Toxins

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    So (please note I'm not the kind of person that detoxes. I have a cousin who believes in them) the gist of it is every day your body absorbs (thru your skin, lungs, intestines, etc) chemicals that aren't good for the body. Let's say things like arsenic from playing on old wooden jungle gyms, pesticides on unwashed fruit, ammonia from cleaning the cat litter, aspartame from diet coke, etc.

Now, healthy bodies know how to handle this stuff. Our liver and immune system isolate toxins like these and neutralize them and then excrete the waste from that process. Thru our breath, urine, poo, skin, etc.

However, we aren't healthy. We aren't efficient at this process, due to all the fast food and meat and other things that are "hard" for our bodies to digest (again, this isn't me talking, just keep that in mind). So since our liver is busy with all the primary duties of digesting food, our bodies stores the "toxins" in fat cells and other places around the body, saying "we'll get back to neutralizing and eliminating that toxin later when I'm not so busy." But we never give our livers a rest. So the toxin store up in our bodies. In our lymph nodes, hell, I don't know where. Somewhere.

When you "detox" you are giving your liver and digestive tract a "break" from the hard task of digesting crappy food. So since the liver now finds itself an organ of leisure, it tells the body to bring all those stored toxins to it, so it can finally deal with the backlog.

So all that smelly poo, massive amounts of pee, itchy skin, runny nose or any of the other "detox" side effects are proof that your liver is indeed finally processing all that old, built up toxins, and your body is expelling it.

Haha! This is great. Well done.

(This post was satire, right?)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    gotta go. have a blast y'all. :)

Seems to be your MO

to... go... to work? when... I'm supposed to?

yeah... yeah that IS my MO - well done. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Seems to be your MO

The timing is always very fortuitous.
  • CoachReddy

Seems to be your MO

The timing is always very fortuitous.

Good point, I'm never up for 20 page arguments... I always cut and run.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member

and I'd argue that MORE people would be mobile and active in their 70s if they ate better foods, and didn't limit themselves to the things that "science" has "proven"

oh.... lol
    Pesky "science."

So who are you listening to? Dr Oz? Infomercials? Beach Body?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I have seen this question asked a few times but never answered, so I figured I would just go ahead and ask directly. When people are talking about removing toxins in the body via cleanses, juicing, or eating clean...exactly what are these toxins being removed? For the most part "toxins" seems to be more of a buzzword than anything, but I would love to find out more about them if there are indeed toxins being removed so I can understand the process.

thx!

There are exotoxins and mycotoxins that can develop in the bloodstream, there is also candida. A green juice fast helps with this stuff, and straight fasting.

Reminds me of when people say, "You don't need to detox your body, your body does it naturally." Think of a water filter it cleans out our water. So does that mean you're going to put motor oil in it because "it filters automatically?" It's a pretty idiotic statement.

Of course our organs are constantly functioning. If you over load it, it will take more time for it to do it's job. If you stop putting stress on it, it can finish the process completely.

Pure biology fail.

Neither exotoxins or mycotoxins "develop". They are produced by bacteria and molds, respectively. The treatments for each are very different and if you have any concern for accumulation of these in your blood stream the proper treatment is NOT a green juice fast.
    Your body is not a water filter, to try to reduce it to that. Well, that IS a pretty idiotic statement.
  • Sarauk2sf

Going to drink motor oil now because our body does a great job cleansing itself.

What a silly example.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

Going to drink motor oil now because our body does a great job cleansing itself.

Correct. You would immediately vomit. Your body is THAT smart.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

Correct. You would immediately vomit. Your body is THAT smart.

You might be right, my point is you can't constantly put crap in a system and expect it to not be stressed, which can lead to more severe complications.

Ya, I don't think anybody is arguing that one should constantly put crap in their body. But I didn't really read the whole thread. I suppose anything is possible in the MFP forum.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I have seen this question asked a few times but never answered, so I figured I would just go ahead and ask directly. When people are talking about removing toxins in the body via cleanses, juicing, or eating clean...exactly what are these toxins being removed? For the most part "toxins" seems to be more of a buzzword than anything, but I would love to find out more about them if there are indeed toxins being removed so I can understand the process.

thx!

There are exotoxins and mycotoxins that can develop in the bloodstream, there is also candida. A green juice fast helps with this stuff, and straight fasting.

Reminds me of when people say, "You don't need to detox your body, your body does it naturally." Think of a water filter it cleans out our water. So does that mean you're going to put motor oil in it because "it filters automatically?" It's a pretty idiotic statement.

Of course our organs are constantly functioning. If you over load it, it will take more time for it to do it's job. If you stop putting stress on it, it can finish the process completely.

Pure biology fail.

Neither exotoxins or mycotoxins "develop". They are produced by bacteria and molds, respectively. The treatments for each are very different and if you have any concern for accumulation of these in your blood stream the proper treatment is NOT a green juice fast.
    Your body is not a water filter, to try to reduce it to that. Well, that IS a pretty idiotic statement.

You're going to challenge me on the word "Develop?" Come on... These micro forms produce acidic wastes when they ingest and giest(ferment) energy from the electrons from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

The juice fast was about candida.

It's pretty idiotic if you don't understand the acid/base buffering system. So the idiocy isn't on my part.
    Obviously the fail wasn't on my part.

"ingest and geist energy"? What are you trying to say?

If the juice fast was about candida why then mention exotoxins. Candida produces no exotoxins.

Your attempts at obfuscation by pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo are not going to work.
    If you want to sugget that your green juice fast a) overcomes acid-base homeostasis b) that these changes are sufficiently long to eradicate candida you are going to need a little bit more than the insults.

Because, you know with my very very very poor biology education I only learned that the major system of pH homeostasis is based on respiratory rates. I'd love to understand how an ingested tea/juice/cleanse/whatever overcomes the respiratory compensation and bicarbonate systems.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    So, in summary, there is no actual proof of any "toxins"? Got it.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    No. There is no proof that any product works to remove them any better than your natural detox mechanisms.
  • CoachReddy
    The Nemours Foundation describes body toxins as, "A toxin is a chemical or poison that is known to have harmful effects on the body. Toxins can come from food or water, from chemicals used to grow or prepare food, and even from the air that we breathe. Our bodies process those toxins through organs like the liver and kidneys and eliminate them in the form of sweat, urine, and feces."

And you don't think it's at all possible for any of those systems to not operate at 100% efficiency at every moment of every day?
  • CoachReddy
    You are constantly exposed to toxins, which is worse if you live near heavy pollution, pesticide spraying, eat poor quality food, drink unfiltered water, or live in a moldy house. Your body also produces toxic trash metabolites that must be cleared, which is worse if you have digestive problems, sinus problems, are under high stress, are fighting a bug, are recovering from surgery or an accident, do not sleep enough, or physically wear yourself out (including exercise).

In general there are four primary toxin removal systems that must all be working in harmony with each other. These involve:

- The disposal of cellular waste products, especially lactic acid.
    - The removal of larger waste products through your lymph (smaller waste products go into your veins and are exhaled or
    sent directly to your liver).
    - The processing of toxins by your liver, most of which then go into bile and then into your digestive tract for final clearance
    (some are made water-soluble and go to your kidneys to be excreted in urine).
    - The final clearance of waste products by your digestive tract.

These four systems tend to flow from one to another. Any glitch in any one of these major systems of detoxification will back trash up in your body and cause problems.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health_topics/detoxification/toxin_removal.php

The article also states something I agree with - that prolonged cleanses with no actual food intake are useless and dangerous. I've never done a cleanse where I've eaten less than 800-1200 cal
  • jonnythan
    The Nemours Foundation describes body toxins as, "A toxin is a chemical or poison that is known to have harmful effects on the body. Toxins can come from food or water, from chemicals used to grow or prepare food, and even from the air that we breathe. Our bodies process those toxins through organs like the liver and kidneys and eliminate them in the form of sweat, urine, and feces."

And you don't think it's at all possible for any of those systems to not operate at 100% efficiency at every moment of every day?

So identify a specific cellular or tissue pathway that doesn't "operate at 100% efficiency" and identify the speciifc "toxins" that clog cells/sit around/do whatever toxins do and actually builds up.

Then identify a specific pathway, metabolic function, or chemical process by which any of these "cleanses" rids the body of excess amounts of that specific toxin.

I'll wait. Thanks.
  • CoachReddy

So identify a specific cellular or tissue pathway that doesn't "operate at 100% efficiency" and identify the speciifc "toxins" that clog cells/sit around/do whatever toxins do and actually builds up.

Then identify a specific pathway, metabolic function, or chemical process by which any of these "cleanses" rids the body of excess amounts of that specific toxin.

I'll wait. Thanks.

lol see this is the inherent problem between holisitic medicine and government and big pharma-supported science. there are flaws on both sides I'll grant you, but just because a specific scientific study hasn't been done doesn't mean something isn't true.

also I'm not a biologist. :)

EDIT: also see my post above yours for more specifics.
  • jonnythan

Yeah. That much is obvious. Maybe you shouldn't be giving people advice about mysterious "toxins" you can't identify and telling them how to get rid of them by magic cleanses whose function you don't know.
  • Sarauk2sf

thx!

Pure biology fail.

You're going to challenge me on the word "Develop?" Come on... These micro forms produce acidic wastes when they ingest and giest(ferment) energy from the electrons from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

The juice fast was about candida.

It's pretty idiotic if you don't understand the acid/base buffering system. So the idiocy isn't on my part.
    Obviously the fail wasn't on my part.

"ingest and geist energy"? What are you trying to say?

If the juice fast was about candida why then mention exotoxins. Candida produces no exotoxins.

Your attempts at obfuscation by pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo are not going to work.
    If you want to sugget that your green juice fast a) overcomes acid-base homeostasis b) that these changes are sufficiently long to eradicate candida you are going to need a little bit more than the insults.

Because, you know with my very very very poor biology education I only learned that the major system of pH homeostasis is based on respiratory rates. I'd love to understand how an ingested tea/juice/cleanse/whatever overcomes the respiratory compensation and bicarbonate systems.

You know I love it when you get all sexy geekified!
  • jonnythan

Yeah. That much is obvious. Maybe you shouldn't be giving people advice about mysterious "toxins" you can't identify and telling them how to get rid of them by magic cleanses whose function you don't know.

I've never claimed to be a biologist. :)

I did identify the toxins if you'd actually read my posts and links instead of just spouting crap.

You didn't name a single chemical in this entire thread.