Broscience

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    I would personally 99% of the time have the home made meal - I enjoy the taste and indeed the selection choices when I eat my own made food and with that food I generally use fats higher in omega 3's. Which I am certain you know the studies for relating to the anti inflammatory effects on the body etc.

No one here will drop dead after dieting on fast food (nor twinkies ala the twinky diet) but I am fairly certain you will not find the study nor the conclusion following the documentaries they all out recommend the junk food/twinky diet, due to lack of full understanding of the limited control group (and oft in these Tv/film documentaries numbering one person).

There are however a fair number of studies out there I have seen (not that I'm going to be a dog and go fetch) correlating red meat with processed grains/flour with increased mortality rates. Again however from what I have seen they are rarely carefully measured studies, making the entire decision making process, somewhat more difficult.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    So let me ask you something: say someone is losing weight while lifting and doing cardio. Do you think that his health, strength, or composition would be worse if he did substituted in a fast food meal once a day for whatever you consider a "clean" meal, provided the macros are all identical?

To answer you honestly ..... NOPE

Just because a piece of meat has 21g of protein, 8 grams of fat etc. Is just a part of the equation. Health wise, do you want your body to consume all the steroids and pharmaceutical drugs that the Cow was shot up with? Unfortunately myfitnesspal doesnt track that. You can ignore the fact that the beef consumed may have been injected with these hormones. And whether you think the cow is "organic" or not would you take the chance? Europe hasnt. Which is why American Beef treated with hormones is banned there.

Just because you look great on the outside, doesnt mean the inside looks so good. I was stationed with a 1stSgt Recon Marine who could out PT just about anyone on these forums. He wound up having 3 heart attacks. Goooooo Broscience!

So wait.. you answered "no." The question was whether the person who ate fast food would be worse off. Given the rest of your post, I assume you misunderstood the question.

Regarding your Marine friend, are you saying that his heart attacks were the result of eating fast food, despite the fact that he stayed within calorie and macro goals?

I'm not sure how to interpret this post.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member

There are however a fair number of studies out there I have seen (not that I'm going to be a dog and go fetch) correlating red meat with processed grains/flour with increased mortality rates. Again however from what I have seen they are rarely carefully measured studies, making the entire decision making process, somewhat more difficult.

and some of those conclusions are based off food questionaires that would put someone eating ground chuck in the same category as those eating trimmed sirloin steak...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Meh. Another term for younger folks to throw around.

As far as studies and such, I always sit back and watch the arguements fall to science and technicalities that most people really have no use for. In other cases, it really do come down to a difference of opinion (more cardio vs. more lifting vs. whatever). There is certainly a base science to health with little variations here and there. The applciation and practice come in infinite ways though.

Beyond that, this site does still fair as well, or better than other fitness websites IMHO.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    So let me ask you something: say someone is losing weight while lifting and doing cardio. Do you think that his health, strength, or composition would be worse if he did substituted in a fast food meal once a day for whatever you consider a "clean" meal, provided the macros are all identical?

To answer you honestly ..... NOPE

Just because a piece of meat has 21g of protein, 8 grams of fat etc. Is just a part of the equation. Health wise, do you want your body to consume all the steroids and pharmaceutical drugs that the Cow was shot up with? Unfortunately myfitnesspal doesnt track that. You can ignore the fact that the beef consumed may have been injected with these hormones. And whether you think the cow is "organic" or not would you take the chance? Europe hasnt. Which is why American Beef treated with hormones is banned there.

Just because you look great on the outside, doesnt mean the inside looks so good. I was stationed with a 1stSgt Recon Marine who could out PT just about anyone on these forums. He wound up having 3 heart attacks. Goooooo Broscience!

So wait.. you answered "no." The question was whether the person who ate fast food would be worse off. Given the rest of your post, I assume you misunderstood the question.

Regarding your Marine friend, are you saying that his heart attacks were the result of eating fast food, despite the fact that he stayed within calorie and macro goals?

I'm not sure how to interpret this post.

Hahaha! Yeah, maybe I did misunderstand the original question?? I was answering if I thought someones "health, strength, or composition would be worse if he did substituted in a fast food meal once a day for whatever you consider a "clean" meal, provided the macros are all identical? "

I said nope because i dont think it is worse.....I also dont think its any better either because of so many other factors that just a caloric intake and macro breakdown doesnt account for. (although its definitely a step in the right direction....eating 1500 calories of pixie sticks every day probably isnt that good? <- cant wait to see the reply on that LOL)

I was hoping that my response would projected that I believe the question being asked didnt really even matter. And I was trying to use the 1stSgt example to communicate that benching 400, running 3 miles in 16 minutes or having 10% body fat still does NOT equate to being healthy. Yeah, he could do all that. And by most MFP standards people would think he was the perfect model of health (looking at the outside appearance and performance).....then bam. Heart attack.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    pancakes_zpsf8aa5f09.gif
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

But small meaningless study = worth while information?

This is what I'm trying to get at. Simply because a study shows XYZ occurred in a tiny dot of a population, does it really correlate with everyone else?

I saw a debate on this with Pulcinella and that silly "bodybuilder" Ian McCarthy.
    He was basically arguing with a real bodybuilder over science and studies, when the bodybuilder had tried xyz and achieved results from it.

I'm typically going to do what works for me, or what I've seen work, instead of changing my training/diet based on a study that was done on middle aged men who don't lift weights.

He was not arguing it doesn't work, he was saying that it isnt the only method nor the most efficient. Like him or hate him (personally I'm indifferent) he knows his stuff. Watch his interviews and discussions with the industries leading sports nutritionists and physique coaches.

There are only a few standards that have really stood the test of time. If you really want to find out if something is BS or not, try it out. The only things that matters is what works for you right? I eat IF style and have been for about 8 months now. I'm able to stay much leaner than when i was eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, all tracking staying consistent. Coincidence? Maybe... but as long as a look better and feel better with the current method I'll stick to it. I won't say it is the only method though.
  • 1. If you think that's all you are eating when you chow down at Taco Bell, you truly are a fool

Beef, Water, Seasoning [Cellulose, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Salt, Oats (Contains Wheat), Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Soy Lecithin, Tomato Powder, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract (Contains Gluten), Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Trehalose, Modified Corn Starch, Inactivated Yeast, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Less Than 2% Beef Broth, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Lactate. CONTAINS: SOYBEANS, WHEAT

Which one of these ingredients is the one that is destroying my body?

Soybeans to begin with. You like high estrogen? Eat GMO soy :)

And any "xyz flavor" or "xyz color" and you have another ingredient that is not good for you. Unless they specify the source i.e. "Red coloring made from rose petal extract"
  • jonnythan
    1. If you think that's all you are eating when you chow down at Taco Bell, you truly are a fool

Beef, Water, Seasoning [Cellulose, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Salt, Oats (Contains Wheat), Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Soy Lecithin, Tomato Powder, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract (Contains Gluten), Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Trehalose, Modified Corn Starch, Inactivated Yeast, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Less Than 2% Beef Broth, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Lactate. CONTAINS: SOYBEANS, WHEAT

Which one of these ingredients is the one that is destroying my body?

Soybeans to begin with. You like high estrogen? Eat GMO soy :)

And any "xyz flavor" or "xyz color" and you have another ingredient that is not good for you. Unless they specify the source i.e. "Red coloring made from rose petal extract"

So caramel color and a half gram of soybean oil are destroying my body?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Blah blah blah...

So is someone going to tell me how to get HYOOOOGE and RIPPED or not???
  • jonnythan
    Hahaha! Yeah, maybe I did misunderstand the original question?? I was answering if I thought someones "health, strength, or composition would be worse if he did substituted in a fast food meal once a day for whatever you consider a "clean" meal, provided the macros are all identical? "

I said nope because i dont think it is worse.....I also dont think its any better either because of so many other factors that just a caloric intake and macro breakdown doesnt account for. (although its definitely a step in the right direction....eating 1500 calories of pixie sticks every day probably isnt that good? <- cant wait to see the reply on that LOL)

I was hoping that my response would projected that I believe the question being asked didnt really even matter. And I was trying to use the 1stSgt example to communicate that benching 400, running 3 miles in 16 minutes or having 10% body fat still does NOT equate to being healthy. Yeah, he could do all that. And by most MFP standards people would think he was the perfect model of health (looking at the outside appearance and performance).....then bam. Heart attack.

OK, I'll be honest: I have trouble understanding how any of this relates to anything going on in this thread. I'll just leave it be.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Blah blah blah...

Just wait a bit, jonny will tell you what's worked for him.
  • jonnythan
    Blah blah blah...

GOMAD + Starting Strength until you plateau, then move onto 5/3/1 triumvirate. After 1 year, start cutting eating about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. In a few months you willl be both HYOOOOOGE and RIPPED.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Ummm, excuse me, why can't it be SISscience?!
  • jonnythan
    Blah blah blah...

Just wait a bit, jonny will tell you what's worked for him.

I am not training to be huge or ripped. That is not my goal.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    OK, I'll be honest: I have trouble understanding how any of this relates to anything going on in this thread. I'll just leave it be.

If I Have to Explain, You Wouldn't Understand
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

Because girls don't even lift.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member

Bishscience?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

Bishscience?

No no, that is the science of discussing their TOM.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Blah blah blah...

GOMAD + Starting Strength until you plateau, then move onto 5/3/1 triumvirate. After 1 year, start cutting eating about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. In a few months you willl be both HYOOOOOGE and RIPPED.

I thought 5/3/1 was ideal for strength, not hypertrophy.

At least that's what some of my meathead friends have told me. (Dammit! Broscience has led me astray once again.)

ETA: Enough of this. I'm going to Chipotle where I'm going to either 1) enjoy a reasonably balanced meal that fits my macros, or 2) irreparably harm my body hastening my inevitable death, depending on who you listen to.