Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    yea ****s funny.. especially on stair master.. upper half of their body is laying on the machine and just their feet moving.. rediculous.

seems like my gym is full of ppl with stability issues.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Because they CAN

This
  • mak061
    mak061 Posts: 19
    Options
    coz it makes it easier and out of all the people in the world who exercise, an amount of these people still take short cuts. why not put your all into something if your going to bother doing it?
    I thought rails were for people who were not very steady on their feet.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is so funny I was on the treadmill today and I was sweating , not because off my work out but because I wanted to scream at the woman next to me to stop holding on :mad:
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Because the GROUND is MOVING!
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hold onto them because i've got a bad ankle and had an ankle reconstruction about a year ago...

For the first 10 minutes or so the pain is insane. So for me it helps with balance and easing my ankle into walking.
  • messpark36
    messpark36 Posts: 33
    Options
    It is a balance or coordination thing with me. Unless I'm running, I tend to want to hang onto the rails or else I feel like I am gonna fall or something, werid I know.....
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?
    Yes
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I use the rails as part of a HIT routine that improves my run time for military fitness tests. Running outside is not fun when it's 150 degrees, 80% humidty, and a permanent dust cloud in the air. When I actually take my PT test, I'll be back in the US and it will be winter.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    When I first started using a treadmill YEARS ago, I felt the need to hold on for balance but now the only time I do is when I've been jogging & slow back down, holding on (again) helps me keep my balance.
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Amen!!!!
  • thinbitch63
    thinbitch63 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse than being fat and doing the treadmill is doing it and face planting! The harder I hold on the more I work my arms!! LOL! See I just got double workout ! I'm not a seasoned workout wizard so I will be holding on until I get comfortable with it!!!
  • tastopanski
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the treadmill...and yes I'm one of those annoying people that hold on to the rails. lol. My balance is a little off, and my ankles are weak, hopefully this gets better as time goes on. I know I am losing some of the purpose of the treadmill by holding on, but AT LEAST I am making an effort in trying to better my self and my body.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    The rails on treadmills at my gym have a heart rate monitor/reader on them. Or if they're walking on an incline to help them keep up.

This, mine does. Or they could have health issues that you can't see. I have inner ear/balance problems and sometimes I need to hold on even though I know I am not going to fall.
    Yes I have vertigo so holding on if I get dizzy helps tell my mind to ignore the feeling that I'm falling down and spinning around. That said I tend to only use the rails to activate the heart rate monitor. But any body who has a motion sickness problem take a few weeks to get use to the whole ground moving as you walk thing. Took me two weeks of using my treadmill everyday before getting off the machine felt like I was getting off tilt a while, but brains will learn how to process information and it becomes normal over time.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My husband holds onto the rails because he has diabetic neuropathy in both feet and poor balance. If he doesn't hold the railings he is quite likely to fall.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill!

:laugh: :laugh:

And what business is this of yours??
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My thighs are fat and rub together and if I don't hold on at 2.8-3.5 mph my leg i can trip over my own feet. Going slower or fast it doesn't cause the problems.
  • mj1209
    mj1209 Posts: 6
    Options
    I wish I didn't have to hold onto them!! I have lost 55lbs, though so it IS working. I have nerve issues in one leg and can't balance properly on a treadmill so for me it really helps.
  • mustangmary11
    mustangmary11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Thank you.

I might add - OP did you forget where you came from? Or did you hop on and take off the first handful of times? Maybe they are new to the game and aren't used to walking on a moving floor.

My fitness level when I started at the gym was slug. I got on the treadmill and guess what I HELD ON. Not being used to it, it helped me with my balance. Yes I walk outside too and there are no rails, but my sidewalk is NOT MOVING like on the treadmill. I walked a total of .15 mile that first few times and stayed on 10 minutes. I now do several miles. I walk at a moderate pace for at least half hour, then I ride the bike for another half hour. Then next day I do the circuit, then switch back the next day. I've gone from slug to well not slug. Everyone works out differently. The point is that they are working out and moving!! Jeez
  • cynthiarochellebrown
    Options
    I think they are conditioned by their existence as part of the machine. Kind of a structural suggestion. Though really they should only be used for safety. Walking with arms not swinging is stilting - unnatural.