Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Burgers and chicken nuggets are not the only meat there is
    any idea for steak replacement that taste like steak?
    how about chicken breast? chicken wings? pork loin?

I like meat
    YUM

Steak: Marinate Tempeh and cook like a (thin) steak, then Smother with sauteed onions & mushrooms... if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options

So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Not really, not to me. Still very processed, lots of soy which if you read up on, not so very healthy. Taste is very subjective and personal. These might be good in a rush, but not regularly.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

^^I agree with this. I eat only real foods for the most part not chemicals. In my opinion meat > chemicals.

Meat is treated with chemicals, not to mention the animals are chalk full of them in most cases.

Not the deer steaks I have thawed in my fridge that are going on the grill tonight!
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    You should check out sweet potato burgers. They obviously are different than a hamburger as they don't taste like meat at all, but they are delicious in their own right. I also have made black bean burgers before with the right kind of seasonings to the point my boyfriend was convinced he was eating a hamburger despite me telling him otherwise.

Thankyou for this. I wish you typed "Potato burger" I wonder if they have that.... probably.. Lol. I love potatoes.

& Someone just sent me a black bean burger recipe. Yum :)
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    They are made with soy...I won't eat soy anymore because of the GMO's
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I do NOT believe meat substitutes are healthier than real meat, and there ARE no substitutes that taste anywhere nearly as good as the real thing. I've had Morning Star, Bocca, and several other brands just to see what it was like, and some of it was good, but I wouldn't use the term delicious. The more natural, the less processed, the better. I grew up with raising, butchering and dressing out home-raised pigeons, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits,and also game-- squirrels and deer. I helped with all of that since age 5.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest making your own veggie burger. There are tons of recipes. Morning star's products are extremely processed.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    fat makes it taste good! and the ingredients for a morning star veggie burger?

WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

Uhh....no thanks!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I make my own burgers and chicken nuggets. Chicken nuggets, for example, are the easiest thing in the world to make, consist of 3 ingredients, and are 10x more nutritious that whatever rubbish they've put in those fake ones.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

Read my mind!!

While I do agree with some of the points made above I do not agree with #4. There are downsides to eating meat. Not everyone agrees with that and that is ok... everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Personally, the downside to meat is the fact that animals are killed for it and not always in the best ways possible. Cheap meat also tends to come from farms where the animals are not treated the right way. While I think meat is ok to eat considering where it comes from but only if the animals are treated properly. How is there no downside to meat when chickens are packed in tiny boxes on the back of a truck on their way to the slaughter house? How is there no downside to meat when animals are pumped full of hormones to make them grow faster and large? Again, my opinion. I do not eat meat anymore due to my personal reasons however my husband still eats meat so I do still cook it for him. Do I agree with it... no but it's not my place to tell my husband not to eat meat nor is it my place to tell him he is wrong by what he chooses to do in regards to diet.

I do not consume the meat replacement products like Morningstar, Quorn, Veggie Patch, etc. I choose normal food options for things. I make black bean burgers if I want a burger. I use other ways to get my protein in besides those meat replacement products. The most processed thing I get protien from is my protein powder/bars that I consume a few times a week to meet protein goals.
  • Boringdoug
    Boringdoug Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of GMO bashing in this thread. GMOs are good for you, the environment, and they help feed starving children in third world countries. I prefer genetically altered food to the normal, boring, blah kind. Yay science!
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:

^^I agree with this. I eat only real foods for the most part not chemicals. In my opinion meat > chemicals.

Meat is treated with chemicals, not to mention the animals are chalk full of them in most cases.

Not the deer steaks I have thawed in my fridge that are going on the grill tonight!

Lol bc you went hunting instead of injecting them with chemicals.. But I've never ate deer.. I'm a meat eater but it's out of my box of meats. Feel like I'm eating Bambi. lol then again... when you eat a pig you feel like your eating the pig off Charlottes web.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but I don't eat substitutes either...because they are gross. It might have something to do with the fact that I've been vegetarian since birth and I don't crave the taste or texture of meat. You really should try cooking with some fresh ingredients and you'll never go back to the pre-packaged stuff. Making a veggie burger is as simple of pulsing some chickpeas, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, bread crumbs and salt and cooking them in the form of a burger - delicious! And it freezes well, what's not to love?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Because when I want a burger I want a meat burger. Not a veggie burger. Not a tofu burger. Not some weird thing that someone calls a burger. I want 1/4 lb of meat with all the fixin's.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    1. Cause some people can't have so much SOY. Soy isn't good in large quantities or eaten all the time. Xenoestrogens can mess up our bodies. I have to limit my soy.

2. Cause some people LIKE MEAT.

3. That shet be expensive for not much.

4. It has a lot of ingredients I can't say.

BUT--- I am a pescatarian and so are my kids. Well, my older daughter has been a vegetarian (no meat or fish or anything) since birth. ha.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    You should check out sweet potato burgers. They obviously are different than a hamburger as they don't taste like meat at all, but they are delicious in their own right. I also have made black bean burgers before with the right kind of seasonings to the point my boyfriend was convinced he was eating a hamburger despite me telling him otherwise.

Thankyou for this. I wish you typed "Potato burger" I wonder if they have that.... probably.. Lol. I love potatoes.

& Someone just sent me a black bean burger recipe. Yum :)

You could probably take any sweet potato burger recipe and use a potato instead. The two are pretty similar in texture, I think you could get a similar result.

Also, chickpea burgers are great substitutes: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/03/spicy-bbq-chickpea-burgers-lightened-up-crispy-baked-fries/

And really, even a turkey burger.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Because heating a burger in a microwave to me would be considered a left over.
    And it really ain't a burger to me if it ain't got meat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • paledi
    paledi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Too processed. Better to make your own.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat morning star sometimes.. It's my lazy "go to food" for lunch.

I totally prefer REAL meat though! Have you seen the sodium in those fake meats?! Enough to make me swell up like a water balloon!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    GMO and chemicals and addiditives.. oh yum!!!

Bacon anyone?? mmmmmm bacon...

Also.. soy is not really good for you..