how do people feel about aspartame?

Options

Replies

• SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    For myself it causes headaches and a nauseated feeling the more I have the worse I feel,it tastes horrible I can detect it in anything its in for the most part.I dont do well with artificial sweetners.If Im going to have sugar it might as well be real.I stopped chewing gum because it seems to be in all of them these days.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    No more aspartame = no more headaches. Reason enough for me to never touch the stuff again.
  • debkc76
    debkc76 Posts: 7
    Options
    I avoid it based on my past experiences and research.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    It caused my daughter and I massive headaches. My husband nearly died from aspartame toxicity. So no it is not safe.

Splenda is not better either.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    water retention
  • missymere
    missymere Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I avoid it like the plague. It gives me a migraine, which means one of my eyes generally swells up from the pain and I'm bedridden for 24-36 hours. The last time this happened, about two weeks ago, I had switched from Citrucel to the "sugar-free" version. The same also happened a few months prior, after eating a few sugar-free breath mints. That stuff must be toxic, because nothing else on the planet makes me feel like I want to die right then and there quite like this fake sugar does. I say, may as well find a way to fit a tiny amount of sugar into your diet. It would be far less painful for me! At least we know all of the health concerns surrounding sugar. Who knows what else they will find out about aspartame in the future (think lab rats, the poor things).
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes gross. I rarely ever drink soda and never chew gum. If I do I rather have a regular soda. Diet sodas make me feel sick when I drink them anyway.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I prefer saccharin, but have no aversions to aspartame.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I hate aspartame & wish it didn't exist.

And I've gotten my information from "actual research" and education & not "documentaries" over the past 6&1/2 years.

I am a fan of honey & stevia for sweeteners - usually in my tea. I don't really eat sweets (never had a sweet tooth.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Dr Mercola is a quack.
    www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html
    http://www.skepdic.com/mercola.html

If you are using Mercola as a source of information I would suggest you stop that silliness, regardless of your position on aspartame.

Keep in mind, Mercola also believes microwaves are dangerous.

And sun tan lotion causes cancer...
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    I still use it occasionally, although I've read that it's terrible for your brain, bones, and other organs. A better sugar substitute to look for is stevia, which is plant-based.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,632 Member
    Options
    I have no concerns over aspartame for myself.

I have no concerns over other people using aspartame provided that they don't have any personal aversion to it and they don't have PKU (inability to metabolize phenylalanine).

Aspartame immediately breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine and neither of these are harmful, and both of these items are found in regular food sources.

Now if I happened to get my information from documentaries instead of actual research, I would probably fear aspartame. That comment is not directed at you.
    100% this.

Misinformation and Pavlov's Dog have many not reading actual peer reviewed research.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,632 Member
    Options
    Seen it and actual peer reviewed clinical studies have refuted it. Correlation isn't causation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste so avoid it for that reason.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I still use it occasionally, although I've read that it's terrible for your brain, bones, and other organs. A better sugar substitute to look for is stevia, which is plant-based.

you do realize that the scaremongers could point out that stevia has been linked to fertility problems and liver mutations. a study five or so years ago also screwed up the thyroid function in chickens.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Within a few minutes of eating or drinking anything with artificial sweeteners, I will get horrible stomach cramps and vomit. I had a birthday cake made with sugar free jello when I was a teacher and I didn't taste the difference at first, but before I could finish it I was sick. I've never had a headache from it, but I imagine that is because my body rejects it so quickly. The only sugar free gum I can chew is Eclipse...I have no idea why it doesn't cause a reaction.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Triggers migraines and other pain for me, so I avoid it.
    (By the way, a couple of times I've gotten sick because I ate something that I didn't know had aspartame. For instance, once I ate a different variety of bread from a brand that I'd been eating. Sadly, I liked the bread, so I had a few pieces in one day... I didn't read the label carefully enough because I made the bad assumption that as their raisin bread was fine, the cherry bread would be too. Oops, the next day I had one of the worst migraines I've had for years! Anyway, there have been about 3 times over the years when something like that has happened, so I'm pretty sure the effect is not psychologically triggered.)
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No more aspartame = no more headaches. Reason enough for me to never touch the stuff again.

^^ Agreed!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Funny I was just reading an article.......

"It would be also be wise to avoid all aspartame, as well as bottled or canned fruit juices as they have methanol which your body converts to formaldehyde. This is even more dangerous than the formaldehyde in products, as your body carries the methanol like a Trojan horse to sensitive tissues like your brain where an enzyme converts it to formaldehyde."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/03/09/household-chemical-exposure.aspx
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Aspartame has been studied extensively, since 1965, with approximately 200 studies conducted in humans and animals. The safety of aspartame has been well established. The results of these scientific studies have shown that eating products sweetened with aspartame is no different from eating other foods and is not associated with adverse health effects.