Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I like my cows, chickens, pigs, lambs, and such, thank you.
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

exactly this just sounds gross:sick:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have found morningstar products to be cheaper than meat personally. People don't care if it's healthier, old habits die hard.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They do have fewer calories than meat, but they include eggs so for non-meat-eaters who also don't eat eggs they're a no-go. Also, they're still processed food and from taking a look at them i don't think very good for you.
    They're also expensive when you can make your own veggie burgers for super cheap (if you have time).
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

blood, feces, hormones, injected hormones, antibiotics, ect....in meat.....tell me again how morningstar sounds gross?
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

I have actually never heard of Morning Star foods. I would choose a portabello mushroom instead. Brush it with balsamic vinegar, and grill it. Goes great with pesto and roasted red pepper as toppings.

Fresh, cheaper, I can pronounce all the ingredients, and it's tasty.

That sounds good...
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lol damn you guys are serious
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather have real meat. Plus, I believe this thread is going to get very ugly very soon.

Thanks though. :D
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    They do have fewer calories than meat, but they include eggs so for non-meat-eaters who also don't eat eggs they're a no-go. Also, they're still processed food and from taking a look at them i don't think very good for you.
    They're also expensive when you can make your own veggie burgers for super cheap (if you have time).

Maybe I'm just thinking outside the box...but isn't meat processed before people eat it?
  • beautifulregardless
    Options

Ingredients:

blood, feces, hormones, injected hormones, antibiotics, ect....in meat.....tell me again how morningstar sounds gross?

This ^ :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Which ingredients are the questionable ones? I would have expected you to list the questionable ones, not all of them. Or are all of them questionable?

I see the colouring, corn oil, range of acids and jump. No thanks! Corn oil is near top of the list too :/

What's wrong with corn oil?

And if you think acids are bad, I have some pretty bad news for you about protein. Protein is literally long strings of amino acids. There's nothing wrong with "acid."
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

^^I agree with this. I eat only real foods for the most part not chemicals. In my opinion meat > chemicals.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    I think I'd rather have real meat. Plus, I believe this thread is going to get very ugly very soon.

Thanks though. :D

Lol, I think it's already developed an ugly side. xD
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    Lol damn you guys are serious

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!!!
    High five to that.. lol
    Every time I post something people get all serious and rude. (Not all of you.)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm just thinking outside the box...but isn't meat processed before people eat it?

1) Processing isn't a dirty word. Grinding wheat, adding yeast, and baking it into bread is "processing."

2) No. A steak is unprocessed. A chicken breast is unprocessed.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Ingredients:

^^I agree with this. I eat only real foods for the most part not chemicals. In my opinion meat > chemicals.

Meat is treated with chemicals, not to mention the animals are chalk full of them in most cases.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Man what kind of meat are you eating...
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    You should check out sweet potato burgers. They obviously are different than a hamburger as they don't taste like meat at all, but they are delicious in their own right. I also have made black bean burgers before with the right kind of seasonings to the point my boyfriend was convinced he was eating a hamburger despite me telling him otherwise.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Garden Veggie Patty
    Calories 110
    Total Fat 3.5g
    Sodium 350mg
    Carbs 9g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 10g

Lean Ground Beef same size
    Calories 116
    Total Fat 4.5g
    Sodium 44mg
    Carbs 0
    Protein 17.8g

I would say when you are thinking about having a morningstar burger why not switch it to lean ground beef, it is healthier.

Love this, thanks :)

Ditto. Love this too.