3 Months Stronglifts 5x5.

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Ran across this program today. I have been lifting for many years on and off and never seem to make the progress I would like. Recently I have changed my program to be mostly cardio - running 3 days a week (have run a half and plan a full) and then mix in things like Kettle Bell, Spinning, and weights when I can.

I think I will try to mix this in instead. 3 days of 5x5 and 2-3 days of running. Will be tight in my schedule but I think I can force it for awhile to see what happens. I too am nervous about going and squatting just the bar or benching just the bar when guys in the gym have seen me do much more - but I want to do this correctly and not worry about being a girly-man. :-) This thread is a good motivation. Thanks!

I was the same way. I just started the program two weeks ago and although you feel silly with just the bar, you just have to do it and focus on your form. I haven't had anyone say anything in fact I've had a few comment on how low I can squat.

Like, you, I'm tryiong to run in addition to doing Strong Lifts but I think one will suffer once the heavy squats start. I had been running 6 days a week while doing a 3 day split routine and had no issues running even on leg day.

I really felt the run the day after even squatting with just the bar!

Yea I am squatting my body weight now and let me tell you I need the full two days to recover. They still feel tight when I am squatting usually even after warm up sets. You HAVE to do warm up sets or you will hurt yourself later on. So just get in the habit of doing them early.

For Warmups last night for deadlifts I did. I use the Starting strength iphone app to calculate them. I think it was .99cents
    2x5 @ 135
    1x5 @ 185
    1x3 @ 225
    1x1@ 255
    Then 1x5 at 265

It gets intense but stick with it.
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    You look great!!!! Keep it up
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    WOW! Awesome. Inspiration to get my Stronglifts in tonight!
  • RunDoozer
    WOW! Awesome. Inspiration to get my Stronglifts in tonight!

Thank you. Get it done!
  • markdlennon
    markdlennon Posts: 69 Member
    Quick question for you....

At your start weight, what were you eating calorie wise?

Thanks.
  • RunDoozer
    Quick question for you....

At your start weight, what were you eating calorie wise?

Thanks.

Im assuming you're asking how I got fat basically.

Probably 4000- 6000 calories. That was probably the average. Im sure I went over that some days. All I ever ate was fast food and at the minimum ordered 2 meals sometimes 3. Did this 2 -3 times a day. Or a pizza and a 2 liter of dr pepper. I ate like complete crap and not to mention a metric ton of soda.

I did this for about 4 years basically when my marriage started going down hill ... I had a 6 pack before that. Then It turned into more than a keg.

I would watch those shows that had morbidly obese people on it like biggest loser and they would basically be showing how I was eating. Made me disgusted. I am really lucky that I didm't gain a ton more.

I was at 250 at one point in like august but gained that due to medication. So I am really down 23 pounds for the year. I look at that starting pic now and just go ewww
  • RunDoozer
    It was really hard to wrap my head around the fact that I was eating the exact same way that some 600 lb people were eating. Thank god the thought of getting to that point makes me sick and gives me a lot of motivation to keep going when I don't want to be.
  • markdlennon
    markdlennon Posts: 69 Member

Actually, no. Hehe.

I'm wondering what you ate, when you started to drop weight.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    You look great. Can't wait til I can start this program in a few months (moving and getting a power rack for the new house!).
  • RunDoozer

Actually, no. Hehe.

I'm wondering what you ate, when you started to drop weight.

Yea wasn't sure. Thought I put it in there but I was eating 2500-2600 calories a day. My TDEE was 2985 then. But it's since gone up to 3459 now since I am way more active than I was so I'm trying to get 2800 - 2900 calories in. A lot harder to do healthy than at fast food lol.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Amazing work in just 3 months, what great results.
  • RunDoozer
    You look great. Can't wait til I can start this program in a few months (moving and getting a power rack for the new house!).

Congrats! That's exciting.
  • RunDoozer
  • RunDoozer
    3 month pack pic that I just took. Tho I forgot to take a starting one wish I hadn't

tWLu92zl.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Nice job! Great results.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Bump. I want to read this tomorrow:)
  • kelfer80
    kelfer80 Posts: 78 Member
    You look fantastic! It goes to show that hard work pays off! Keep up the great work! So INSPIRING!!!
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Way to go man!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    I just finished 2nd week of stronglifts. This is nice to see. Great job brotha!
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Awesome results!!

I do a modified version of Stronglifts, kind of... I can't bench because of shoulder injuries and I have to be super careful with OHP, but I squat, DL, and do (dumbbell) rows. Started a few weeks ago, hopefully I'll have fantastic results like yours!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!