Broscience

12345679»

Replies

• 4c6fc261.jpg

Hahahahaaa
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Blah blah blah...

So is someone going to tell me how to get HYOOOOGE and RIPPED or not???

GOMAD + Starting Strength until you plateau, then move onto 5/3/1 triumvirate. After 1 year, start cutting eating about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. In a few months you willl be both HYOOOOOGE and RIPPED.

I thought 5/3/1 was ideal for strength, not hypertrophy.

At least that's what some of my meathead friends have told me. (Dammit! Broscience has led me astray once again.)

jof, you're just too old to build muscle...

Johnny- That's harsh man. At 51 I was looking forward to another 20 years or more of building muscle. Say it isn't so.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    In fact I love all posts where people use their own individual personal success stories.

Yup. Go to the success area and find 100's upon 100's of people having success simply counting calories and adding in some exercise.

It's,
    like,
    magic -n- stuff.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    "You want studies? *kitten* you, i have scars and blood and vomit." Jim Wendler

I think it's hilarious when some person who is skinny and weak wants to tell me how i'm lifting wrong or when some obese person tries to tell ripped people how they're going about their cutting incorrectly based on some bs they read in men's health about bosu balls or green tea or some other "broscience". Some people just can't think for themselves.

Reminds me of a quote by CT Fletcher that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xXsdWRaFw&feature=youtu.be
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Ummm, excuse me, why can't it be SISscience?!

Because women, unlike 30 year old men, can admit when they are wrong and not start an eight page **** show on here to "prove it".
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Blah blah blah...

So is someone going to tell me how to get HYOOOOGE and RIPPED or not???

GOMAD + Starting Strength until you plateau, then move onto 5/3/1 triumvirate. After 1 year, start cutting eating about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. In a few months you willl be both HYOOOOOGE and RIPPED.

I thought 5/3/1 was ideal for strength, not hypertrophy.

At least that's what some of my meathead friends have told me. (Dammit! Broscience has led me astray once again.)

jof, you're just too old to build muscle...

Johnny- That's harsh man. At 51 I was looking forward to another 20 years or more of building muscle. Say it isn't so.

Harsh, right?

Mouthy know-it-all whippersnappers.

Hey Johnny! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

I think the Earth is round and I have heard it revolves around the Sun. Still not sure though....looking for valid references.

Watch a ship go over the horizon. Notice how it disappears from the bottom first, then the top? First question proven.

Watch the sun set. Then watch it rise the next day. Second question proven.

Try again.
    Making your observations match your theory, that's broscience dude!

The earth is not round.... It's an ellipsoid.

Observation matching hypothesis is broscience?

And to anyone standing on the ground or even observing with scientific intruments, Earth is so close to spherical that in practical terms it does not matter. Technically speaking our orbit round the sun is elliptical too. If viewing it from above the plan of the elliptic, you'd have a lot of trouble telling it wasn't round without taking precise measurements.

And btw, when claiming someone else is using "broscience" you should know what the heck you are talking about.

From wikipedia, and appropriately sourced therein.

The shape of the Earth approximates an oblate spheroid, a sphere flattened along the axis from pole to pole such that there is a bulge around the equator.[68] This bulge results from the rotation of the Earth, and causes the diameter at the equator to be 43 km (kilometer) larger than the pole-to-pole diameter.[69] For this reason the furthest point on the surface from the Earth's center of mass is the Chimborazo volcano in Ecuador.[70] The average diameter of the reference spheroid is about 12,742 km, which is approximately 40,000 km/π, as the meter was originally defined as 1/10,000,000 of the distance from the equator to the North Pole through Paris, France.[71]
    Local topography deviates from this idealized spheroid, although on a global scale, these deviations are small: Earth has a tolerance of about one part in about 584, or 0.17%, from the reference spheroid, which is less than the 0.22% tolerance allowed in billiard balls.[72] The largest local deviations in the rocky surface of the Earth are Mount Everest (8848 m above local sea level) and the Mariana Trench (10,911 m below local sea level). Due to the equatorial bulge, the surface locations farthest from the center of the Earth are the summits of Mount Chimborazo in Ecuador and Huascarán in Peru.[73][74][75]

To summarize, the earth is more of a sphere than a billiard ball.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Uh oh, someone using Wikipedia to prove a point. We don't need links and science, someone get Ed Viesturs in here instead.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Yeah, Matt. You are right. Studies often aren't perfect. Let's just go with Broscience then.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Yeah, Matt. You are right. Studies often aren't perfect. Let's just go with Broscience then.

Glad you took the time to give such a detailed answer.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    So no study showing their thoughts = meaningless?
    Thoughts are fine. Offering such as advice can be worse than meaningless.

But small meaningless study = worth while information?

This is what I'm trying to get at. Simply because a study shows XYZ occurred in a tiny dot of a population, does it really correlate with everyone else?

Not necessarily. And in this you are right. Many people incorrectly quote a study, do not consider the limitations or extrapolate to a different situation, population, etc.

However, I see bro-science to be exactly that - it is confirmation bias - using a study or more to validate a position or opinion without taking on a skeptical look at all sides of situation.
    As someone who read articles (and wrote a few) for a living, any single article is a small sum to a body of knowledge, a reader should be critical and skeptical about any findings and especially open to a position that contradicts a personal understanding in order to examine the information presented.
    Self-doubt is a must.
    Bro-science is about affirmations of possible correlation - and we know correlation isn't cause.

The misuse of science is just an appeal to authority fallacy. People will take the position -my idol, "science" is better than your idol,"the bro's" when it is improperly used and just quote bombed, etc.... You will even see people quoting an article to support a position and then when you go and read the article is is irrelevant to that point. So yes, often personal opinion trumps the use of articles here.

However, there is a lot of misinformation coming out of the gym from people exercising or lifting or whatever but not really taking the time to go in depth to how their bodies really and truly work. For me: Real science > personal experience > anecdotes/broscience = pseudo science with a few quotes.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    And btw, when claiming someone else is using "broscience" you should know what the heck you are talking about.

From wikipedia, and appropriately sourced therein.

The shape of the Earth approximates an oblate spheroid.... Blah... Blah... Blah...

To summarize, the earth is more of a sphere than a billiard ball.
    Man you should just stop.

Broscience = claiming wikipedia is an authoritative source and quoting it without providing a link or any reference.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I do believe in peer-reviewed meta-analyses of subjects. I don't believe in taking just one study as the basis of all of your beliefs, but a meta-analysis is a useful tool in looking at much of the literature and studies on a particular subject. I don't think most people on MFP have enough training in research methods to understand the difference between those sources which would be acceptable for use in a literature review for a new scientific study and those which are not. Note I said "most" people. I fully believe you have to have a good understanding of research methods and statistics to be able evaluate studies.