How to target back fat?

Options
I have been exercising for a year now and barely lost any weight (although my clothes fit differently and down 3 pant sizes).

I do about an hour of cardio 4 or 5 days a week including running and the arc trainer burning 600-800 calories everytime.

My legs and butt look fantastic, but I cannot get rid of the nasty fold of fat on my back. Not above my bra, not love handes (at least I dont think)...but under my bra where my waist goes in. Just fat...sitting there. It annoys me to the point where I don't want to wear a bathing suit this summer.

I do not do any strength training except for my legs and butt, but after tons of research, everything says to do cardio to "melt" the fat back there.

I don't think I could do anymore cardio folks.

So...I need tips on how to target this. If I tone my back and oblique areas, I'll be so much happier.

What tips do you have? I am willing to do some strength training for this if it will get rid of excess fat. I am eating my calories and trying to eat "cleaner".

No to mention I have been on my plateau for 4 months, I recently started taking CLA supplements suggested by my friend to help.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.
    2. Start strength training
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

^This.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    strength training

strength training

strength training

trust me, you'll love it. give up all that cardio. you don't need it. 2-3 days a week tops. the rest of the time, you should be doing dead lisfts, squats, chest press, and over head press.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Get a tattoo of a bullseye on your back?
  • tehsui
    tehsui Posts: 1
    Options
    You can not "target" specific areas on your body, this is a complete myth.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220
    Options
    Women seem to carry back fat, especially around their bras. I HATE THAT. Nothing works on it. It just grows there one day and it stays. I honestly think it is an, "age thing" . Or it is hereditary in some women. It's where i carry fat. If all else fails I am going to get laser on it. I like Elxis, it shrinks the fat and helps you grow collagen. It tightens the skin during treatments and continues to tighten after treatments are done. IT's $400 a treatment and usually three are needed. This may not be the answer you were looking for, but i have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and it won't budge. I really don't want to be self conscious of it so that is what I am doing. They won't do it at my spa unless a person is of healthy/normal BMI height and weight. I am glad for that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Nothing works on it. It just grows there one day and it stays.

completely untrue. a calorie deficit and strength training works. patience works too.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    Women seem to carry back fat, especially around their bras. I HATE THAT. Nothing works on it. It just grows there one day and it stays. I honestly think it is an, "age thing" . Or it is hereditary in some women. It's where i carry fat. If all else fails I am going to get laser on it. I like Elxis, it shrinks the fat and helps you grow collagen. It tightens the skin during treatments and continues to tighten after treatments are done. IT's $400 a treatment and usually three are needed. This may not be the answer you were looking for, but i have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and it won't budge. I really don't want to be self conscious of it so that is what I am doing. They won't do it at my spa unless a person is of healthy/normal BMI height and weight. I am glad for that.
    I am quoting my own post, bc I didn't fully read your posting before I commented. Girl, you really should try lifting for your upper body. I get such skinny arms and my boobs lift up and perk when I lift weights. When I stop lifting, I revert back to being sort of out of shape in the arms and my boobage lowers. It has helped my back fat (just barely). But a little. You should try it and see if it helps you. It may. Who knows until you try it, but it makes sense.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    Nothing works on it. It just grows there one day and it stays.

completely untrue. a calorie deficit and strength training works. patience works too.
    It is true. Unless you are a female, you can't say for sure. Women are NOT men. Women's bodies are not the same as men's bodies. I am so tired of men who do not understand a woman's body is different who gives advice.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Strrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnggggthhhhh traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinnnnnninnnnnnnngggggggg
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    Don't listen to these men. Hire a FEMALE personal trainer and talk to her. Men don't understand a woman's body. It's not the same. Women's bodies are even designed to hold on to fat in preparation for childbirth. It doesn't know there isn't a famine around the corner. Women even have certain days of the month they should be buffing and certain days of the month they should be boosting. It's based on hormones. Your diet and your workouts should be based on that. How many men can explain that one?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you are wearing a well fit bra, which means going to a store with real trained fitters. I like Intimacy in houston. They go in with you and assess how the bras fit.

And weights, weights weights. Though it might be good to add in some deadlifts and weighted glute ham raises and bent over rows, for the posterior chain.

As for targeting it, not gonna happen, but improving that area in other ways is just as good.
  • Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lol! I love how the first guy told me to lose more weight...

OH IS THAT WHAT I DO?! LOSE MORE WEIGHT TO GET RID OF THE FAT I DONT WANT?!

Even after in my post, I said I have been exercising for a year and BARELY lost weight. Men lift a finger and drop 5 pounds I swear.

Ugh, I hope it isn't an age thing. I am only 25...am I already going downhill?

And I actually was looking at personal female trainers online for the past 30 minutes.

And yes, my bras do fit well. The fat is still there even bra-less.
  • Amoravy
    Options
    strength training

strength training

strength training

trust me, you'll love it. give up all that cardio. you don't need it. 2-3 days a week tops. the rest of the time, you should be doing dead lisfts, squats, chest press, and over head press.

There is no way I am giving up half the cardio I am doing. I absolutely love it. I love running for miles with my thoughts and music blaring in my ears. I will try adding 2 days a week of strength training, because honestly...I think any muscle definition in women whether it is arms or stomach is too masculine for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, I want to tighten up...but I don't want biceps or a six pack. I like looking feminine, I just want to be healthier.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to these men. Hire a FEMALE personal trainer and talk to her. Men don't understand a woman's body. It's not the same. Women's bodies are even designed to hold on to fat in preparation for childbirth. It doesn't know there isn't a famine around the corner. Women even have certain days of the month they should be buffing and certain days of the month they should be boosting. It's based on hormones. Your diet and your workouts should be based on that. How many men can explain that one?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Smh
  • Amoravy
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.

Yeah, if losing weight was that simple maybe I wouldn't be posting my question in the first place? I eat right, exercise, and havent lost anything in months. I have been doing this for a year and am down only 15 pounds. The scale wont budge.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

1. Lose more weight.

- FROM A WOMAN.

ETA:

1. What in the HALE is buffing and boosting??
    2. OP if you want guidance as to why you haven't lost weight during a year of exercising, you should open your diary, providing that it is accurate.
  • Amoravy
    Options

1. Lose more weight.

- FROM A WOMAN.

So, what is the miracle it takes to make me lose weight since old-fashioned diet and exercise won't work? And don't tell me patience and dedication....I am about fed up after 13 months.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Men and women are different, yes, but the same laws of thermodynamics apply. I don't doubt that you have been exercising for a year, but without the proper caloric deficit, it doesn't matter. Caloric deficit will get rid of fat eventually. Strength training will help ensure that it is mostly fat and not muscle. Get your numbers straight (TDEE, BMR, etc.), lift heavy, and wait.

I am a woman, so I am automatically qualified to give this advice.