Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

may be one of the lamest posts ever.....stop watching other people and get your business done!
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    &&&& it's a**holes like you that make it so I can't STAND going to the gym! Stop judging and worry about yourself! :explode:

P.S. Sometimes I HOLD THE RAILS :huh:
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hold on because I have a fear of falling. I had a very traumatic injury from running in December of 2008...I had a grade 2 ATFL sprain (with surgery) and a dislocated shoulder, two tears in my labrum (shoulder) from it. My shoulder surgery took FOUR HOURS to fix. And...healing from shoulder surgery is not fun at all. My orthopedic said it is one of the worst surgeries there are and I have to agree. It was 3 months before I could lift my hand up higher than my shoulder.

Oh, and my ankles roll very easily. Even in stability or motion control shoes.

So...that is why I hold on. And I don't care what anyone thinks about it! They can kiss it!

I also had a grade 2 ATFL sprain in my left ankle. I had a surgical repair not too long ago- I hold onto the rails for support. The last thing I want to go flying and reinjure myself.

So I guess I should announce... Hi My name is Kaitlin.. And I am handlebar holder.

Edit: I can't spell to save my life.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    DUDE!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill and let a hottie with awesome spandex or a running skirt get on!! :bigsmile:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    And the responses keep on coming.

:facepalm:

Well aren't you the cleverest little monkey in the zoo ...

Not sure how clever one needs to be to spot a fishing thread by the title, but whatever.

Not clever at all. But you said it so many times I was thinking you were getting sad that nobody congratulated you on your astute observation regarding an obvious piece of troll-bait. I just wanted to be supportive. You're welcome, you clever little monkey.
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow...why do people find it necessary to judge someone else and what and how they are doing something??? At least they got up off the couch and are MOVING...holding on to something or not. May we all bow down to your greatness because you don't have to hold on to anythng...congrats. :drinker:
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So his humor is dry...I'm ok with that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Not sure how clever one needs to be to spot a fishing thread by the title, but whatever.

Not clever at all. But you said it so many times I was thinking you were getting sad that nobody congratulated you on your astute observation regarding an obvious piece of troll-bait. I just wanted to be supportive. You're welcome, you clever little monkey.

Of all the garbage in this thread, that's what got you to respond.

I feel honored by your reply, thank you.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

They're doing it to annoy you... and it seems to be working. Oh, congratulations on not having to hold on to anything. That's a total NSV.

LOL'd at work. Thanks for this.

I'd like to add that maybe they're doing it for the heart monitor on the handles.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Because real world doesnt move underneath your feet. You tube falling treadmill. Silly Billy!
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, it's at the faster speeds. Since I'm rehabbing a hip replacement I am still a little unstable at the higher speeds. Each day allows less and less 'hold' time. I can hardly wait for nice weather to get off the thing and hit the road on the bike instead.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Of all the garbage in this thread, that's what got you to respond.

I feel honored by your reply, thank you.

*shrug* ... it's easy pickins going after the easily outraged. you looked like you might be a challenge. and you are proving to be one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScLP0YEb4mABeqr4ja_FTCuLoYlL_te9gxtaMO84MjiACnCVlofw
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?
    EXACTLY!!!!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor. Duh.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    this is the type of question a child would ask smdh
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I HOLD ON TO THE RAILS! OMG!!!!! Ya know, when I first hopped on a treadmill years ago, I did 15 minutes at a 2.0 pace and it kicked my *kitten*. I was a big boy, and could feel the belt slip if I exerted too much force forward while the belt was trying to move in the opposite direction. I don't need to be blowing out my knee.

Today, I've lost two pounds (don't know where they went), and the other 134 of them are piled up on the floor behind the treadmill.

Ive been doing 5K events on the street. No rails, but little chance of the belt slipping either. My 5K on the pavement is about 4 minutes slower than one on the treadmill. Many times I am dead last in those events. But I'm still running circles around everyone sitting on the couch. And I keep looking at that big pile of pounds that are on the floor behind the treadmill.

Positive RESULTS!

BTW, why do you hate SUVs ?????

You're awesome. I'm a slow runner and am often at the back of the pack. Congrats on the loss :)
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    DANCE PUPPETS DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    DUDE!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill and let a hottie with awesome spandex or a running skirt get on!! :bigsmile:
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    DANCE PUPPETS DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

Ummm I love this... here's a drink for you. :drinker: