Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Instead of eating a Morning Star food item, eat a piece of chicken or pork?

Why not? I mean you expect me too, why can't I expect you to do the same?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking to substitute my juicy burger, I'd rather make a veggie burger from scratch than buy Morning Star. With that said - I love hamburgers so much. I had one for dinner last night. It was meaty and delicious.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Garden Veggie Patty
    Calories 110
    Total Fat 3.5g
    Sodium 350mg
    Carbs 9g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 10g

Lean Ground Beef same size
    Calories 116
    Total Fat 4.5g
    Sodium 44mg
    Carbs 0
    Protein 17.8g

I would say when you are thinking about having a morningstar burger why not switch it to lean ground beef, it is healthier.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I want a burger, I get a burger, I just get it bunless. Being a low carber, there's no way I could give up meat. I love it too much.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    Interesting you say this but in your diary I see Jimmy Deans sausage. :sick:

I don't write down everything I eat.. but I've been eating Morning Star products every other day.. nobody said I don't eat meat. Lol some of you on here always got something to sayyy.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    Yikes - I am with the person who listed the "ingredients" YUK! I would rather eat meat!
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    Boca vegetarian burgers are also very delicious, and cheap.

True, those are yummy too.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

Which ingredients are the questionable ones? I would have expected you to list the questionable ones, not all of them. Or are all of them questionable?

I see the colouring, corn oil, range of acids and jump. No thanks! Corn oil is near top of the list too :/
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Now I want a steak......
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing against having vegetarian or vegan meals, but I don't really want a meat substitute. There are so many other, I think better choices.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the processed fake meat alternatives are just fast food for the righteous. There are a lot of 'extras' in that 'healthy vegan / vegetarian alternative. If you are vegetarian or vegan you've probably already committed to taking more time and planning meals anyhow. Why not make a veggie burger from fresh wholesome ingredients in your kitchen? I don't understand why someone who doesn't eat meat wants to sub with something that is supposed to taste like meat anyhow...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Big burger eater here. I alternate between 85/15 sirloin and 95/5 TKY. I agree, morning star is GOOD. I tricked my 10yr old with the sausage links. Lol. Eating vegetarian once a week is not a bad idea. :happy:

ETA: I eat everything. I'm with the general consensus; I will always choose meat. But I've tried both Morning Star & Boca burgers and enjoyed them. More out of curiosity.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's seems weird to me to eat something that resembles the food I chose to give up. I'll stick with whole foods instead of super processed foods.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    Morningstar Garden Veggie Patty
    Calories 110
    Total Fat 3.5g
    Sodium 350mg
    Carbs 9g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 10g

Lean Ground Beef same size
    Calories 116
    Total Fat 4.5g
    Sodium 44mg
    Carbs 0
    Protein 17.8g

I would say when you are thinking about having a morningstar burger why not switch it to lean ground beef, it is healthier.

Love this, thanks :)
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

I have actually never heard of Morning Star foods. I would choose a portabello mushroom instead. Brush it with balsamic vinegar, and grill it. Goes great with homemade pesto and roasted red pepper as toppings.

Fresh, cheaper than a box of burgers (veggie or not), I can pronounce all the ingredients, and it's tasty.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm aware of Morning Star and other veggie foods, as two of my family are vegetarian. ( Mikal makes the most amazing vegetarian chilli with crumbles..). as for me, I'm a carnivore. Rare steak, medium rare lamb, pork chops ....I see no reason to give up meat, why should I? NOTHING else tastes as good. I don't eat bugers often ( I much prefer Arby's roast beef the few times I eat fast food) and as for fried chicken nuggets, yuck! I try not to eat deep-fried anything except for a treat at KFC (best fried chicken ever) every two months or so. So put me on the meat-eater side, absolutely.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Burgers and chicken nuggets are not the only meat there is
    any idea for steak replacement that taste like steak?
    how about chicken breast? chicken wings? pork loin?

I like meat
    YUM
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Just because something is packaged as "health" food, doesn't make it healthy or healthier than the alternative it is supposed to replace.

I have no objection to veggie burgers. I have no objection to someone eating Morningstar products. But, it would not fit my macro goals, so I will not substitute them for actual meat.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

Because I want protein in my diet to grow muscles and fat to absorb the nutrients from the fresh raw vegetables I'm eating. If I want something that taste like meat, I eat meat. I also don't need all the extra preservatives when I'm fine with eating fresh food. If I want something processed, it's definitely going to be a chicken nugget.

With that being said, what's a morning star? Sounds interesting and you mention delicious, I might need to try one :)
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    In my opinion, the processed fake meat alternatives are just fast food for the righteous. There are a lot of 'extras' in that 'healthy vegan / vegetarian alternative. If you are vegetarian or vegan you've probably already committed to taking more time and planning meals anyhow. Why not make a veggie burger from fresh wholesome ingredients in your kitchen? I don't understand why someone who doesn't eat meat wants to sub with something that is supposed to taste like meat anyhow...

They like the taste but don't want to eat animals.

I thought about making them homemade.

I am NOT vegetarian.

I saw it as less calories until someone mentioned the calories in lean ground beef.

I'd never choose it over chicken but over chicken nuggets that have been fried, yes.

Or I would have before everyone told me things...