Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

^^This! The rare occasion when I use a treadmill, I rest my hands on the rails because I am less stable on a treadmill than when I walk outside. In the real world, your pace and stride length varies, on a treadmill you don't have that option and it throws many people off kilter. I can't run on a treadmill AT ALL without losing my balance, but I run outside in the real world just fine.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't know why a few people are saying this is a "trolling" thread...it seems like a typical (if extremely judgemental) question.

What impresses me the most, however, are all of you AMAZING MFP'ers, many who've posted on this thread, who are exercising despite a lot of different medical issues that you "could" use as an excuse to sit around. You inspire me to work harder.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Because Im scared I will fall on my face. I stick to the elliptical because of that. lol
  • webchickadee
    webchickadee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that?

I think the OP's question was a reasonable one, if he/she had stopped at the point I quoted above. It's asking for information about something they don't understand.

It's the remainder of the question/post that has brought up people's hackles (right so, in my opinion).
    Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

Yes, some of us are new to treadmills, some of us are not as athletic, coordinated or healthy as we may appear at first glance (young, not overweight or otherwise!).

The point is that person is THERE, at the gym, getting their body moving trying to improve their health. They may be at the start of their journey, or they may be a long way in (did it ever occur to you that person may have had a spinal injury and perhaps was told they would never get out of a wheelchair again.......kind of makes you look at their "railing-holding walking" in an entirely different light, doesn't it?)

As some others have mentioned here.....focus on your own workout, your own progress and your own technique. And if you do have questions, hold back the judgement or you'll just get flamed instead of getting answers you were looking for!
  • jennyrae3
    jennyrae3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 36, and average build, weight currently is 131, I've lost 34 lbs so far, only the last 20 with MFP. i use the rails because i have Lupus and my joints don't work well. The stiffness I suffer from and major Joint pain causes me lose balance easy sometimes. I look very normal to the naked eye. Some deseases can't be seen or even noticed by just looking at someone. it could be the folks you are watching (granted not all of them) have a similar issue. I try to not hold on to them but some days are better than others. I sometimes I have to depend on the rails. Hope this explains something...
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fit and healthy. I do prefer to walk outside however it's not always possible (e.g. heavy snowfall like today, or being on call for the hospital like the past two weeks).

When I am on treadmill I usually walk at 4.2 mph and max incline (level 15). To stay balanced I have to either hold on to the bars or stare at the controls all the time. I'd rather hold on to the bars and stare at hot guys around me.

Wish people would use gyms for their primary purpose and not to judge what others are doing.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

Personally, I hold on because I have a fear of falling. I had a very traumatic injury from running in December of 2008...I had a grade 2 ATFL sprain (with surgery) and a dislocated shoulder, two tears in my labrum (shoulder) from it. My shoulder surgery took FOUR HOURS to fix. And...healing from shoulder surgery is not fun at all. My orthopedic said it is one of the worst surgeries there are and I have to agree. It was 3 months before I could lift my hand up higher than my shoulder.

Oh, and my ankles roll very easily. Even in stability or motion control shoes.

So...that is why I hold on. And I don't care what anyone thinks about it! They can kiss it!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have inner ear/balance problems and sometimes I need to hold on even though I know I am not going to fall.

This. One of my ear canals is literally smaller than a two year olds'. You wouldn't believe the balance issues I have. I absolutely cannot use a treadmill without holding on to the rails, at least some of the time.

Jeeze, reading all these "I hate everyone at the gym who isn't doing exactly what I want them to be doing" threads is giving me a complex about going back to the gym.. Thank god I use the local rec center. Everyone else there is fat like me or old.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hold on because the dang thing scares the crap out of me. When walking on the ground I can stop anytime I want. I can't do that on the treadmill or I will end up through the wall and out in the parking lot, waiting for the ambulance to arrive.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    And the responses keep on coming.

:facepalm:

Well aren't you the cleverest little monkey in the zoo ...
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have really terrible balance - and even in the airport super slow movers, I feel off kilter. I wish the rails would extend further back for people like me.

When I walk outside on the sidewalk, I know that I don't walk super straight. I can feel me swerving from one side to the other, but thankfully I can do that on a sidewalk but not on a treadmill.
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP-Why do you care? What business is it of yours if someone holds onto the rails on the treadmill? :huh:
  • ilikebooksnotrunning
    ilikebooksnotrunning Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Because I can't walk in a straight line after I just ran.

My hips thank me for not bruising them since I started holding on the railings while walking.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh and let bashing the OP begin... I feel bad for these OPs that are sincerely asking a question and those commenting about the OP being "judemental" are just hyprocrites. Own it, you're judging just as much as the OP is. And I'll own it... I'm judging you too.

*stepping off soap box*

Now, to answer your question, OP.

I think it's a balance thing but also habit. I know that I use the hand railing on stairs when I know full well I can go up the stairs without it. But it's there and I just instictively use it. I also use it after a long run just to brace myself from wanting to collapse.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    And the responses keep on coming.

:facepalm:

Well aren't you the cleverest little monkey in the zoo ...

Not sure how clever one needs to be to spot a fishing thread by the title, but whatever.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer you lose 60% by holding on!

I did my run with no arm movement (hold rails during the walks, held stationary across my chest during runs).

I used, according to my HRM, 2 fewer calories today than I did on Monday over 30 minutes.

This does not seem to hold up to common sense, or at least in a sample size of one, to empirical evidence.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    And....they just keep coming.

Fishing-Supply.jpg
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    I am one who holds on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. WHY? Because I have 2 bad knees and holding on to the rails takes the pressure off my knees! It also helps with balance. Have you ever seen anyone using a walker in the "real world"? They use it to take pressure off and to help them with balance.

The point of walking on a treadmill is to get exercise. I don't believe you have to run or not hold on to get exercise.

Everyone is at a different place in their lives. You are lucky you have the ability you have right now. But be nice...someday YOU may be the one holding on!
  • Sadiyyah70
    Sadiyyah70 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    They're doing it to annoy you... and it seems to be working. Oh, congratulations on not having to hold on to anything. That's a total NSV.
    [/quote]

that's good!!!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Because. This:

funny-girl-treadmill-fail.gif

Can't. Stop. Watching.

OMG. Ouch. and :laugh: