Toxins

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

Interesting how the same people who bash cleanses are the ones who support IF... (psssst, it serves a similar function!)

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

why do you think IF gives you "more energy"?

EDIT: Also, just because you do IF for such-and-such a reason, doesn't change the EFFECTS it has on the system, which are similar to a cleanse.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Interesting how the same people who bash cleanses are the ones who support IF... (psssst, it serves a similar function!)

Lolwut?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

EDIT: Also, just because you do IF for such-and-such a reason, doesn't change the EFFECTS it has on the system, which are similar to a cleanse.

I have no idea why it gives me more energy. Because I'm not wasting energy thinking about food? I dunno. Don't care, either.

I do IF because I work better off one meal a day, maybe one or two more, but mostly one. I find it easier to get my calories in. That's the only reason - anything else is just a perk.
    A "cleanse" and IF are completely incomparable, unless you take the word "fasting" from IF and "Juice Fasting" literally.
  • Sarauk2sf

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

How exactly does IF give you more energy?
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    it's BS, plain and simple.

most ppl that refer to detoxing and cleansing toxins are implying that our bodies produce toxins that need to be eliminated from the body for optimal performance. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ever wonder why all of these evil toxins don't have a certain name or chemical composition? They're just called toxins bc it is BS.

There are actual toxins and toxicants present in the environment that can be detrimental to the human body. However, your liver and kidneys do a fantastic job of removing toxicants from the body. If they can't remove it, no amount of lemon juice will.
  • CoachReddy

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

(that was my question)

(also, the guy admitted it gave him more energy!)

And yes, the difference between IF and a cleanse is that with a cleanse you'll do the low-cal thing for longer than you'd go without a meal with IF (note the use of the word similar, not same). But that said, going that long without food gives your digestive tract an opportunity to clear everything out. When you're not eating on IF, do you still drink water/liquids? Those are still going to go through your GI tract and help flush out toxins.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    My natruopathic doctor explained it to me this way. We live in a dirtier world than we think and our bodies can not tolerate the amount of junk we inhale, injest and intake. The best way to 'detoxify' our bodies is to pee, poop and slough skin. Which means we need to drink clean water and lots of it, eat healthy fiber in the packaging God provided and use a loofa.

How do you reconcile the fact that we are living much longer and healthier these days?

longer yes, healthier? i'd argue that one...

People that are still mobile and active in their 70's and beyond is pretty impressive.
    and I'd argue that MORE people would be mobile and active in their 70s if they ate better foods, and didn't limit themselves to the things that "science" has "proven"

I like this quote. To many people on these forums have no experience on the things they bash. They're just parrots speaking without experience.

There are many bogus cleanse methods. There are some legit ones. Now the real question is, who here has done a legit cleanse, such as a green vegetable juice cleanse or some form of fasting and didn't feel better in the end?

Don't worry, I'll wait...

ibmSqyKNilDCbn.gif
  • CoachReddy

I like this quote. To many people on these forums have no experience on the things they bash. They're just parrots speaking without experience.

There are many bogus cleanse methods. There are some legit ones. Now the real question is, who here has done a legit cleanse, such as a green vegetable juice cleanse or some form of fasting and didn't feel better in the end?

agreed.
  • Sarauk2sf

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

(that was my question)

And yes, the difference between IF and a cleanse is that with a cleanse you'll do the low-cal thing for longer than you'd go without a meal with IF (note the use of the word similar, not same). But that said, going that long without food gives your digestive tract an opportunity to clear everything out. When you're not eating on IF, do you still drink water/liquids? Those are still going to go through your GI tract and help flush out toxins.

Yet again, you are not understanding what IF actually is.

So, you took one guys comment that it have him more energy and decided to come to the conclusion that it is the same as cleanses in that regard?

ETA: can you provide me with names of toxins that would not otherwise be 'flushed' out by eating day 5 regularly spaced meals throughout the day?
  • CoachReddy

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

(that was my question)

So, you took one guys comment that it have him more energy and decided to come to the conclusion that it is the same as cleanses?

Wow do you even READ these threads or just respond to my posts without bothering with the context? He said it gave him energy AFTER my comparison... lolerz.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member

(that was my question)

On behalf of "the guy", "he" also said that it was probably because he wasn't thinking about food as much. And, now that the guy thinks about it, he does feel sleepy after a meal, so eating everything before bed seems like the most logical idea.
    Still has nothing to do with a cleanse.

Cleanse = BS attempt to clean out systems, flush out toxins, etc.
    IF = Eating calories within a smaller timeframe.

No. Comparison.
  • Sarauk2sf
    gotta go. have a blast y'all. :)

Seems to be your MO
  • Sarauk2sf

Psssssst! No it doesn't.

(that was my question)

So, you took one guys comment that it have him more energy and decided to come to the conclusion that it is the same as cleanses?

Wow do you even READ these threads or just respond to my posts without bothering with the context? He said it gave him energy AFTER my comparison... lolerz.
    Then you probably should not have used it as your explanation then....lolerz

I was responding to your actual comments made in the thread quote.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    But that said, going that long without food gives your digestive tract an opportunity to clear everything out. When you're not eating on IF, do you still drink water/liquids? Those are still going to go through your GI tract and help flush out toxins.
    Nope. Wen you give your digestive tract a break, it just shuts down and won't do as much any more until you give it food again to digest. No way it would then mobilise any 'toxin storages' in the body to now work on the backlog.
    How many people have an abdominal scan after a detox, cleanse, or IF? I just had one after a month of alternate day fasting and lo and behold. -- the colon had just become 'lazier'.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    sorry op, I just read your question, should have done that before spouting off at the other responses.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    My natruopathic doctor explained it to me this way. We live in a dirtier world than we think and our bodies can not tolerate the amount of junk we inhale, injest and intake. The best way to 'detoxify' our bodies is to pee, poop and slough skin. Which means we need to drink clean water and lots of it, eat healthy fiber in the packaging God provided and use a loofa.

How do you reconcile the fact that we are living much longer and healthier these days?

longer yes, healthier? i'd argue that one...

People that are still mobile and active in their 70's and beyond is pretty impressive.
    and I'd argue that MORE people would be mobile and active in their 70s if they ate better foods, and didn't limit themselves to the things that "science" has "proven"

That's okay, I think the OP is still waiting on a legitimate answer too. Lots of waiting here . . .
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    gotta go. have a blast y'all. :)

Seems to be your MO

Gotta sell some shakes!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Unlike some of us (*cough* points at self *cough*), the body doesn't go out and rent a storage area to put extra 'stuff' and then forget about it.

The body makes use of these fat cells. Fat cells are storage units that maintain triglyceride and free fatty acid levels. In addition, there are several different hormones created in fat cells. "Adipose tissue is also a major site for metabolism of sex steroids and glucocorticoids." Indeed, some of the metabolic processes that go on in adipose tissue aren't always beneficial in the long run. "...adipose tissue is a major endocrine organ that secretes numerous polypeptide hormones and cytokines that are proinflammatory and proatherogenic."

Fat cells are also the preferential storage area for toxins that your body can't get rid of in some other way.

In general, you're pretty good when it comes to dealing with toxins. How your body deals with a toxin depends in part on how the toxin comes into the system. Sometimes the body's responses, which originated during a time when there was no industrial waste, aren't helpful. For example, when cigarette smoke comes into the lungs, the body reacts by transforming a major component of the smoke into a carcinogenic compound. (1)

Alternatively, if the body receives the toxin known as alcohol (grain alcohol) in relatively small doses, the liver processes it and the human frequently enjoys the process of being intoxicated.

Or, your body could store the toxin. "Most of us have been exposed to organochlorines found in pesticides, dyes, solvents, etc... and we contain residues in our adipose tissue, where they are preferentially stored."

Yet another reason to eat organic and not live next to a chemical factory

I don't mean to scare anybody, but you should be aware that if you've got toxins in your system, they can affect you adversely. "Because most of environmental chemicals, called estrogen disruptors or xenoestrogens, are toxic and estrogen/antiandrogen active, they can disregulate hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis potentially inducing reproductive disorders."

Similarly, if you're having problems with low thyroid levels, the toxins in your environment might be one of the causes. "Even after adjustment for weight loss, the related increase in organochlorine concentration has been correlated with decreases in triidothyronine (T3) concentration and resting metabolic rate."

Why all the talk about detox diets?

Researching all this stuff not only increased my paranoia level, it made me appreciate why people are so eager to buy books and products that purport to help rid your body of toxins. I plan to write another post on detox diets, but I had to write this one first, because there was too much material to fit into one post.

Three things I should mention here:

- All the kerfuffle about toxins in your system has some depressing basis in reality.

- Because this is such a popular subject, there are tons of unscrupulous people trying to sell you something to deal with toxins. I think it's safe to say that there might also some scrupulous people trying to sell you something to help with the problem.

- If you're obese, you have more toxins stored in your body. "... the obese tend to have increased organochlorine concentrations compared to lean individuals. During body weight loss, a decrease in fat mass results in lipid mobilization, and organochlorine concentrations increase both in plasma and remaining adipose tissue."

The preferential storage place is adipose tissue, the fat cells. If you are losing weight, and hopefully are doing weight lifting and aerobic exercise, then you're losing fat, which does mean that there are toxins circulating in your system. Even people who advocate Calorie Restriction do not recommend adopting the CR lifestyle too abruptly, for fear that losing a whole lot of weight quickly (and thus releasing a large the amount of toxins into the system all at once) might overwhelm the body:

"Our foods contain various chemicals (e.g. pesticides) that are fat soluble.... losing fat (weight) too quickly will flush lots of toxic chemicals into our bloodstream -- too fast for our bodies to effectively eliminate."
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Hi, OP.

Toxins:

"Toxins

Toxins are substances created by plants and animals that are poisonous to humans. Toxins also include medications that are helpful in small doses but poisonous when used in an large amounts.

Most toxins that cause problems in humans are released by germs such as bacteria. For example, cholera is due to a bacterial toxin."

I like you. Please don't eat cholera.

There's also this.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/408514-how-to-flush-the-body-of-toxins/

So, having established that toxins are cholera, and that water clears the body of toxins, I think I just learned that water cures cholera.......

:huh: