Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How do you all have such time on your hands? This is an awful lot of effort to be cruel. Karma

Too much *clap clap* time on my haaaands...
    perfection at 26. Very goo for youuuu!

Thank you *bows* thank you
    And cheers to you too! :drinker:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    And the responses keep on coming.

:facepalm:

Well aren't you the cleverest little monkey in the zoo ...

Not sure how clever one needs to be to spot a fishing thread by the title, but whatever.

Not clever at all. But you said it so many times I was thinking you were getting sad that nobody congratulated you on your astute observation regarding an obvious piece of troll-bait. I just wanted to be supportive. You're welcome, you clever little monkey.

Of all the garbage in this thread, that's what got you to respond.

I feel honored by your reply, thank you.

Personally, I don't see a lot of "garbage" in this thread. I see a lot of people who find ways to work out and get healthy despite having disabling conditions or diseases.

And yes, to whoever said those of us not liking the OP were "judgemental"--I guess I DO judge those who post things just to insult/hurt others. This may have been funny to whoever posted the original comment, but clearly there are a lot of people struggling with disease and disabilities who don't find it funny to be judged about holding onto the rails of a treadmill.

The whole point of the thread was to get a rise out of people. That's it.

That's nice...:huh: Not.

I'd rather focus on the positive things people do then spend my time trying to get a rise out of strangers on the internet, but to each their own. Happy Wednesday! :drinker:

I didn't write it, don't get mad at me.

Any thread titled "why do people" has one purpouse.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How do you all have such time on your hands? This is an awful lot of effort to be cruel. Karma

drinking before noon. I knew there was some deep problem here... Oops judging again :-)
  • beatleschic87
    Options

How are you able to do this without taking your hands off the rails?

I'm secretly Stitch
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

How are you able to do this without taking your hands off the rails?

:indifferent: :laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Treadmills freak me out. I've seen people injured on them. So yes, I hold on.
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    I do to check my heart rate. I have severe tachycardia and don't want to get my heart rate up to a dangerous level. That and the fact I can easily fall (I'm so full of grace ha ha) that I will hang on sometimes
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Thank you.

I might add - OP did you forget where you came from? Or did you hop on and take off the first handfull of times? Maybe they are new to the game and aren't used to walking on a moving floor.

This. All of this.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The rails on treadmills at my gym have a heart rate monitor/reader on them. Or if they're walking on an incline to help them keep up.

This, mine does. Or they could have health issues that you can't see. I have inner ear/balance problems and sometimes I need to hold on even though I know I am not going to fall.

I've had balance issues since I was a kid... and guess what... sometimes I lose my balance just walking along in the "real world" too. I prefer to walk outside but will use a treadmill, holding on, when I need to. And YES to the heart rate monitors in the handles. They have them on the stationary bike I use, too.
  • beatleschic87
    Options

drinking before noon. I knew there was some deep problem here... Oops judging again :-)

Oh you have no idea...
    Unfortunately they dont' have a coke snorting smiley
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I just hold on to the handlebars of my power chair when I use the treadmill. Got a problem with that?
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill!

Do you just copy and paste this???? Geez, what difference does it really make?? I could use my cane on the treadmill, but I think it would get in the way a little bit!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    When I'm walking on a treadmill I don't have the best balance. I can run at full tilt (and then some) and my balance is fine but in the one minute warm up walk and the 2-3 cool down walk I may be grabbing the rails for balance. I can walk anywhere else without issue but walking and not running on a treadmill brings out my inner klutz
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Yes! Good Man
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The rails on treadmills at my gym have a heart rate monitor/reader on them.
    That must be it! I didn't think of that. Thank you for answering.

Why is everyone on this forum so testy? Like you can't even wonder about anything or else you're judging people. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why average sized people were walking at a normal pace while holding on to the rail. Now I know a few of the reasons why: heart rate monitor and balance
    (although I must say you have to have really poor coordination to not be able to walk on the treadmill lol)
  • ajbaccou
    ajbaccou Posts: 25
    Options
    I hold on to relieve pressure off my foot sometimes (injury), heart rate, and keep from falling off I walk on 1.0 incline 4.0 mph for an hour sometimes i just have to regain my might (sp)
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hold on to see my HR every once in a while (there's nifty little sensors there!), sometimes right after finishing a jogging interval of my C25K and I need a little stability while I slow down, and on occasion to keep myself going straight - I naturally walk to the right when not paying attention.
    Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Some of us don't have time to workout during daylight and don't live in areas that stay warm and/or are safe to be outside in the dark. And I believe it's a bit hypocritical that you say not to judge others' workouts, yet you're basically telling the OP to run not walk, and to get off the treadmill and go outside.

That being said, don't judge someone till you know their situation and why they're doing what they're doing. That goes for everybody.

Edited for spelling.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    DUDE!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill and let a hottie with awesome spandex or a running skirt get on!! :bigsmile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I hold on to see my HR every once in a while (there's nifty little sensors there!), sometimes right after finishing a jogging interval of my C25K and I need a little stability while I slow down, and on occasion to keep myself going straight - I naturally walk to the right when not paying attention.
    Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Some of us don't have time to workout during daylight and don't live in areas that stay warm and/or are safe to be outside in the dark. And I believe it's a bit hypocritical that you say not to judge others' workouts, yet you're basically telling the OP to run not walk, and to get off the treadmill and go outside.

That being said, don't judge someone till you know their situation and why they're doing what they're doing. That goes for everybody.

Edited for spelling.

Yeah, I'm not running outside right now because it's pure ice all around and most people are not salting their sidewalks.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Thats the spirit.............dance puppetzzzz dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: