Can't BELIEVE this guy said this about a size 8 / Medium!

Options

Replies

• PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Apparently a lot of people in here think his joke is funny. I don't see the humor in it. Not to sound mean, but I could see the humor in it if he would have said a larger size, one that is generally associated with being fat. But an 8...not generally considered to be a "fat size"...so his joke was just empty to me.
    :(

Not funny when it's about a smaller woman, but it's ok to laugh at the fat ladies? You may not have meant to sound mean, but...

I never said it was okay to laugh. I never even said that I would find it funny. I just said that I would be able to understand the logic and the humor in his joke if he had said a bigger size.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was funny, and trust me..I definitely have a sense of humor.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am a woman and I don't find offense to this.

Some men prefer smaller women. Some men prefer athletic women. Some men prefer large women.

Just like some women prefer athletic and muscular men. Some women are fine with husbands who have beer guts.

I personally would NEVER consider dating someone who looks unhealthy because I am healthy and live an active, healthy lifestyle. Does that make me vain or shallow? Maybe. But those are MY preferences.

Those are HIS preferences and it's not like he flat out told your friend she is fat and disgusting. He probably didn't even realize your friend IS a size 8 or I am sure he wouldn't have made that comment.

I think your friend needs to get over it: she works in customer service and that is not the worst thing she'll ever hear.

This.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a guy who needs a girl on the smaller side so some part of his anatomy or another will potentially look big in comparison.

love this!! :drinker:
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a guy who needs a girl on the smaller side so some part of his anatomy or another will potentially look big in comparison.

Hey, I was going to say that lol!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It was at least quick-witted?

I had an ex tell me once that I was "only allowed to gain weight 2 or 3 times in our 'life together'" (referring to when I popped out his kids). Needless to say, that relationship didn't last.

I was, and still am, out of his league looks-wise. He still calls to ask "how I'm doing". Douche-canoe.
    '

your not really out of anyones leagues looks wise drop the ego
    You must be the ex.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My wife told me, in all seriousness, that she was no longer attracted to me due to the size I had reached. And I was nowhere close to the folks who are having to lose 100+ lbs to get to healthy. Should she be shunned and called out as a horrible person? Not really any different from this guy that we are all hating on, is she?

Also, Marilyn Monroe would have looked like she was playing dress up in mommy's clothes if she put on a modern day size 10 or 12 dress. Are you people kidding? I have seen every one of her movies and drooled over her photos since I was about 10. That woman was not even close to a size 10 or 12, although she did have a fairly unusual body shape, much more hourglass than the average woman.

Look at this picture and claim again that she is a "full figured" woman. I hate this myth.

marilyn-monroe2-340x460.jpg

Full article if you're interested.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/marilyn-monroe-was-not-even-close-to-a-size-12-16/
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My wife told me, in all seriousness, that she was no longer attracted to me due to the size I had reached. And I was nowhere close to the folks who are having to lose 100+ lbs to get to healthy. Should she be shunned and called out as a horrible person? Not really any different from this guy that we are all hating on, is she?
    Not being attracted to is miles and miles away from divorcing because you're no longer acceptable arm candy.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Not being attracted to is miles and miles away from divorcing because you're no longer acceptable arm candy.
    If a woman tells a man she is not attracted to him, I think that's pretty strong stuff. Now, personally I am glad she did, it was one of the catalysts I needed to fix some things.

Anyhow, I gotta disagree with you. If some poor schmuck of a man dared to say he was no longer attracted to his wife because she had gained 30 lbs, he would be getting shredded right now for how shallow he is. We all know it, too.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If a woman tells a man she is not attracted to him, I think that's pretty strong stuff. Now, personally I am glad she did, it was one of the catalysts I needed to fix some things.

Anyhow, I gotta disagree with you. If some poor schmuck of a man dared to say he was no longer attracted to his wife because she had gained 30 lbs, he would be getting shredded right now for how shallow he is. We all know it, too.
    You're entitled to do that. :) I don't know what other people would say-- I just know that isn't something I would say, if I participated in the conversation at all.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    WHAT AN A-HOLE!!

does the OP work at lululemon?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    she did have a fairly unusual body shape, much more hourglass than the average woman.

Eight percent of the world's female population is a true hourglass and she was an extreme hourglass. My measurements are proportional to Marilyn's (though I'm not as tiny as she was -- I was when I was younger and trying to get there again!).

I was 41/29/41 the last time I measured. I wear a modern size 8 (small to medium tops and dresses) and sometimes a 6. As someone stated above, though she did go up and down in weight, for the most part, MM was 34/22/34. And she was a bit taller than I am.

I'm far from my ideal, but the vast majority of the population (male or female) would not look at me -- clothed or nude -- and think I'm exactly huge. MM was TINY. People think she was bigger than she was simply because her bust/waist/hip ratio was so extreme. They were all still much smaller than average.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    cute-cat-laughing.jpg
    You also have a solid reputation in the single peeps group for being a 'jerk' to put it mildly.
    Not a personal attack, just an observation.
    Thanks for the heads up.:flowerforyou:
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also, Marilyn Monroe would have looked like she was playing dress up in mommy's clothes if she put on a modern day size 10 or 12 dress. Are you people kidding? I have seen every one of her movies and drooled over her photos since I was about 10. That woman was not even close to a size 10 or 12, although she did have a fairly unusual body shape, much more hourglass than the average woman.

Look at this picture and claim again that she is a "full figured" woman. I hate this myth.

marilyn-monroe2-340x460.jpg

Full article if you're interested.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/marilyn-monroe-was-not-even-close-to-a-size-12-16/

Ohh, I hate it when people proclaim, "Marilyn Monroe was a size ___." It doesn't matter what size Marilyn Monroe was because the sizes back then were much different; they were much smaller.

But you're right, Marilyn was quite small. Very curvy, but small. For anyone who's wondering (and to finally kill this myth that Marilyn was a size ___), here are her actual measurements, reflecting her weight/size fluctuations as well:

According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The best reply to a comment like that is:

"A great happiness for the woman."

Best comment on here
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    22826958.jpg
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

This topic has come up before, and there is usually quite vocal support about how partners should have to live up to their partners expectations of attractiveness if that's how they looked when they got together etc. While you can find people who stereotype and dislike people of the opposite gender anywhere, I don't really see much male bashing here, and there's often a lot of admiration and praising of the guys here.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of guys like that
    and a lot of those guys are single or dating air heads so either way they suck.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WHAT AN A-HOLE!!

does the OP work at lululemon?

I was thinking the same thing...
    Lululemon for sure.

Eventhough the other day when I was there... one of the sales associates was an easy 16+
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!! How ignorant. I'm a size 8 in my profile pic and get told all the time how thin I am (was, LOL!). We all carry weight differently, I'm 6'0" tall and was a size 6 on top and 8 on the bottom, But no matter your height I'm not sure I've ever seen a fat size 8, that guy's just a jerk.