how do people feel about aspartame?

Options
it's in so many gums and packaged products people swear by (Extras Dessert gums, puddings andjello packages)
I AM aspartame-free and it SUCKS lol aspartame-free gum tastes like cardboard and the flavour is gone in less than a second.

I don't eat pudding or jello but sometimes recipes call for it and that damn aspartame

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have no concerns over aspartame for myself.

I have no concerns over other people using aspartame provided that they don't have any personal aversion to it and they don't have PKU (inability to metabolize phenylalanine).

Aspartame immediately breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine and neither of these are harmful, and both of these items are found in regular food sources.

Now if I happened to get my information from documentaries instead of actual research, I would probably fear aspartame. That comment is not directed at you.
  • sb277
    sb277 Posts: 6
    Options
    My Weight Loss Doctor only wants us to use agrave. He says the others are bad for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Read enough stuff about aspartame poisoning to never have it again.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I have no concerns over other people using aspartame provided that they don't have any personal aversion to it and they don't have PKU (inability to metabolize phenylalanine).

Aspartame immediately breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine and neither of these are harmful, and both of these items are found in regular food sources.

Now if I happened to get my information from documentaries instead of actual research, I would probably fear aspartame. That comment is not directed at you.

what he said.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options

This
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it as I do not ingest copious amounts of it or have a sensitivity to it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This x 1000
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yep This!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Aspartame immediately breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine and neither of these are harmful , and both of these items are found in regular food sources.

Just emphasizing the bold.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options

This x 1000

Same here
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^ This. I don't go in for scaremongering by quacks with an agenda.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Aspartame immediately breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine and neither of these are harmful , and both of these items are found in regular food sources.

Just emphasizing the bold.

Ditto.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat it minimally just in my coffee or tea sometimes no fear consuming it whatsoever.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Dr Mercola is a quack.
    www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html
    http://www.skepdic.com/mercola.html

If you are using Mercola as a source of information I would suggest you stop that silliness, regardless of your position on aspartame.

Keep in mind, Mercola also believes microwaves are dangerous.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options

Don't think anyone could have said this any better.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like it but I don't avoid it. If I want a pop (which is very rare) then having a diet is better than calories and sugar. Plus, I chew gum almost daily but it's a small amount and I'm not going to stress over that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Dr Mercola is a quack.
    www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html
    http://www.skepdic.com/mercola.html

If you are using Mercola as a source of information I would suggest you stop that silliness, regardless of your position on aspartame.

Keep in mind, Mercola also believes microwaves are dangerous.
    MercoLOLa. Right up there with Dr. Oz as far as credibility goes.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Dr. Mercola is Dr. Oz's brother LOL both of which I do not follow or trust.

Its very hard to avoid the stuff as its in a lot of things we eat... Even healthy organic items can have it.