Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hold on while I walk on the treadmill, but not while I run. No clue why--guess I started holding on when I first started using the treadmill and now it's a habit. I am trying to train myself not to, but once I get lost in my music I usually end up holding on again.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't hold on to them but I do reach out to them from time to time. It might be worse for others but the treadmill is horrible for me and my balance. I am pretty well coordinated but walking on the treadmill just throws me off balance. I only use it in the winter time when the weather is bad, I would much rather be out on a trail hiking. So they could be even less coordinated than I am and need the stability.

This! Only, I'm fairly UNco-ordinated. Heck, last year while walking the dog on LEVEL ground, I lost my footing, fell and sprained my ankle quite badly. Was on crutches and off work for a week! :noway: :embarassed: I'm normally okay on the treadmill but sometimes just reach for it to regain my balance if I feel a little "off"
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    when I do treadmill (hardly ever, its my lazy workout)

i hold on with one hand so i can text with the other
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Because. This:

funny-girl-treadmill-fail.gif

QFT, that would be me :laugh:
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

They're doing it to annoy you... and it seems to be working. Oh, congratulations on not having to hold on to anything. That's a total NSV.

LOL!!!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Heartrate.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do these topics keep popping up?! It's actually making me angry, because I AM one of those "normal, young" looking people who walk and hold onto the treadmill...what or why does it concern or bother you? I am on that treadmill, MOVING..but in case you would like to know, I have knee issues, and my cartilidge is pretty much gone, so I can't walk for long periods without wanting my knees feeling like they want to rip apart..BUT I still continue to challenge myself and will NOT succumb to saying, "oh well..I guess I'll never run"...so let me (and the others) do what we do..and worry about you and yourself only. PLEASE.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Why do people fall for these fishing threads, and get mad about it?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    perhaps because we are all individuals with our own thoughts and ideas.

Also the heart rate monitors or what ever there called.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Dear everyone that is posting heated/angry replies to the OP.

You're doing exactly what they wanted you to do.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Why do people fall for these fishing threads, and get mad about it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: TRUE
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I feel safer holding on. Stability or whatever - but it probably has a lot to do with the 4 surgeries my sister-in-law had on her hand & wrist after falling off of one.

I much prefer the elliptical or running outside, but that isn't always possible.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

:laugh: This ^^
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DUDE!!!:devil:

Please just get off the treadmill and let a hottie with awesome spandex or a running skirt get on!! :bigsmile:
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn being judgmental?:huh:
  • motherofthree1974
    Options
    I really don't care about what people think if i am holding on the treadmill cause as long as i know i am working out. I don't go to the gym to criticize others because i am there to work out. And yes i do hold on the rails when i work out.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I seriously cannot walk a straight line, lol! I have to hold on, otherwise I will fall off the side. Yes, I am just that coordinated.
  • RGv2
    Options
    And....they just keep coming.

Fishing-Supply.jpg