise; needless to say, we could literally list about a million things. I'll just list a few: table salt, potassium chloride, and magnesium citrate. Anyone on a ketogenic diet who supplements with those three minerals won't lose any more muscle mass than anyone else.

What's more, beta-hydroxybutyrate is undoubtedly one of the most powerful protein sparing substances in our body. My numbers are incomparable from 42% down to 13%. Currently, I incorporate carbs because I recognize the body is dynamic. Toward that end, contrary to the other myth about the problems of reintroducing carbs, a simple 14-day rolling correlation study shows my body responding favorably to carbs since going under 13% body fat. In fact, it's my body's most preferred macronutrient since I've gone under 10% body fat.

"Slowing metabolism" as a dangerous side effect is positively bizarre to me. The entire goal of life-extension is to get to your ideal body compositon and crash your metabolism. A high metabolism equals greater pathology. I should mention, however, that I haven't been fortunate enough to crash my metabolism: my TDEE is still 3,300, even after 14 months of a ketogenic diet.

explain the slow metabolism being an advantage over a fast one. I've got a high metabolism genetically, and everything conventional wisdom tells you is that you should eat well and exercise to raise your metabolism. I'm definitely one to question conventional wisdom and it's usually a bunch of BS, but I wasn't aware that tidbit was potentially incorrect.

honestly we probably agree on pretty much everything here - I'm currently eating primal to see if it will help with my reflux/inflammation issues. I think the difference between us philosophically is about 100g of carbs give or take. lol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    christ, when will these fad diets go away. its very simple:

calories in, calories out.

not that hard. you dont need to cut carbs out which our bodies have needed since year dot. carbs have not made you fat.

Considering this..............The ketogenic diet has been around in the medical literature for well over 70 years.

I don't consider that a fad.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Well it's called The [Something] Diet, so that alone should disqualify it.

Everything you eat is part of YOUR diet. The term diet is what one eats........whether looking to lose, maintain, or gain weight.

A diet is a general term for what we eat.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I understand why people say this but it is literally not as simple as cals in/cals out if you have insulin sensitivity or an endocrine/metabolic disorder, which I do. The number of people like me who have done cals in/ cals out 100% correctly with total commitment and just not lost anything would shock you. In a healthy body, yes but please people, realize that not every body is the same. People with insulin sensitivity have no choice but to watch their carb intake.

Yes, very true...............people that are just overweight without metabolic or endocrine dysfunction just want to call us liars and tell us to try harder, even though we KNOW that their way of simple CICO won't work for us.

It is beating a dead horse to even try to keep explaining this to them.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    The Huffington Post had an article about Keytones. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/becky-hand/raspberry-ketones_b_2727943.html

Raspberry ketones, are you serious????

We are talking about putting our bodies into natural ketosis - not taking some dumb supplement that is obviously just a dumb marketing tool for the diet industry to make $$$
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    omg. the ignorance in this thread. it burnses us. Coach guy is a freakin' moron with bad "science".

you know I'm on your side right? I agree that a certain restriction of carbs can be helpful. I just think prolonged keto can be an issue long term. no one has shown me evidence otherwise.

also... personal attack. :smile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It's a superior diet for many reasons. It's how we all got here; that is to say, as a matter of evolutionary biology, it saved our ancestors from every major blight and famine in human history.

The diet provides a huge metabolic advantage. Compared to other diets, you can maintain all of your essential body functions while eating 8,400 fewer calories each month -- a 2.5 lb. advantage every single month.

"[T]he reason why fat loss is so much easier for those on low carbohydate diets, especially a ketogenic diet (< 50 grams of carbs a day for most people), is because they have to eat 300 fewer calories each day, compared to everyone else trying to lose weight. Over just one week's time, that's 2,100 calories: a huge "metabolic advantage."

In that regard, the brain is unlike any other part of the body. It can only run off of two types of fuel: glucose or the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyyrate combined with a relatively small amount of glucose. Everyone's brain, regardless of his or her height and weight, uses roughly the same amount of calories.

When a person is eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates a day, they produce sufficient amounts of the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate to fuel the majority of the brain's energy needs -- roughly 75%. By limiting carbohydrates and not spiking insulin all day long, ketogenic dieters are always in so-called "fat burning mode": hormone sensitive lipase is upregulated all the time, resulting in the constant breakdown and mobilization of triglycerides. As those triglycerides are broken down, the liver immediately grabs its share of the fatty acids and glycerol to fuel the brain. The liver does so by making beta-hydroxybutyrate out of the fatty acids and uses the glycerol to make glucose in a process called "gluconeogenesis."

People who simply cut calories never produce enough beta-hydroxybutyrate to sufficiently fuel their brains. As a result, they are invariably subject to hypoglycemia and have to eat carbohydrates every time their glycogen runs low. On a ketogenic diet, the brain is always taken care of endogenously through the process above. Consequently, ketogenic dieters never experience hypoglycemia and can effortlessly eat less and stick to their daily calorie goals while rarely even thinking about food. When the brain is fed, the overwhelming majority of the body's cells can function using fatty acids.

The ketogenic diet is the reason all of us are here posting in this thread. It's how our ancestors overcame every major blight and famine in human history. It's why I cringe when I hear those who never took high school biochemistry call it a 'fad'."

ETA: When people talk about the life-extension benefits of "calorie restriction," it's just a polite way of saying "carbohydrate restriction." Even then, however, most people don't really know what it works, but I'd bet a brick house against a bag of sugary donuts that it's because of the powerful attenuating effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on oxidative stress.

This makes a fantastic amount of sense, however, let me ask you this. Our ancestors ate ketgenic diets - not out of choice, but out of necessity. They also, once given the opportunity, returned to eating more carbs when available. Essentially keto is our biochemical hibernation to help us survive the less plentiful winter. My argument continues to be the same. Those people returned to eating carbs when available, because keto is NOT optimal long term! It's great for short periods of time, but eventually unless you cycle off it, you risk some dangerous side effects including loss of muscle mass which will slow your metabolism and spiral downward from there. Other side effects have all already been mentioned so I won't rehash. But if you're using the evolutionary argument - which is a good one - then you also have to recognize that it isn't meant to be long term.

You are correct in what your saying.........

However, since we live in times of "plenty" to eat and don't have to worry about where our next meal is going to come from........and most of us have more than enough body fat to sustain ketosis for a longer period it is not unhealthy or unsafe to be in prolonged periods of ketosis, especially if you are using it to heal our bodies from endocrine and metabolic disorders......aka restoring insulin sensitivity.

One should know their body and will know when to bring themselves out of ketosis and start upping their carb intake as the feeling of no appetite goes away as their body fat returns to a more normal percentage, that is when the muscle sparring qualities of the ketogenic diet go away and one will be at risk of burning muscle when there is no longer enough excess body fat to burn off.

I am currently cycling between a low carb, ketogenic way of eating and general controlled carb. This is working for me for heavy lfiting and getting decent gains.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Exercise, eat healthy. It is really just that simple. TDEE -20% and lift weights. Don't subscribe to gimicky diets, they may have short term loss but are not sustainable over a long term.

Sorry, but this is simply not true for everyone.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

A person doesn't lose muscle mass on a properly constructed ketogenic diet. Fortunately, technology has provided us with an infinite number of ways to advance evolution, from a nutritional standpoint and otherwise; needless to say, we could literally list about a million things. I'll just list a few: table salt, potassium chloride, and magnesium citrate. Anyone on a ketogenic diet who supplements with those three minerals won't lose any more muscle mass than anyone else.

What's more, beta-hydroxybutyrate is undoubtedly one of the most powerful protein sparing substances in our body. My numbers are incomparable from 42% down to 13%. Currently, I incorporate carbs because I recognize the body is dynamic. Toward that end, contrary to the other myth about the problems of reintroducing carbs, a simple 14-day rolling correlation study shows my body responding favorably to carbs since going under 13% body fat. In fact, it's my body's most preferred macronutrient since I've gone under 10% body fat.

"Slowing metabolism" as a dangerous side effect is positively bizarre to me. The entire goal of life-extension is to get to your ideal body compositon and crash your metabolism. A high metabolism equals greater pathology. I should mention, however, that I haven't been fortunate enough to crash my metabolism: my TDEE is still 3,300, even after 14 months of a ketogenic diet.

explain the slow metabolism being an advantage over a fast one. I've got a high metabolism genetically, and everything conventional wisdom tells you is that you should eat well and exercise to raise your metabolism. I'm definitely one to question conventional wisdom and it's usually a bunch of BS, but I wasn't aware that tidbit was potentially incorrect.

honestly we probably agree on pretty much everything here - I'm currently eating primal to see if it will help with my reflux/inflammation issues. I think the difference between us philosophically is about 100g of carbs give or take. lol

I have to run for now, but in sum, a high metabolism is obviously good for reaching and then maintaining our body compositions, but it's not good for aging, because it leads to more pathology through cell division, among other things.

If you're really interested in anti-aging research, it's like science fiction realized since the 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awared to Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn et als. from UCSF for their work on telomeres, telomerase, the Hayflick Limit etc.

Once we get beyond our major growth years, say 15-25, what we really want to do, if longevity is our goal, is get to our ideal body compositions, crash our metabolisms, and physiologically hunker down. That's where keto (beta-hydroxybutyrate attenuating oxidative stress), intermittent fasting, general theories of calorie restriction, herbs like astragalus (TA-65) and rei-shi mushrooms, Omega-3, Vitamin D, beta-alanine, carnosine, resveratrol, and all these other things become really important.

It all comes down to protecting our telomeres by strengthening, among other things, our immune system, meaning bone marrow, thymus, lymphatic system.

If you do decide to climb down into that rabbit hole, you'll have lots of fun, and probably be stunned by what the top molecular biologists and biochemists are talking about. It's not what you're seeing every day on mainstream TV. You'll find lots of these people, including Dr. Blackburn talking about these things in videos found online. Dr. Cynthia Kenyon at UCSF is another great source, especially on the issue of macronutrients, metabolism, and longevity.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Exercise, eat healthy. It is really just that simple. TDEE -20% and lift weights. Don't subscribe to gimicky diets, they may have short term loss but are not sustainable over a long term.

It's also recklessly reductionist.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Which part? TDEE-20% is true. That's just simple math.
    Lifting weights- ok you don't HAVE TO
    Gimmicky diets - ok every now and then some does a gimmicky diet and keeps the weight off. This typically means they used the gimmick diet as a stepping stone to a new lifestyle.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

There are some rheumatologists who believe that a high carb (especially refined carbs) and dairy diet makes autoimmune diseases worse.

I was part of a study way waaaay back about 20 odd years ago. And, in all honesty, disease activity as measured by eat and crp did decrease when I had less of either. I was a teenager and about 123 lbs at the time. I didn't carry on with it because I was vegetarian and dependent upon my mother. As far as she's concerned, a meal isn't a meal without at least three servings of processed meat, 4 dairy and about ten of refined carbs and hydrogenated fats, though. So all I had access to was cheap white bread, cheap hard cheese (or more likely processed cheese) and pasta most of the time.

I don't know if the successes reported had a correlation with the immune disease reacting to certain products and then going haywire, or whether it was dismissed in the end. But, purely anecdotally, once I was later referred to a dietician who had a fit at the thought of my eating higher protein and lower carbs, she demanded that I filled the plate with carbs at every meal and never ate more than an ounce of protein ever again. She also promised that i was guaranteed to lose the bit if extra weight ibhad been carrying since having my youngest. So I followed that. And had a massive, massive RA flare that took years to go away. And I put on over 70lbs.

The stuff about avoiding nightshade veg is definitely bullcrap, though. And vinegar.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Gimmicky diets - ok every now and then some does a gimmicky diet and keeps the weight off. This typically means they used the gimmick diet as a stepping stone to a new lifestyle.

You can't tell me what works regardless. That is insane at best.

I have lived through this with undiagnosed metabolic disorders and was unexplainably gaining weight, even though I was correctly measured and was told to eat x amount of calories and was even given a meal plan, which I adhered to 100% and gained weight.

Try living with metabolic and endocrine disorders and try to lose weight with your so simple reasoning and get back with me when you find it difficult or impossible to lose weight.

Don't tell me unless you have been in MY shoes, which it is so obvious that you haven't.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

You can't tell me what works regardless. That is insane at best.

I have lived through this with undiagnosed metabolic disorders and was unexplainably gaining weight, even though I was correctly measured and was told to eat x amount of calories and was even given a meal plan, which I adhered to 100% and gained weight.

Try living with metabolic and endocrine disorders and try to lose weight with your so simple reasoning and get back with me when you find it difficult or impossible to lose weight.

Don't tell me unless you have been in MY shoes, which it is so obvious that you haven't.

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

If you consume less than that, you lose weight.

Sorry but this is true.

In your case, it sounds like your actual TDEE was lower than calculated.

If I screwed up how I balance my checkbook, does that invalidate mathematics?