how do people feel about aspartame?

Options

Replies

• BlueEyes2000
    BlueEyes2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Soon enough they are going to say that everything is bad for us, I guess the only safe thing to do is drink plain water and even too much of that is bad.

I find this a cop out. There are sooooooo many things to eat and drink that are healthy for you such as vegetables, fruits, fresh squeezed fruit juices, herbal teas, honey, legumes, lentils, rice, barley, millet, quinoa, nuts, seeds, seaweed, healthy oils like olive oil and coconut oil, etc, etc. And for those that aren't vegan there's eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, meat, fish, etc. Notice none of these foods come from a laboratory but from nature. It's the processed foods, the foods that "food scientists" create that always end up being bad for you . . . or at the least they end up not being good for you like the bounty from nature.

I agree with this logic and follow it. Seems to me, most of us are not scientist, do not spend days researching products and byproducts. Just because someone tries to refute what you or I think doesn't make any of us "wrong", stop bashing and start helping one another down this road that we are all on. Healthy, but not obsessing, is the best. Actually Salt and Sugar is bad for the body too... but moderation, enjoy life and the blessings we have in America, worry less about being the only one that is right all the time. Just saying.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Whilst I don't like the idea of artificial sweeteners, in fact any food additives, I think there is little we can do to get away from them aside from living like a hermit in a shed up a mountain. My 2nd son is sensitive to a lot of food additives, as well as natural foods like chocolate, tomato and kiwi fruits despite the doctors and food companies saying that they were fine. I only drink 1-2 500ml bottles of diet soda a week and try and avoid it in foods. We have learnt to watch out for the reaction, and avoid where necessary. Otherwise, keep it to a minimum if there is no reasonable alternative. There will always be some people out there who do react to these things, just as there are some people who are lactose intolerant (my youngest son). And now we seem to have a dog that is sensitive to colourings..........
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Personally everything I eat has one ingredient. I don't eat the foods or drink the liquids that have it in. Personal choice due to neurological disease. When you get sick you get pretty choosy on what you put into your body.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    never killed anyone.. prove me wrong?

Tell that to the rats in this study. Over 60% of the female rats and over 20% of the males developed grotesque tumors.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/09/victoria-innessbrowns-aspartame-experiment.aspx

name of person who died?

Mr Whiskers.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    I'm not convinced the stuff is as evil as everyone says it is, and I do knowingly partake from time to time, but I choose to avoid it whenever possible. When I gave up pepsi and other soda's I chose not to start on the diet versions. Why give up something bad for me just to jump to something I see as just as bad?

However it's still something I feel like I should avoid if possible... but so is caffeine and I'm not giving that up... yet :)
  • Icyy037
    Icyy037 Posts: 13
    Options
    I personally can't have it, I get horrible migraines, so it's a no go for me.
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

After several years of taking substances made with aspartame or Nutrasweet daily, my mother was hospitalized three times in 6 months and nearly died. No one could figure out what her problem was until one doctor suggested she avoid aspartame. After 6 months she was completely recovered. Does a very near death experience count for you?

My mother was not the only one who became excessively ill after taking artificial sweeteners. A diabetic friend nearly died when her body went haywire after several years of consuming saccharine and other artificial sweeteners. I am not into fear mongering and I usually am the first one to stand up and say people are talking bologna, but all that stuff...and I mean ALL of it...is terribly bad for you when consumed daily. This is based on real experiences with real friends and family who very really nearly died, because instead of learning to live without sweets, they turned to chemical substances to feed their sugar addictions.

IMHO, it's better to avoid fake sugar; use real sugar sparingly for a rare treat, log it and make peace with it. Drink water, or unsweetened tea and coffee. have an apple instead of apple pie. And if you have an artificial sweetner once in a blue moon, of course nothing is going to happen to you. But if you drink a liter of diet soda a day and eat diet candies every day and put sweeteners in your tea all afternoon and think you are "getting away" with it because you aren't consuming calories, think again. Over time, all that will come home to roost and you will be very unhealthy, no matter what your weight.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    http://www.janethull.com/newsletter/0507/the_silent_side_of_research.php

The "Silent" Side of Aspartame Research

You're going to be shocked at what the "silenced side" of scientific research reveals about aspartame. Or maybe you're just shocked that there IS a silent side concerning the truth about aspartame dangers.

The harmful effects of aspartame are now more widely known than ever before, and the risks of using aspartame are very well-documented. Aspartame penetrates the blood-brain barrier, hence entering the brain and creating neurotoxic havoc at the brain center. And don't forget, aspartame IS a "drug" and is not natural in any way.

People should be aware that aspartame is currently being studied by reputable research scientists from around the world, and that the research shows aspartame is responsible for multiple forms of cancer, including lymphoma and leukemia, memory loss, nerve disorders, and has biological effects on gene expressions.

The corporations who stand to profit the most from aspartame have exercised their power over the truth and information about aspartame dangers for over three decades. Their claims of product safety and non-culpable research have been used over the past twenty-five years to market NutraSweet®/Equal®. Currently, these corporate safety claims are being publicly challenged through new research that has previously been steered away from the public eye. Maybe, now, consumers can prevent further harm to their health from aspartame, which was placed in the public food supply in 1982.

European researchers have the United States' scientists beat hands-down when it comes to respectable research on the dangers of chemical sweeteners. Today, we must look across the pond for the most progressive and highly respected academic research on aspartame's dangers to human health. Dr. Morando Soffritti of the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center, European Ramazzini Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences, has performed such esteemed work. The Soffritti Studies demonstrate the most recent reputable research of the multipotential carcinogenic effects of aspartame administered in feed to Sprague-Dawley rats. Dr. Soffritti has proven aspartame is a carcinogen in two separate studies.

The results of the mega-experiments indicate aspartame is a multipotential carcinogenic agent, even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg b.w. (milligrams per kilograms per body weight), much less than the current ADI (Average Daily Intake) for humans of 40 mg/kg b.w. (Europe) or 50 mg/kg b.w. (United States). On the basis of these research results, the Italian research team has recommended a re-evaluation of the present guidelines on the use and consumption of aspartame as "urgent and cannot be delayed."

For the original research study, visit this link: Bella Italia: The Soffritti Aspartame Study

The second aspartame study from the Ramazzini Foundation has not yet been posted on the Internet, but I will have it available in PDF format on www.sweetpoison.com as soon as it becomes available. The politics behind the aspartame safety issue run deep, and many government agencies do not respect Dr. Soffritti's conclusions as valid proof of aspartame dangers. As an educated consumer, YOU decide for yourself if aspartame is, indeed, a threat to your health or to the health of your loved ones.

On July 19, 2005, Dr. Stylianos Tsakiris, Department of Experimental Physiology, Medical School, University of Athens and his research team at the Institute of Child Health, Research Center, Aghia Sophia Children's Hospital, Athens, Greece published a study that showed high levels and cumulative toxic concentrations of aspartame decreased the membrane AChE activity, resulting in memory loss. Additionally, neurological symptoms, including learning and memory processes, appeared in the study to be related to the high or toxic concentrations of the sweetener metabolites.

To download this study, visit this link: The Tsakiris Aspartame Study

The Trocho study from Spain is a general study on artificial sweeteners' toxicity supported through the Bosch & Gimpera Foundation, Barcelona, Spain. Simply stated, the researchers studied the conversion of aspartame methanol to formaldehyde and its eventual effect on overall physiologic function. The study concluded that aspartame consumption may constitute a hazard because of its contribution to the formation of formaldehyde adducts (when a chemical binds to a biological molecule, such as DNA or a protein). The binding of methanol-derived carbon to tissue proteins was widespread in the study, affecting all body systems, fully reaching even sensitive targets such as the brain and retina.

For the complete research text, visit this link: Trocho Aspartame Study From Spain

The Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Public Health University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary, published a new aspartame study January, 2007 showing that aspartame ingested, even at maximum daily dose, changes the genes in various organs in animals. Information on this study can be found on the following website, and when the original research documents come available, I will post them in PDF format on www.sweetpoison.com:

The Pecs, Hungary Study

The purpose of this short-term study was to investigate the biological effects of aspartame consumption on key oncogenes and on the tumor suppressor gene. After one week of aspartame administered at various doses to CBA/CA female mice, the results showed that among the rats receiving aspartame, a significant increase of lymphoreticular neoplasms, brain tumors and transitional cell tumors occurred. The research team concluded that aspartame has a biological effect in the body, even at the recommended daily maximum dose.

Knowledge is power. As an educated consumer, you have the information available to choose what you and your family will ingest. Unnatural artificial sweeteners may, indeed, affect your health. Why take the chance? Now that you know the truth, that is!

Dr. Hull is author of Sweet Poison: How The World's Most Popular Sweetener Is Killing Us and Splenda: Is It Safe Or Not?. For more information from Dr. Hull, please visit her
    Main Site
    Aspartame Site
    Splenda Site

If you need help getting off aspartame or have questions and need to speak with someone about aspartame dangers, there is a 1,000 plus member support group at:

Support Aspartame Group Message Board:
    Aspartame Support Group
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I avoid it as much as possible, mostly because it's in a lot of packaged/processed foods which I don't eat that much of. Personally I've found that since I stopped eating foods with those fake sugars that I feel 100% better.... no more crashes, headaches, more energy, and I no longer crave sugar as much. Not to mention fake sugars give me wicked bad acid reflux :frown:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

After several years of taking substances made with aspartame or Nutrasweet daily, my mother was hospitalized three times in 6 months and nearly died. No one could figure out what her problem was until one doctor suggested she avoid aspartame. After 6 months she was completely recovered. Does a very near death experience count for you?

My mother was not the only one who became excessively ill after taking artificial sweeteners. A diabetic friend nearly died when her body went haywire after several years of consuming saccharine and other artificial sweeteners. I am not into fear mongering and I usually am the first one to stand up and say people are talking bologna, but all that stuff...and I mean ALL of it...is terribly bad for you when consumed daily. This is based on real experiences with real friends and family who very really nearly died, because instead of learning to live without sweets, they turned to chemical substances to feed their sugar addictions.

IMHO, it's better to avoid fake sugar; use real sugar sparingly for a rare treat, log it and make peace with it. Drink water, or unsweetened tea and coffee. have an apple instead of apple pie. And if you have an artificial sweetner once in a blue moon, of course nothing is going to happen to you. But if you drink a liter of diet soda a day and eat diet candies every day and put sweeteners in your tea all afternoon and think you are "getting away" with it because you aren't consuming calories, think again. Over time, all that will come home to roost and you will be very unhealthy, no matter what your weight.

so it was conclusively the aspartamine.. she couldnt have had other bad health problems or be out of shape?? there are people who have been consuming sweetnlow for like 30+ years and still dont have health problems.. what do you say to them?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    so would you rather listen to the crazies who think a man-made synthetic chemical in your diet is completely benign and risk that they're wrong?

or would you rather cut it out and not have to worry?

the crap is linked to all sorts of medical problems - I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's not like it even tastes good compared to the real thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    so would you rather listen to the crazies who think a man-made synthetic chemical in your diet is completely benign and risk that they're wrong?

the crap is linked to all sorts of medical problems - I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's not like it even tastes good compared to the real thing.
    I'd listen to scientific evidence.

Come on Reddy, if man made synthetic chemicals were all "bad" then oral medicines would be on that list. And any chemical may/will result in side effects if taken in abusive amounts, allergic to it, genetic issues with it, etc.

One could say, why take vitamins?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Come on Reddy, if man made synthetic chemicals were all "bad" then oral medicines would be on that list. And any chemical may/will result in side effects if taken in abusive amounts, allergic to it, genetic issues with it, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

yeah i agree. i think pharmaceutical drugs should be a last resort and avoided if at all possible.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

When I need to take vitamins (which is rare) I that ones that come from food sources and not a lab.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    When I need to take vitamins (which is rare) I that ones that come from food sources and not a lab.
    So say someone is obese and lacking in vitamins and you suggest they get them from food sources, and those food sources they need them from put them calorie surplus each day. Would that still be your suggestion or would vitamins from a bottle be better? This it NOT an unusual case BTW. Happens in VLCD all the time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reading
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    So say someone is obese and lacking in vitamins and you suggest they get them from food sources, and those food sources they need them from put them calorie surplus each day. Would that still be your suggestion or would vitamins from a bottle be better? This it NOT an unusual case BTW. Happens in VLCD all the time.

IDEA Fitness member

veggies won't put you at a calorie surplus, and if they do, it's because you ate too much food that was vitamin-deficient.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    For myself personally when I was younger( around 15) I noticed that I would get debilitating migraines whenever I had something that had Aspartame in it. I stopped eating anything with it in it. Gum, drinks, food whatever and the problems went away. After I had stopped eating it for quite awhile I tried a drink with aspartame in it specifically just to see if that was the problem and I was out for the whole day in bed in excruciating pain. So that was enough of a test for me.

I don't have scientific studies to back me up but that is enough proof for me that it's not good for me. Others may not have any adverese effects from consuming it but for me I will never touch the stuff again. Not worth it.

EDIT: On a less serious note I personally also find it taste kind gross and made in extremely thirsty if I ate or drank anything that had aspartame in it. But that is just personal preference. :tongue:
  • WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Aspartame and sucralose are migraine triggers for me, and apparently for many others as well. I avoid them religiously.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm talking about vitamin capsules or tablets that are made from extracts of real food, vs synthetic vitamins. Sorry if my post was confusing.