Could I wear this dress to a friend's wedding?

Options

Replies

• I_am_Kara
    I_am_Kara Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    Love the dress, but as many said IDk if white is right...at my wedding i wouldn't have cared but A LOT of brides do.

Also does it come in another color? Looking at the gold details as well as ur hair color and complexion...was thinking it would look lovely in a pale sage green :smile:
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The reason I was considering this dress is because if you look at the close up it really looks much more GOLD than ivory to me. Before all the feedback I saw it as a gold dress with a little ivory.

And I could get if for half it's price in my size - a rare chance. It does not come in any other colors.

I don't know what bride is wearing. Our friend is the groom. But I know she is a nice girl and not the bridezilla type.

I also have a black cocktail dress. That is also inappropriate for a wedding. When it comes down to it there is way more than one arbitrary restriction.

It doesn't really matter if she's not the bridezilla type, it's very possible she won't care, but her mom or grandmother might. Everyone has given you feedback that it looks very bridal and you'd be ignoring a well-known ettiquette rule just because you want to buy a pretty dress on sale. I'd be upset if someone wore white to my wedding, not because I'm worried about the attention being on me, but because it would seem like that person was purposely trying to cause a stir. The fact that you're a friend of the groom makes it seem worse.
    This, the fact that you are friends with the groom makes it worse, like you are trying to make a statement, very 'Rachel showing up at Ross's wedding causing him to say the wrong name' it screams "I love him, I should be the bride"
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I am a dude and I know the answer to this. You should never wear white or ivory to a wedding unless you are the damn bride. Simple.

Tell us the truth...you don't like the bride and you were once in love with the groom and this is your way of getting back at them...right?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Interesting how the OP has never come back to the thread.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am a dude and I know the answer to this. You should never wear white or ivory to a wedding unless you are the damn bride. Simple.

Ha! :laugh: This.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    NO. Well not if you care about what other people think.
    Looks too bridal. That would really not make a bride happy.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    All right people, I did not buy it. :(

The search continues. To complicate things I need 2 dresses -- as one is an evening wedding at a wedding hall, and the other one is an afternoon wedding at a country club and that calls for 2 different outfits.

This one would have been fine for the afternoon one (if it was not sold out):

_6986095.jpg

_6986093.jpg

_6986094.jpg

I could wear that one for an evening on the town or even a fancy brunch anytime.

Still can't find good candidates for an evening wedding. Those are tough.

Next thing I'll be told by well meaning people here is that if the bride's family is Jewish and religious I should not show leg or go strapless. There is a limit on how accommodating I can be!
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Next thing I'll be told by well meaning people here is that if the bride's family is Jewish and religious I should not show leg or go strapless. There is a limit on how accommodating I can be!

Oh, please. Cry more about how we called you out on your faux pax.

Anyway ....

This dress is perfectly acceptable for a non-formal/black tie wedding.

For that evening wedding, if you'd like to rent a nice gown, RentTheRunway.com has some really beautiful dresses starting at like $40ish (though most are in the $150 range). If you don't foresee needing a formal gown in the future, perhaps this could be an option for you. They're all designer labels, and they even have some fantastic jewelery on there to rent as well.

Good luck!
  • NYCNika
    Options
    d2f05dcc382c1c6a8ef721c0ec0cd1b4_best.jpg
    Love this one. But not only is is $300 just to rent, but I don't think I have the hight to pull that off. :(
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Check out Ross or Nordstrom Rack. They often have steals!
  • NYCNika
    Options

Did not like any of them at all.

I just bought the above orange and lilac lace dress for $270 at one place that still had it. At least that is an every day dress I can use for going out on the town or for brunch in the summer. With fancy earrings and shoes is OK for an afternoon wedding if I don't find anything better.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Lol. Please.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Love the flapper dresses! I wouldn't wear to a wedding though, a little too showy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Lol. Please.

I know right? Drama queen. The red dress with the pretty layer over top is really beautiful and would work for both weddings. I still don't see why this is such a big deal. Just go to the mall and buy a dress. Why does it need to be so "perfect". I guess I'm just not as into fashion.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also, you can check out bridesmaid dresses from some place like David's Bridal or Alfedo Angelo. Just don't pick a dress that matches the wedding colors (if you know) or the bridesmaids dresses (if you know). There are some styles on their websites that don't automatically scream "bridesmaid" dress, and those sites aren't too expensive.

For example:

This dress is quite lovely to wear to a black tie wedding, as long as you're not going with the cream/beige/blush option.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Crinkle-Chiffon-Dress-with-Mikado-Sash-VW360102

This one is also pretty, and you could lighten it up with light accessories instead of black like the model is wearing.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Long-V-Neck-Halter-Gown-with-Matte-Crepe-Bodice-VW360092

This one is super cute and classy without being floor length.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Short-Soft-Strapless-Draped-Dress-with-Belt-VW360103

I love this one, especially in black.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Short-Charmeuse-Dress-with-Flutter-Sleeves-85130
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • I_am_Kara
    I_am_Kara Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    All right people, I did not buy it. :(

The search continues. To complicate things I need 2 dresses -- as one is an evening wedding at a wedding hall, and the other one is an afternoon wedding at a country club and that calls for 2 different outfits.

This one would have been fine for the afternoon one (if it was not sold out):

_6986095.jpg

_6986093.jpg

_6986094.jpg

I could wear that one for an evening on the town or even a fancy brunch anytime.

Still can't find good candidates for an evening wedding. Those are tough.

this one is very pretty...did u say u got it?
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Omg i LOVE that dress! Wow its gorgeous - wear whatever makes you feel good :) i might ask the bride though, see what she thinks - if shes not bothered with the colour then go for it!