KETONE DIET- what are youir thoughts on it????

Options

Replies

• JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I chose keto/low carb high fat for similar reasons @shilomatic did, with your conventional high carb, low fat diet, I found myself weak, hungry, angry about 85% of the time, and not satisfied with my "healthy choices" that weren't making me feel good. I tried them for a good month or so, but I was just, simply put, not in a good place.

Weight loss journeys are different for everyone on every single diet/exercise plan. Every single BODY reacts differently, some may have it easier and can deal with the hunger, but I don't. And I won't subject myself to that, not with Keto as an alternative that works and allows me to eat real food, and lose weight.

Keto helped me deal with my HUNGER. Which is the reason that I fail at most diets, I get so hungry, I ended up binge eating everything I was restrciting.
    With High Fat, and Low Carb, I have more energy, I am more focused, and can eat healthy, satisfying foods that keep me full longer then carbs.
    I mainly eat vegetables, healthy fats (nuts, avocados, coconut oil, butter), and meat. What's not to love?

Yes, I understand that it's not "long-term" but once I reach my goal weight, (I have a lot to lose) I plan to switch to "eating clean" or "primal" or paleo" I know these plans are not all not the same, but they allow you to eat real food, just like keto, and not any refined carbs and sugars.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I chose keto/low carb high fat for similar reasons @shilomatic did, with your conventional high carb, low fat diet, I found myself weak, hungry, angry about 85% of the time, and not satisfied with my "healthy choices" that weren't making me feel good. I tried them for a good month or so, but I was just, simply put, not in a good place.

Weight loss journeys are different for everyone on every single diet/exercise plan. Every single BODY reacts differently, some may have it easier and can deal with the hunger, but I don't. And I won't subject myself to that, not with Keto as an alternative that works and allows me to eat real food, and lose weight.

Keto helped me deal with my HUNGER. Which is the reason that I fail at most diets, I get so hungry, I ended up binge eating everything I was restrciting.
    With High Fat, and Low Carb, I have more energy, I am more focused, and can eat healthy, satisfying foods that keep me full longer then carbs.
    I eat mainly eat vegetables, healthy fats (nuts, avocados, coconut oil, butter), and meat. What's not to love?

Yes, I understand that it's not "long-term" but once I reach my goal weight, I plan to switch to "eating clean" "primal" or paleo" I know those are all not the same, just haven't done as much research.

the problem is you look at eating healthy as a "diet" where you restrict yourself whether by calories or a certain macronutrient. You were trying to make your hunger go away, and that's why you failed at those other diets. Hunger's there for a reason! Because your body needs nutrients! And it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Simply eating more veggies and fruits than meat and grain/starch carbs will do the trick - no gimmicks involved. But restricting your carbs to the point of Ketosis has no extra benefit that eating 100g of carbs won't have. You may lose weight faster, but you're not just losing fat, you're losing muscle as well, because carbs are used in the maintenance and repair of muscle tissues. And without sufficient muscle tissue, you won't burn calories as well and you may end up SLOWING your metabolism instead of raising it.

No one has a gun to your head that says you must pick "High Carb, Low Fat" or "High Fat, Low Carb" - you can split the difference and be just fine.

But listen, at the end of the day I wish you the best of luck - and hopefully you reach your goals. But just know, being healthy and losing weight really isn't as complicated as it seems.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I think that you will find this website very helpful
    www.whole9life.com all the info is free and you can get the book at barnes and noble for $17.92
  • JessicaOnKeto
    Options
    I do what works for me individually, and I do eat carbs. Your right, we can not function without ANY carbs, but that's why it's called LOW-CARB and not NO-CARB. I believe I ate 65 grams of carbs yesterday I believe but I also consumed 43 grams of fiber. Hence, 22 net carbs per that day. I try to stay between 20-25grams a day. Most of that from vegetables.

I work at a sedentary job, at times 12 hours a day, am more then 100 pounds overweight, go to school, and am unable to exercise like I'd wish to without becoming a zombie from lack of sleep, so again, Keto works for me, and not for everyone.

As for your comment at looking at this like a diet, ummm... I strongly agree with that. This is a diet change for me, so I call it a diet.
    Can you please, or anyone, find me a healthy lifestyle change/plan (not diet) where I can eat pizza, burgers, fries, cookies, pie and cake everyday? I don't think that's possible, I'm not going to be able to eat any of that every single day on any diet plan. I'm going with keto because I love bacon, wings, cheese, etc etc etc and can deal with that plus the vegetables everyday. :)

Let people decide for themselves. It's their body, they will do as they please. But, this keto diet choice is working, and helping countless individuals. My body thrives waaayyy better on fat then carbs.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I do what works for me individually, and I do eat carbs. Your right, we can not function without ANY carbs, but that's why it's called LOW-CARB and not NO-CARB. I believe I ate 65 grams of carbs yesterday I believe but I also consumed 43 grams of fiber. Hence, 22 net carbs per that day. I try to stay between 20-25grams a day. Most of that from vegetables.

I work at a sedentary job, at times 12 hours a day, am more then 100 pounds overweight, go to school, and am unable to exercise like I'd wish to without becoming a zombie from lack of sleep, so again, Keto works for me, and not for everyone.

As for your comment at looking at this like a diet, ummm... I strongly agree with that. This is a diet change for me, so I call it a diet.
    Can you please, or anyone, find me a healthy lifestyle change/plan (not diet) where I can eat pizza, burgers, fries, cookies, pie and cake everyday? I don't think that's possible, I'm not going to be able to eat any of that every single day on any diet plan. I'm going with keto because I love bacon, wings, cheese, etc etc etc and can deal with that plus the vegetables everyday. :)

Let people decide for themselves. It's their body, they will do as they please. But, this keto diet choice is working, and helping countless individuals. My body thrives waaayyy better on fat then carbs.

Tech you can eat anything you want every day so long as you stay under your TDEE, you will lose weight.
    I believe I read once that macros don't matter so much when you're losing weight, aside from an adequate amount of protein. They're more important when you're doing body recomp. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out. You don't have to over complicate things by doing low carb & restricting them. Since you're 100lbs overweight, the weight should literally fall off you from eating just a caloric deficit.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    christ, when will these fad diets go away. its very simple:

calories in, calories out.

not that hard. you dont need to cut carbs out which our bodies have needed since year dot. carbs have not made you fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well it's called The [Something] Diet, so that alone should disqualify it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Well it's called The [Something] Diet, so that alone should disqualify it.

Was just going to say NO...but this was written nicely :smile:
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins Induction for the last 10 days. I'm down 14lbs. I had decided to do it 2 full weeks and then re-evaluate. One of the myths of Atkins or the Ketogenic Diet is that it is *high* protein, or *high* fat. It's actually ADEQUATE protein and ADEQUATE fat. The arguments (myths) of these diets as being so dangerous are not proven, and usually the slight evidence is poor design study. The fact is, your body HAS to switch to ketosis to lose weight. What makes a very common 30-30-30 diet successful is restricting calories to the point of causing SLIGHT ketosis, which also is what makes weight loss so slow. The ONLY way to shed fat on a body is to burn the fat, and the ONLY metabolic way that happens is ketosis.

What I have liked about Atkins induction (somewhat similar to ketone diet but not as restrictive/measured) is that after the first couple days, I lost my appetite. I also like that it's normalized my blood glucose. I am T 2 insulin-resistant which has improved with the weight I've lost, but it's not a problem at all eating very low carb. I've normalized my metabolic function through diet alone. I'm eating healthy. Eggs with spinach & tomatoes for breakfast, maybe some cheese. Lunch is a green salad with chicken or fish and some dressing, supper is a meat with a vegetable. Last night I ate pork tenderlion (probably a 4-5 oz portion) with 3c of braised spinach, 2T of cream cheese mixed in, and a whole tomato sliced. Does this truly sound dangerous? No!
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I understand why people say this but it is literally not as simple as cals in/cals out if you have insulin sensitivity or an endocrine/metabolic disorder, which I do. The number of people like me who have done cals in/ cals out 100% correctly with total commitment and just not lost anything would shock you. In a healthy body, yes but please people, realize that not every body is the same. People with insulin sensitivity have no choice but to watch their carb intake.
  • taso42
    Options
    I understand why people say this but it is literally not as simple as cals in/cals out if you have insulin sensitivity or an endocrine/metabolic disorder, which I do. The number of people like me who have done cals in/ cals out 100% correctly with total commitment and just not lost anything would shock you. In a healthy body, yes but please people, realize that not every body is the same. People with insulin sensitivity have no choice but to watch their carb intake.

There was nothing about insulin sensitivity in the OP, neither stated nor implied.
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was referring to a comment within the forum :)
  • taso42
    Options

not that hard. you dont need to cut carbs out which our bodies have needed since year dot. carbs have not made you fat.

Christ, it's not a fad diet.

When will these ill-informed e-cun+s with an illusory superiority complex go away?

It's very simple:

Thermogenesis plus nutrition science.

Do you know anything about sugars, carbs and the increasing obesity epidemic? I suggest you relax and just open your mind. Do a little reading (maybe, like, gee, in an actual book or even a reputable scientific journal). Your egocentric approach to life is doing you a huge disservice.

P.S.: I normally hate responding to b!tchy people in their own language but you really hit a chord. I think it was the brown note. So excuse the sh!tfit.

damn. low-carb fog?
  • JessicaOnKeto
    Options
    I'm sorry op, seems like we got a bit off track with the comments a little lol! :noway: sorry, it happens! :wink: What are my thoughts on the Ketone diet? I love it.:heart: I'm a supporter, if you and if anyone is thinking of trying it or are on it, send me a message/friend request if you'd like, I love new friends!. :happy:

Benefits of keto for me: :smile:
    -No hunger, due to the low carb high fat calorie intake your body is consuming.
    -Eating delicious foods like bacon, vegetables(cooked in butter/cheese of course), wings, cream cheese... theketogenicdiet.org has a list :) "What to eat on keto"
    -Gives you more energy, clarity, and I feel better then I have on any other meal plan.
    -I have stronger hair, better skin, longer nails.
    Cons of keto for me: :frown:
    -No pizza, bread, cookies.
    -Yet often times I find satisfying substitutes using almond flour and erythritol.

I enjoy seeing everyone's progress here of MFP trying to get healthy and achieve a healthy weight, everyone has a different method and i respect, although I sometimes don't agree with their specific method. :happy:
    I'm loving it and enjoying life on the ketone diet. and this method works for me. It may or may not be permanent, but it's working out so far for me. :drinker:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

When will these ill-informed e-cun+s with an illusory superiority complex go away?

It's very simple:

Do you know anything about sugars, carbs and the increasing obesity epidemic? I suggest you relax and just open your mind. Do a little reading (maybe, like, gee, in an actual book or even a reputable scientific journal). Your egocentric approach to life is doing you a huge disservice.

P.S.: I normally hate responding to b!tchy people in their own language but you really hit a chord. I think it was the brown note. So excuse the sh!tfit.

^Side effect of low carb!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

nevermind. not werf it.
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been on a ketogenic diet since last summer, and for me personally, it has worked wonderfully. :) And yes, I do find it sustainable long-term. I've tried going back to a "normal" diet on a few occasions, and it only made me moody, ravenously hungry, miserable and bloated. At this point, I can't imagine ever going back to that. If a high-carb diet works for you, I'm glad you've found what YOUR body needs--but please don't dismiss what works wonderfully for many, many others as "just another fad diet."
    Benefits of keto for me: :smile:
    -No hunger, due to the low carb high fat calorie intake your body is consuming.
    -Eating delicious foods like bacon, vegetables(cooked in butter/cheese of course), wings, cream cheese... theketogenicdiet.org has a list :) "What to eat on keto"
    -Gives you more energy, clarity, and I feel better then I have on any other meal plan.
    -I have stronger hair, better skin, longer nails.
    Cons of keto for me: :frown:
    -No pizza, bread, cookies.
    -Yet often times I find satisfying substitutes using almond flour and erythritol.

I love keto for all the same reasons, along with a couple more:

- My migraines (which I used to get at least 1-2 times per month) have all but disappeared.
    - I actually eat MORE veggies now than I ever did on a "normal" diet. ;)
    - The energy I have now is stable, SUSTAINED energy, never any sugar crashes.

Annnd I can't honestly think of any cons, other than the slightly higher cost of eating quality food. There are keto-friendly substitutes for just about anything you can think of. ;) Pizza with the "Holy Grail" crust is awesome. Flax bread and crackers are filling, delicious and great sources of fiber. Cream cheese pancakes taste just as good or better than flour-based ones. Chocolate mug cakes and coconut oil fudge sate my love of chocolate, and the various cookies I've made with coconut and/or almond flour have come out great so far.

Also, bacon. This thread needs more bacon.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I recomend reading 'the ketogenic diet' by Lyle McDonald. Loads of info (over 300 pages) on ketogenic dieting and diferent cycles for carb intake.

this thread should have ended here
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

It's very simple:

damn. low-carb fog?
    LMAO where did their post go? I want to know who I have to put in their place.
  • booklvr81
    booklvr81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the misinformation of the medical community will cause people to believe their way is the only way that is right, and everyone can do the same thing and lose weight.

Personally, calorie in calorie out did not work for me. I am a t2 diabetic with insulin resistance. I am on insulin, as well as oral meds. I also have Hashimoto's, where my body attacks my thyroid and it does not produce the proper hormones. Since adopting a more strict keto diet in January, my A1C dropped from a 9 to a 7. I have not had my cholesterol checked again, but can say from the experience of other t2 diabetics, they see a drop in most numbers. My high blood pressure has also improved, to the point where most tests are normal instead of indicating hypertension.

Hashimoto's usually goes hand in hand with celiac, but I have not been tested for celiac. I can say that by eating very low carb, I feel better... the fatigue that I normal feel is not present... my blood sugar is stable. When I do slip up and eat carbs, I feel like crap, my sugar goes up, and the fatigue comes back.

As for sustainability, once I lose the weight that I need to lose, I will be adding minimal carbs in a healthy way - a sweet potato, for example. But for now, keto is right FOR ME and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, since Mark's name has been mentioned in this thread, I'm going to post this article, in which he says...
    "Think about this: there is actually no requirement for any “essential dietary carbohydrates” in human nutrition. It’s possible to live a very long and healthy life never consuming much – if any – in the way of carbs, provided you get adequate dietary protein and fat. The same can’t be said for going too long without protein or fat. Cut too far back on either of those macronutrients and you will eventually get sick and die."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#ixzz2MrJVUbWH