Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill that goes up to a 40% incline...I hold onto the rails all the time..Anything over 15% I pretty much hold on..One day last week my average heart rate was 141 in the last 20 minutes of an hour workout. That was walking at a 22-28% incline at 3.2 - 3.6 mph holding onto the rails..So you can get a great workout even when you hold onto the rails. I don't think I could jog 20 minutes at no incline and keep my heart rate at 141 for 20 minutes..So whether you hold onto the rails or not..If your heart rate is at a high level..Your getting a great workout..

^^^ This. My heart rate ranges from 140-170. I also have a mild heart murmur, asthma, knee problem, shoulder problems, so if I want to hold the rail at a 15 incline and walk 3.5-4 mph I will do so and do it for about 30 minutes and have my heart rate up the whole time!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. I can't believe how worked up and defensive people are getting.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. I can't believe how worked up and defensive people are getting.

Yup...agreed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I hold on because I walk at an incline of 15 and go about 3.0-4.0 MPH! Why does it matter? People feel insecure enough going to a gym... why judge? To each their own :)

if you can't walk on an incline with out holding on- you should drop the incline. You're doing yourself a disservice.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Because I am very uncoordinated and would probably fall off and crash into a wall.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Yeah seriously.

Focus on yourself and your own workout. Let everyone else do whatever they want.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Yup...agreed.

AND...it has been going on for a month! LOL
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Be nice, or I'll fall on you.

Then who will be sorry?
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're picturing themselves on a rollercoaster! weeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The rails on treadmills at my gym have a heart rate monitor/reader on them. Or if they're walking on an incline to help them keep up.

Yup, mine too! I keep my hands on -- not a deathgrip, though if someone needs to hold on for dear life, that's OK too :) -- to get the heart rate measure.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Why do people walk indoors?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Because. This:

funny-girl-treadmill-fail.gif

that happened to me in real life. twice. on the same day. i looked down to check my discman (just dated myself there). and splat.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Why are people so damn concerned about how I do my workout?
    I hold the rails on the elliptical.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'm less stable on a treadmill than I am on the ground. I put my hands on the rails because it stops me from feeling like I'm about to fall.

Of course, now I also do it because it bugs the OP (and others) and that's always justification enough for me.
  • KPMP1992
    KPMP1992 Posts: 66
    Options
    I use the rails if I am walking faster than 3.5 mph, but rest my hands on them lightly, as I know you burn less calories if you hold on to them with a normal grip.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My aunt just fell off a treadmill and broke her hip. Maybe that's why. Derp. Derp.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Why do people walk indoors?
    Good question!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill!

:laugh: :laugh:

And what business is this of yours??

And what business is it of yours to inquire about my business of laughing? Get a life :laugh: so many uptight folks in this thread, soon I'll lose my right to my thoughts too! :huh:
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You go to the gym to work out. And not focus on what other people doing. Focus on your own damn workout.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    if you re targeting the 110/120 heartbeats a minute its easier to do while holding on and not increasing heart rate with arm movement.- if you ve trained hard to increase muscle size it would be pointless to wipe out gains and use the treadmill as the rest do ...