how do people feel about aspartame?

Options

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I love it! Especially in diet coke. I wish I'd drank diet coke last night, actually, instead of the beer and wine.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it bother anyone that almost every manufacturer study says aspartame is completely safe, while almost every independent study say it is not?

It's clear American health is going down hill. Is it aspartame? MSG? Propylene glycol?

No one knows for sure, but it's obviously something in our diets now.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to get my sugar macro under control and the lure of artificial sweeteners is a siren call but I avoid aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet) and other artificial sweeteners whenever possible as it triggers nasty headaches and leaves a weird taste in my mouth. Even something as small as a tiny mint will do it to me. I don't think I suffer from PKU or that aspartame will kill me, but as I've been progressing towards eating cleaner, I seem to have developed some sort of sensitivity to it amongst other things.

So what are my alternatives? In general, I eat fruit when I crave something sweet or very small bits of dark chocolate.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes absolutely scrumptious.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes absolutely scrumptious.
    I'm having a cup of coffee with Splenda right now - right after I took my multi-vitamin tablet. :bigsmile:
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it bother anyone that almost every manufacturer study says aspartame is completely safe, while almost every independent study say it is not?

It's clear American health is going down hill. Is it aspartame? MSG? Propylene glycol?

No one knows for sure, but it's obviously something in our diets now.

They use Propylene glycol to defrost planes.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    When I need to take vitamins (which is rare) I that ones that come from food sources and not a lab.
    So say someone is obese and lacking in vitamins and you suggest they get them from food sources, and those food sources they need them from put them calorie surplus each day. Would that still be your suggestion or would vitamins from a bottle be better? This it NOT an unusual case BTW. Happens in VLCD all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Considering your qualifications, from one professional to another.....do you not consider the health of your clients to be more important? Any obese client should be focusing their diet on nutritionally dense foods, including vegetables etc.. and this certainly wouldn't be difficult on VLCD either.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It caused my daughter and I massive headaches. My husband nearly died from aspartame toxicity. So no it is not safe.

Splenda is not better either.

Why aspartame? a chemical processed additive instead of natural organic sugar? It's a no brainer either over load your liver with toxins or give it a higher calories food which it knows how to process.
  • LethainIowa
    Options
    I have no concerns over aspartame for myself.

I have no concerns over other people using aspartame provided that they don't have any personal aversion to it and they don't have PKU (inability to metabolize phenylalanine).

Aspartame immediately breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine and neither of these are harmful, and both of these items are found in regular food sources.

Now if I happened to get my information from documentaries instead of actual research, I would probably fear aspartame. That comment is not directed at you.

^^ saved me a lot of typing ^^
  • ssami_89
    ssami_89 Posts: 79
    Options
    DELICIOUS!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I prefer Stevia right now. I say right now because as more information comes in about "sugar" replacements, I can have my mind changed. Aspartame has never had any ill effects on me but sacharin gave me severe stomach pains so I stopped that one altogether. :) denise
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It caused my daughter and I massive headaches. My husband nearly died from aspartame toxicity. So no it is not safe.

Why aspartame? a chemical processed additive instead of natural organic sugar? It's a no brainer either over load your liver with toxins or give it a higher calories food which it knows how to process.

The body processes it just fine. It's broken down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid, these are two amino acids found in everyday food items.

Methanol is a digestive byproduct of aspartame and methanol is broken down in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase. It breaks down into formaldehyde which is either used or converted to formic acid and excreted in the urine.

Your body knows exactly how to metabolize it unless you've got PKU in which case the phenylalanine will present problems.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

The body processes it just fine. It's broken down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid, these are two amino acids found in everyday food items.

Methanol is a digestive byproduct of aspartame and methanol is broken down in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase. It breaks down into formaldehyde which is either used or converted to formic acid and excreted in the urine.

Your body knows exactly how to metabolize it unless you've got PKU in which case the phenylalanine will present problems.
    And once again, science trumps hysteria.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

And once again, science trumps hysteria.

Or that food politics reigns once again.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have seen nothing to convince me that it's in any way dangerous.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Do you not wonder why there's no conflicting studies yet many many people that feel they have a reaction?

Btw I am undecided on this issue, I choose to not include it in my diet because the products that contain them have no nutritional benefit. I am however well versed in food politics and this is why it bothers me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do you not wonder why there's no conflicting studies yet many many people that feel they have a reaction?

Same goes for MSG, see Chinese restaurant syndrome
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There are plenty of conflicting studies. The ones that show harmful effects are usually done on rodents and typically use doses that are not even remotely proximal to human consumption or they use injected aspartame which isn't realistic because aspartame doesn't enter the bloodstream as aspartame due to the rate at which it breaks down.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    id have real sugar before fake sugar, honestly
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

There are plenty of conflicting studies. The ones that show harmful effects are usually done on rodents and typically use doses that are not even remotely proximal to human consumption or they use injected aspartame which isn't realistic because aspartame doesn't enter the bloodstream as aspartame due to the rate at which it breaks down.

Do you always call conspiracy when something challenges your previously held beliefs?

No in fact it doesn't challenge my beliefs. Not did I make it a personal issue. Do you believe everything your government tells you?