Can't BELIEVE this guy said this about a size 8 / Medium!

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
I work at a high-end athletic clothing store that caters to size 2-12. Most of the girls I work with are in the size 4-8 category, or Extra Small, Small, or Medium.

Yesterday a man came in the store, looking for an outfit for his girlfriend. He was talking to one of my co-workers, who happens to be a size 8. The man was trying to decide what size to get his girlfriend, so my co-worker said "Is she anything like me?" to which he answered "No, she's smaller". Then she said to him "Well a 4 here is an Extra Small, a 6 here is a size Small, and an 8 is..." and before she could finish he cut her off with "Divorced". He said it in a completely serious tone and did not laugh. CAN YOU BELIEVE THE NERVE OF HIM? :mad:

It got me thinking... If I were her what would I have done or said to him? In hindsight she said she wished she had said "Our company is all about encouraging people to live a happy, healthy life. Your comment is disrespectful towards women. A size 8 is a perfectly healthy size and I am very offended by your comment. You can either apologize to me as a size 8 woman, or leave my store immediately."

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    what does that mean? I guess I missed the point. Divorced?

Oh. OK. slow today, ha.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Haha are you being serious :laugh:
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    What a tool.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    What a jerk. Shows how disposable marriage is today though.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

And shows people's unrealistic expectations in today's society!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Yep, this one example shows the downfall of society.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I thought it was kind of funny.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Uh..... I laughed, too.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    my goal is to reach a size 8. I am 6 sizes from that. I would be offended also.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    What he lacks in manners he makes up for in wit.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It was at least quick-witted?

I had an ex tell me once that I was "only allowed to gain weight 2 or 3 times in our 'life together'" (referring to when I popped out his kids). Needless to say, that relationship didn't last.

I was, and still am, out of his league looks-wise. He still calls to ask "how I'm doing". Douche-canoe.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Rude thing to say, but I feel more sorry for his wife than your coworker, to be honest.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty funny. But then again, I'm not out looking to be offended.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I would have asked him if he found Marilyn Monroe attractive.

She was a 10, by the way.

And did anyone care if she could act? No. All they cared about was whether she was in focus.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Yep, this one example shows the downfall of society.

She said "unrealistic expectations" not "downfall" of todays society.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It got me thinking... If I were her what would I have done or said to him? In hindsight she said she wished she had said "Our company is all about encouraging people to live a happy, healthy life. Your comment is disrespectful towards women. A size 8 is a perfectly healthy size and I am very offended by your comment. You can either apologize to me as a size 8 woman, or leave my store immediately."

Yeah, your friend probably shouldn't work in customer service without having thicker skin.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Thing is, he said it about his own GF & not the woman in the store. He would have no need to apologize to her because e was not speaking about her at all.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a guy who needs a girl on the smaller side so some part of his anatomy or another will potentially look big in comparison.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have issues.

I have always thought men who obsess over a woman's weight have serious issues themselves. A close friend of mine has an ex who used to limit her food and obsess over her looks, and she was a size two, but it turned out he was gay... And the way he treated her was a way of coping with not being able to be himself. They got divorced and they are both a lot happier and a lot better off.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Because guys that prefer petite women have small penises. Got it.
    Nope, because he made a point of saying it to a sales clerk when it wasn't relevant.