Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    'Cause when I'm on the 'mill my glasses are off due to fogging. Combine naturally crap balance with being unable to see very well and those rails become a necessity.

Unless I'm within the field of view of the OP. Then it's because I'm trying to piss them off. :laugh:
  • cynthiarochellebrown
    Options
    I am recovering from knee surgery and have restrictions. I could blow out my grafts with a mis-step. Saving the natural trails for my doctor's okay.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious.

:drinker:
  • cynthiarochellebrown
    Options
    Laughing at myself - because I'm thinking, "Where is the LIKE button!?"
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i am that person that holds on to the rails. i even hold them when i run.. very awkward but i can't bring myself to let go. i had a bad experience years ago.. i wasn't holding onto the rails, i was running pretty fast.. and then i tripped or something. fell off the treadmill and got pretty hurt.

now i ALWAYS hold those damn rails.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I get confused at this same thing.
    I can understand on the stair master, or the older/disabled crowd.

But a healthy looking man, running at a 0 incline at 6mph, holding on to the sides and/or top to keep up with the belt?
    Or the fitness-competitor type holding on at a 3.5 incline, at a 3.5 pace?

:noway:

Even as a size 22 newbie who was "allergic" to exercise, I didn't do any of those things.

ETA: the man running at 6mph holding on really was holding on only for the purpose of keeping up. I am still completely baffled, and I'm not the staring type.

Disabled doesn't always mean old.

I'll hold on at 3.5 mph and a 1% incline. Why? Because I have a neuromuscular disease and it helps me steady myself. You'd never know it, looking at me. So Brava to you, you insensitive dolt. You started somewhere different from me and a host of other people. It doesn't actually make you better than anyone. Stare away, as you were apparently taught no better.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Also, as has been mentioned a dozen times if it's been mentioned once, a ton of treadmills have a heart rate monitor on them. To get a reading, you have to ... yes, that's correct ... you have to hold on.
  • MOJOtheDUCK
    Options
    Who the F cares what "other people" are doing at the gym?! Here's a thought, focus on you're f'ing self! And that's the reason that overweight people are afraid to go to the gym!

*gets off her soapbox*

Thank Dog for my gym! It is full of intense, hairy, powerlifting/strongman meatheads...and they are the nicest, most encouraging people I've ever met. Plus the treadmill is always free. They have never said a word about me being on the treadmill at all or how fast I'm going or the fact that I hold onto the rails b/c I freakin' feel like it!
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I had to hold onto them because my body (core) wasn't strong enough to keep me walking straight! lol I've lost just shy of 17 lbs now and I'm not holding on at all anymore. I think it's just a matter of strength and coordination. :) Plus I've found the faster I walk, the easier it is to NOT hold on!
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I hold the front rails...the HRM is there.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Can you please tell us what to wear,how to walk,how to eat and where to live also?
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    I don't understand why people at the gym judge anyone who uses a treadmil!? who cares if you are walking, jogging or running atleast you made the time to go there and try!

Yeah you can do all this outside but some people may have anxiety walking outside or they are scared of walking the streets and may feel more comfortable indoors...

Don't be so quick to judge.

This is why I never see anyone as big as I am at the gym...ever.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Love this! :drinker:
  • mnfrank11
    mnfrank11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people at the gym judge anyone who uses a treadmil!? who cares if you are walking, jogging or running atleast you made the time to go there and try!

Yeah you can do all this outside but some people may have anxiety walking outside or they are scared of walking the streets and may feel more comfortable indoors...

Agreed completely! I would prefer to be outside, however if it is late in the evening (dark) or early in the morning and no one is out, the area I have to go run is a little sketchy, so in those times I use the "dreadmill" Any effort is better than no effort, even if they are holding on, at least they are off the couch.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We get it u do it better!

Jeez some posts r simply put up due to pure vanity.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    So I was working up my nerve to go to the college gym and try some machines out. Thanks, OP, for reinforcing my gym phobia.
  • naturesgate
    naturesgate Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't concern yourself with what anyone thinks. We all have to start somewhere. If you want to walk at 2.5 mph while holding onto the rails that's your prerogative. People really need to stop being so damn judgmental.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

People are so quick to judge. So sad.
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The treadmill has sensors to take your heart rate, I hold onto it to cool down and track my h/r. Not all the time, just periodically since it's not very safe to do that.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't concern yourself with what anyone thinks. We all have to start somewhere. If you want to walk at 2.5 mph while holding onto the rails that's your prerogative. People really need to stop being so damn judgmental.

I agree. For some odd reason I tend to 'drift' from side to side on a treadmill. No idea why. So I hold onto the sides so I don't step on the sides of the treadmill and don't slip off.