KETONE DIET- what are youir thoughts on it????

Options

Replies

• shilomatic
    shilomatic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    let's do this another way. instead of flaming you guys and trying to prove you wrong... i'm actually curious why you all chose to go this route (or are thinking about it)

what do you see as the benefits of a keto diet? what draws you to it in the first place? (i promise i'm not setting a trap or anything, i'm just curious)

Very simply, by reducing calories I was always hungry all the time. I'd burn though my allotted calories by like 6pm and spend the rest of the night hungry... This was on the advice of a personal trainer (I've had two) and I had a diet plan that was created for me. How is that healthy? It may look healthy on paper, but if I'm going hungry or feeling weak, how is it healthy?

With keto, if I'm hungry, I eat. Everything I put in my mouth is decided by how I'm feeling. If I want something, there's always some type of variation that I can have so that I don't feel restricted. Hell, I had pizza (with a cauliflower crust) for dinner last night. I have more energy, I sleep better, and I've lost 27lbs in the past twelve weeks. Even if I WASN'T losing weight with this diet change, overall, my quality of life is better and I plan to continue restricting carbs long after I surpass my weight loss goals because I feel fantastic.

You seem to be confused as to how keto works, because in your first posting regarding the diet you claimed it was low carb high protein, which isn't even true. The ketogenic diet focuses on low carb, moderate protein, high fat. I'm not sure why everyone gets this mixed up.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    let's do this another way. instead of flaming you guys and trying to prove you wrong... i'm actually curious why you all chose to go this route (or are thinking about it)

what do you see as the benefits of a keto diet? what draws you to it in the first place? (i promise i'm not setting a trap or anything, i'm just curious)

Very simply, by reducing calories I was always hungry all the time. I'd burn though my allotted calories by like 6pm and spend the rest of the night hungry... This was on the advice of a personal trainer (I've had two) and I had a diet plan that was created for me. How is that healthy? It may look healthy on paper, but if I'm going hungry or feeling weak, how is it healthy?

With keto, if I'm hungry, I eat. Everything I put in my mouth is decided by how I'm feeling. If I want something, there's always some type of variation that I can have so that I don't feel restricted. Hell, I had pizza (with a cauliflower crust) for dinner last night. I have more energy, I sleep better, and I've lost 27lbs in the past twelve weeks. Even if I WASN'T losing weight with this diet change, overall, my quality of life is better and I plan to continue restricting carbs long after I surpass my weight loss goals because I feel fantastic.

You seem to be confused as to how keto works, because in your first posting regarding the diet you claimed it was low carb high protein, which isn't even true. The ketogenic diet focuses on low carb, moderate protein, high fat. I'm not sure why everyone gets this mixed up.

no i'm aware of that, i was just posting what WebMD had listed as their info on Ketogenic diets, but it IS high protein compared to RDAs

basically it seems to me that Keto is an exaggerated form of Paleo (which I do believe in). How many g of carb do you eat per day, if you don't mind me asking
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

By it being a high fat diet, I'm assuming the theory is that your body will use fat energy to create glucose. However, the body doesn't use fat energy very efficiently to do this and only 75% of that get used. The rest come from proteins. This was mentioned earlier, gluconeogenesis. Your body will use amino acids to create glucose. What you have now is loss of LBM. None of this sounds like a good idea. Especially, long term.

Haven't you heard the saying "never trust a skinny chef"? :tongue:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

please describe for me how the body creates glycogen without the presence of glucose, because I didn't know it worked that way.

Gluconeogenesis for a start

That's not what you want your body to do since you are now burning through protein stores.

Its true that it can happen but when on a keto diet a person should be eating enough protein to compensate for that plus gluconeogenesis does not have to exclusively use protein to happen although its probably most likely.

To Coach I feel like my last reply was a bit curt and I didn't mean to be rude, I was in a rush. Regarding why a person might want to do this long term, I think most people who want to do keto want to transition into the paleo lifestyle that you mentioned when they manage to get their body fat under control. Keto would also suit a lot of people who lead sedentary lifestyles and who don't want to or can't increase their active time beyond a certain amount. Also from what I can tell the dangers associated with keto are mainly to people who either already have diabetes or who have prior kidney problems.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

please describe for me how the body creates glycogen without the presence of glucose, because I didn't know it worked that way.

That's not what you want your body to do since you are now burning through protein stores.

Its true that it can happen but when on a keto diet a person should be eating enough protein to compensate for that plus gluconeogenesis does not have to exclusively use protein to happen although its probably most likely.

To Coach I feel like my last reply was a bit curt and I didn't mean to be rude, I was in a rush. Regarding why a person might want to do this long term, I think most people who want to do keto want to transition into the paleo lifestyle that you mentioned when they manage to get their body fat under control. Keto would also suit a lot of people who lead sedentary lifestyles and who don't want to or can't increase their active time beyond a certain amount. Also from what I can tell the dangers associated with keto are mainly to people who either already have diabetes or who have prior kidney problems.

I guess that makes sense in some way, if it really is used as a transition into a paleo lifestyle. I think the issue is that - just like with any new diet - there's a tendency for people to jump on board without doing their due diligence on the risks/benefits OR thinking ahead to the long term. For many it's just "how can I lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible?" I feel like I see a number of those types of people jumping on the keto bandwagon because it DOES cause you to lose weight quickly - but I don't personally see it as a viable long-term option, as depriving your body of carbs and causing it to function in ketosis for a long period of time CAN have undesirable consequences.

Unless you've got a condition which requires a keto diet, do you think it IS a viable long-term option? I could be wrong.
  • shilomatic
    Options
    [/quote]

no i'm aware of that, i was just posting what WebMD had listed as their info on Ketogenic diets, but it IS high protein compared to RDAs

basically it seems to me that Keto is an exaggerated form of Paleo (which I do believe in). How many g of carb do you eat per day, if you don't mind me asking
    [/quote]

I take in less than 25g of carbs a day, and have been for a few months. All arguments and internet statistics aside, let's be rational for a second. If my health is improving - I am losing weight, I'm experiencing more restful sleep, I experience less "mind fog", and my overall overall physical health has improved according to my doctor - please tell me how it's possible that I'm living an unhealthy lifestyle? I'm interested to see how you could possibly counter what my doctor has told me. lol

You claim that you believe in Paleo and not Keto (though they're both primal diets) which is funny because at times Paleo is actually more restricted (carb and otherwise) than keto if you're doing properly. Again I'm confused, could you elaborate?
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I guess that makes sense in some way, if it really is used as a transition into a paleo lifestyle. I think the issue is that - just like with any new diet - there's a tendency for people to jump on board without doing their due diligence on the risks/benefits OR thinking ahead to the long term. For many it's just "how can I lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible?" I feel like I see a number of those types of people jumping on the keto bandwagon because it DOES cause you to lose weight quickly - but I don't personally see it as a viable long-term option, as depriving your body of carbs and causing it to function in ketosis for a long period of time CAN have undesirable consequences.

Unless you've got a condition which requires a keto diet, do you think it IS a viable long-term option? I could be wrong.

Something I left out and something most long term (or even short term) keto advocates would recommend is a carb up of some sort, whether it be a weekend, a day, or a couple of hours. This is to regulate hormones and would also get rid of the problem of long term deprivation. I agree that sometimes people see the initial water weight loss and think every week is going to be like this without properly thinking out what the next couple of months will be like or changing their eating habits fully.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I take in less than 25g of carbs a day, and have been for a few months. All arguments and internet statistics aside, let's be rational for a second. If my health is improving - I am losing weight, I'm experiencing more restful sleep, I experience less "mind fog", and my overall overall physical health has improved according to my doctor - please tell me how it's possible that I'm living an unhealthy lifestyle? I'm interested to see how you could possibly counter what my doctor has told me. lol

You claim that you believe in Paleo and not Keto (though they're both primal diets) which is funny because at times Paleo is actually more restricted (carb and otherwise) than keto if you're doing properly. Again I'm confused, could you elaborate?
    I didn't say you were living an unhealthy lifestyle, I said it has risks and can be dangerous long-term.

paleo is not more restricted? i follow Mark Sisson who suggests 100-150g of carbs/day.

you've been doing this for a couple months and you've seen amazing results. Congrats! But what's the endgame? Are you going to eat like this for life? Do you feel that's viable?
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I was on a Ketogenic diet. Went onto a more strict Paleo diet, then back to Keto, then eased my way out of it.

Yes, the weight loss was tremendous, but I didn't feel completely healthy, nor rested at all. I didn't notice this until after I came off the diet. Paleo is fine, because it allows fruits and things of that nature. I could probably go on a Paleo diet more long term, but still I wouldn't want to do either forever. I eased myself back into carbs, and now mainly eat whole wheat when I do eat bread. And I eat potatos, oatmeal, things of that nature.

I feel a lot better, my workouts have gotten longer and heavier as far as weights go, and I just feel more active and ready.

So yes, a ketogenic diet is good, but I'd only recommend it for a short term (a few months) at a time. Carb cycling is ok.
  • shilomatic
    Options
    By it being a high fat diet, I'm assuming the theory is that your body will use fat energy to create glucose. However, the body doesn't use fat energy very efficiently to do this and only 75% of that get used. The rest come from proteins. This was mentioned earlier, gluconeogenesis. Your body will use amino acids to create glucose. What you have now is loss of LBM. None of this sounds like a good idea. Especially, long term.

Haven't you heard the saying "never trust a skinny chef"?

I'm not even going to address what you said in detail because it's nonsense, and you couldn't even be bothered to google how keto works, so I don't see the purpose in explaining it to you. This isn't "my theory," I'm not a scientist who just came up with this one day. The most ironic part of your post is your quote at the end - Feel free to take a glance at my "About Me" and see what I do for a living. Surprise!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    This type of diet, or any other low carb diet will be most beneficial if you have low insulin sensitivity. You are likely to have low sensitivity if you are obese or just naturally heavier. If you have regular or high insulin sensitivity then a more balanced low fat/calorie diet will work better.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    unless you've got an autoimmune disorder, you should really steer clear of keto diets.

CoachReddy, I've never heard anyone talk about these two things together. Is keto somehow helpful for people with autoimmune issues, or did you mean metabolic disorders?
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Keto is great! I love it, and my advice is to try it for yourself and decide. Some people can't do keto, others thrive on it. Just remember, you will go through 'carb withdrawls' as I like to call them, so you must give this diet a good month before you decide to ditch it. :)

I love it because I feel full, my skin has cleared, and I'm losing a lot of weight. I honestly don't miss the carbs most days. :P
    is that why my baby name is "carbs" cause you dont miss me! :sad:
  • shilomatic
    Options
    I didn't say you were living an unhealthy lifestyle, I said it has risks and can be dangerous long-term.

paleo is not more restricted? i follow Mark Sisson who suggests 100-150g of carbs/day.

you've been doing this for a couple months and you've seen amazing results. Congrats! But what's the endgame? Are you going to eat like this for life? Do you feel that's viable?

If done properly, Paleo is more restricted. You're unable to eat any wheat or tubers (like on keto keto), no dairy (you can have dairy on keto), and although you can have fruit, the Paleo or "caveman" diet only allows SEASONAL fruit and veg, as would've been eaten by people native to the area. This may mean little fruit, no fruit, or seasonal fruit, depending where you live.

Long term, yes. I couldn't be happier with the way Keto has treated me and although I won't restrict my carbs AS much in the future, I will still still be eliminating a lot. I'll plan to start eating some fruit again (though I didn't even eat that much before keto,) probably 50-75g of carbs a day, but there's no need for refined starches or sugar in your diet. It's as simple as that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

If done properly, Paleo is more restricted. You're unable to eat any wheat or tubers (like on keto keto), no dairy (you can have dairy on keto), and although you can have fruit, the Paleo or "caveman" diet only allows SEASONAL fruit and veg, as would've been eaten by people native to the area. This may mean little fruit, no fruit, or seasonal fruit, depending where you live.

Long term, yes. I couldn't be happier with the way Keto has treated me and although I won't restrict my carbs AS much in the future, I will still still be eliminating a lot. I'll plan to start eating some fruit again (though I didn't even eat that much before keto,) probably 50-75g of carbs a day, but there's no need for refined starches or sugar in your diet. It's as simple as that.

i agree with you on the latter (no need for refined starch or sugar)

But i think very few people follow paleo THAT strictly. Who cares what's "proper" or not? it's just not feasible unless you live in southern california. and the great thing about paleo is that there's no NEED to be that strict about it. Going that crazy just denies the world we actually live in, where you can get things at times a caveman couldn't.

that's a personal philosophy thing, not indicative of the majority of people who follow the paleo lifestyle.
  • Hawaiian_Shirt_Day
    Options

^^This.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    unless you've got an autoimmune disorder, you should really steer clear of keto diets.

CoachReddy, I've never heard anyone talk about these two things together. Is keto somehow helpful for people with autoimmune issues, or did you mean metabolic disorders?

haha wow. yeah... that's what i meant. brain fart. sorry.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Does that mean people who do Paleo over here will eat little but salted meat and roots over the winter?

Mmmm, nutritious.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Haven't you heard the saying "never trust a skinny chef"?

I'm not even going to address what you said in detail because it's nonsense, and you couldn't even be bothered to google how keto works, so I don't see the purpose in explaining it to you. This isn't "my theory," I'm not a scientist who just came up with this one day. The most ironic part of your post is your quote at the end - Feel free to take a glance at my "About Me" and see what I do for a living. Surprise!

I did look at your profile. That's why I made the comment. Which was a joke, by the way. You obviously don't get what smileys are used for.

However, my comments are not nonsense. Gluconeogenesis is what occurs when the body is forced to create glucose from something other than carbs. I suggest you take your own advice and use that Google feature.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

haha wow. yeah... that's what i meant. brain fart. sorry.

Lol. Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Just got my hopes up a little bit. :wink: