Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe their arms are tired.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had 3 herniated discs and held on to the rails for 2 years. I do not hold on now and I run as well, So what? Maybe watch your own workout, unless you are their trainer or an excercise physiologist hired by their Dr.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Nicely put.:drinker:
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

thanks for making me feel like crap. i'm probably one of those "regular looking people" you refer to maybe you actually saw me? just FYI in my case I had a debilitating injury that lasted for years and meant I could not walk for two of those had to crawl to the bathroom. finally had surgery to cure it regained my mobility first confidence second, and so I fear losing balance/ getting too carried away with strides/injury. well i thought I regained my confidence until reading your post...thanks a lot Gym Judger. Hope you feel better venting!

p.s. I used to be a bad mama jamma too before and could do stuff like thisV

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhQfi6-kzB_PaPBuKoOUO70OORg_1kH3Qgt69EL44wgj9wV8L_

COULD YOU ever do stuff like that, cause if not then "what is the point?" see what I did there. Piece of twit.

Totally unrelated, but I definitely recognize that picture and that location O.O
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hold the rails, because one time a person told me I run funny, and ever since then I've been extremely self conscious of my running, so in order for me to do something with my hands, and to try and run "correctly" I thought I'd use the rails for stability... but now, you've made me extremely self conscious about my walking and running on a treadmill in a gym... thanks so much, hope you're happy >_<

Oh and also, I use the HRM on the treadmill too, since I can't afford my own yet.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Best video!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    One school of thought? They haven't read the safety manual.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

This.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Obviously they go running outdoors with a walking frame.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I'm coming down from a sprint to a walk, I'll hold on for a little bit until I catch my breath. It's mostly for balance.

I really hate it when people "lift" themselves on the elliptical so they can more their legs back and forth faster. I've got the resistance cranked so high I need my body weight just to move those steps!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill.
    :huh: ? regular looking people? Older ppl & overweight ppl are not regular ppl?:noway: :laugh: So older ppl are anyone over 27? Noticed your age...
  • Pamella513
    Pamella513 Posts: 72
    Options
    because holding onto the rail stops my hands from being free to raise a middle finger at people like you who go to the gym to judge others and the way they choose to work out.

So you don't need to hold onto the rails. Do you want a balloon? A golf clap? Or someone to say big f**kin' deal? I'll do the latter because my hands are too busy typing to raise a middle finger at you right now.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    because holding onto the rail stops my hands from being free to raise a middle finger at people like you who go to the gym to judge others and the way they choose to work out.

So you don't need to hold onto the rails. Do you want a balloon? A golf clap? Or someone to say big f**kin' deal? I'll do the latter because my hands are too busy typing to raise a middle finger at you right now.

:laugh:

I hold on because I close my eyes and think I'm somewhere else and I will fall off if I don't and then you might laugh at me if I fall off, so I think it's better to hold on. :wink:
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    why do you care what other people are doing? seems to me it is a case of M.Y.O.B.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Treadmills make me awfully dizzy so it usually takes me a good few minutes of holding onto the rails before I feel confident to let go... you sound judgmental... who cares WHY they are holding on... they are there trying.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I hold on to the rail when I walk and let go when I run, because the front bar has the contacts for HRM. I want to know my HR right before and after a run.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    The problem with holding on to the treadmill is that you don't get as much of a workout as if you were not. I have an HRM and my HR goes down considerably when I hold on. Just like Jillian and Bob says, "Don't hang on to my treadmill!!!!"
    Its easier and people are fooling themselves into thinking they are working as hard as the next person next to them that's NOT holding on... If you are having an issue keeping up with the speed or incline, simply go slower or at a lower level. Its kind of a pet peeve on mine as you can tell...haha
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do it to tap along with the wicked beats playing on my ipod. ;)

(Hmmmm...I guess I'm not holding on to it, actually...just hitting it...I wonder what THAT is being interpreted as? LMAO)
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

Because..... nunya business.

Always be kind, everyone is fighting their own battles.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I hold on because I walk at an incline of 15 and go about 3.0-4.0 MPH! Why does it matter? People feel insecure enough going to a gym... why judge? To each their own :)