Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't "hold on to" the rails, but I a lot of times wil rest one of my hands on the rail in front, because it helps me with balance. Right now I am battling vertigo and I don't want to do nothing, so I hold on a bit more than normal. When I jog outside, I don't need anything to hold on to, (I don't do it with vertigo though); I'm not sure why, but balance doesn't seem to be as big of an issue outside.
  • skaimee
    skaimee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer you lose 60% by holding on!
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    They're training for the new season of Supermarket Sweep.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Because. This:

funny-girl-treadmill-fail.gif
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I was told by a trainer you lose 60% by holding on!
    60% of what? calorie burn? :)
  • Tamtamz76
    Tamtamz76 Posts: 23
    Options

This, mine does. Or they could have health issues that you can't see. I have inner ear/balance problems and sometimes I need to hold on even though I know I am not going to fall.

Exactly.

I also have inner ear problems, and it feels like the world is spinning when it's acting up; I get nauseous, fall down, the whole ball of wax. If I'm having a mild episode, I will walk on the treadmill, and if I feel my balance going off I have something to hold onto; at least I'm still doing what I have to. Now, when it's not acting up I'm all out running on that thing at around 7 to 8 mph, or I'm running outside if there isn't a sheet of ice or snow pack on the ground.

So the moral of the story is this: people may have health issues that require them to hold onto the rails, and just because you're on a treadmill doesn't mean you're somehow less than someone who runs and/or walks outside. Each have their own advantages and set backs. The important thing is that a person is doing something to help themselves, which is commendable in my book, holding onto the rails and all.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    posted twice :blushing:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You're right!! I never realized what a total loser I am!!!

Forget it! I quit. There's really no point in trying to exercise anymore, or lose weight, or live for that matter.

I seriously need to die. Thanks for letting me know...unless, you have further opinion of what I should do and how I should accomplish the rest of my life.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    nobody on a treadmill has any right to judge anyone for anything. You're walking and not going anywhere, ffs!

EXFREAKINGZACTLY!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

^5!!
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I used to use the treadmill I had to hold on because the motion made me feel dizzy because of an inner ear problem and for safety reasons I held on. Now, I walk outside and enjoy the world instead of being stuck in a room on a machine.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Because safety first. You can never be too careful!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're really good at walking! I bet you're the best walker in your whole gym!
  • Harlequin16
    Harlequin16 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hold on when i need to for my balance
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

Maybe they have poor balance, Maybe they have an injury, maybe they had a rough night, maybe they have different goals for themselves, maybe they just enjoy it. Everyone is different.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I trip over the painted stripes on the gym floor.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

thanks for making me feel like crap. i'm probably one of those "regular looking people" you refer to maybe you actually saw me? just FYI in my case I had a debilitating injury that lasted for years and meant I could not walk for two of those had to crawl to the bathroom. finally had surgery to cure it regained my mobility first confidence second, and so I fear losing balance/ getting too carried away with strides/injury. well i thought I regained my confidence until reading your post...thanks a lot Gym Judger. Hope you feel better venting!

p.s. I used to be a bad mama jamma too before and could do stuff like thisV

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhQfi6-kzB_PaPBuKoOUO70OORg_1kH3Qgt69EL44wgj9wV8L_

COULD YOU ever do stuff like that, cause if not then "what is the point?" see what I did there. Piece of twit.
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

^^^ What he said
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I tend to hold the handles its because I tend to briefly hold myself up to take some weight off my feet so i can catch a breather without totally stopping.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    cuz theyre retarded and they think they are burning more cals cuz the treadmil says so.. if u have to hold on all the time u should reduce the incline -.-. taking a rest to change a song on an ipod is dif.. but some ppl hang on for dear life on max incline it looks ridiculous