Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Bump, awesome thread.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm still old school. You wanna know what heavy lifting routines work. Go work out with power lifters. Just sayin...

Hole in the wall gym, chalk every where, straps, belts, wraps and of course a lot of bar bending steel and iron.
    Giant fan in the wall, brick walls even seemed to sweat, loud music blaring not ipad ear phone crap.

If the bar ain't bending you just pretending, lol. C'mon laugh thats funny.

Insert Tim Allen grunts!!!!

No, its not like that. Its just everybody is caught up with internet info instead of hitting the gym and find out what works for them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    No, its not like that. Its just everybody is caught up with internet info instead of hitting the gym and find out what works for them.

Precisely. I've heard it called 'paralysis of analysis'. People spend so damned much time talking, planning, and deliberating that they forget to do the actual work and can't seem to just use their brain. It's there for a reason.
  • TexasBridgett
    TexasBridgett Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good post. I've noticed a lot of people that use "lifting" and "heavy lifting" interchangeably. Weights are supposed to feel a bit heavy, but that doesn't mean you're heavy lifting! Especially when people start talking about doing 3 sets of 15 reps (which is what I do). Look forward to reading more of the comments later!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Precisely. I've heard it called 'paralysis of analysis'. People spend so damned much time talking, planning, and deliberating that they forget to do the actual work and can't seem to just use their brain. It's there for a reason.

Gallow, do you have a link to something that proves this? This sounds like broscience, yo
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Well nobody replied to clarify what it is I'm actually doing so I'm just gonna keep calling it heavy lifting, since i am lifting heavy things, especially on my power days
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Well nobody replied to clarify what it is I'm actually doing so I'm just gonna keep calling it heavy lifting, since i am lifting heavy things, especially on my power days

PHAT, while definitely falling under the guidelines that would qualify it as a more advanced level heavy lifting routine, has a sort of different goal in mind. The idea of seeing functional strength gains takes a back seat to training for hypertrophy and adding muscle mass. So really, you can call it what you want. Personally I place hypertrophy training in a different school entirely. But a lot of lines become blurred when you step beyond beginner level programs where opinions can differ.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Gallow, do you have a link to something that proves this? This sounds like broscience, yo

I think I read about the brain in a leangains article one time, but just trust me, it's there.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There is some reasonable info in the OP and I think his intentions were good. Unfortunately he has focused on a particular strategy that falls within his limited understanding of "heavy lifting" and concluded that that strategy is the only way. When he eliminated splits he also eliminated his credibility.

Come on people: Whenever somebody tells you that "their way is the only way" your immediate response should be.... "bu!!s...".

This.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not working it to your standards, I'll just call it heavy lift-en then
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The idea of seeing functional strength gains takes a back seat to training for hypertrophy and adding muscle mass.

To even take that a step further, most good strength coaches such as Louis Simmons and Mark Rippletoe have kinda knocked the whole idea of functional strength versus strength. Basically, improving your strength makes you more functional. If you increase your squat strength from 100 for a 1RM to 150 for a 1RM, you're stronger and more capable of handling everyday physical challenges. Let's not let the CrossFit ad's (not that I'm knocking CrossFit by any means) blur the lines of strength and functionality.

There are night and day differences between beginner, even within intermediate programs, and then advanced programs. Although not that a beginner couldn't start something more advanced, it's just that they will learn faster and experience faster games with something for more of a "beginner". Assuming they don't have a strong coach or trainer.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    To even take that a step further, most good strength coaches such as Louis Simmons and Mark Rippletoe have kinda knocked the whole idea of functional strength versus strength. Basically, improving your strength makes you more functional. If you increase your squat strength from 100 for a 1RM to 150 for a 1RM, you're stronger and more capable of handling everyday physical challenges. Let's not let the CrossFit ad's (not that I'm knocking CrossFit by any means) blur the lines of strength and functionality.

There are night and day differences between beginner, even within intermediate programs, and then advanced programs. Although not that a beginner couldn't start something more advanced, it's just that they will learn faster and experience faster games with something for more of a "beginner". Assuming they don't have a strong coach or trainer.

That last part is fairly subjective. I am constantly getting comments about how fast my lifts went up, and my 'program' is and always has been nothing short of borderline chaos. I firmly believe that any beginner is going to get back out of the iron whatever effort they put into it, so long as they aren't doing retarded **** like...whatever that Arsenio Hall Whoop Whoop arm motion **** is I see some derps doing with a five lbs. dumbbell in their hand. Will it really matter in a year's time? Probably not. By then, both trainees have blown through their noob gains, and are into the realm of slowed progress.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

That last part is fairly subjective. I am constantly getting comments about how fast my lifts went up, and my 'program' is and always has been nothing short of borderline chaos. I firmly believe that any beginner is going to get back out of the iron whatever effort they put into it, so long as they aren't doing retarded **** like...whatever that Arsenio Hall Whoop Whoop arm motion **** is I see some derps doing with a five lbs. dumbbell in their hand. Will it really matter in a year's time? Probably not. By then, both trainees have blown through their noob gains, and are into the realm of slowed progress.

Don't disagree by any means. I just know what kind of crap is going to come from StrongLifts and Starting Strength advocates that don't believe there's anything past beginner programs because of what they've READ, what they haven't READ, and what they've never TRIED. LOL. I don't feel like reading a spam-fest of ignorance.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump