What makes a girl intimidating?

Options

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's not fear or intimidation, unless you are swinging a machete with blood-crazed eyes.

It's a risk calculation.

- Does she have a stone face on? Bah, I'll go talk to someone else that wants to talk.
    - Is she all dressed up in tight clothes, and I'm just a regular dude? She has no interest. I'll go talk to the girl next door.
    - Tall girl? Women generally dslike shorter men, and while there may be exceptions, it's a bad risk for *me*.

Of course, the smart guys aren't afraid of a "no", will just say "screw it" and approach anyway.
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's conditioning from a lifetime of rejection.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I tend to not approach one that is screaming and holding a loaded gun.

JM
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What makes a girl intimidating?

Artificially putting her up on a pedestal when there is no tangible evidence to suggest she actually should be on said pedestal.

Looks, popularity, social status, wealth etc is not good evidence for the same lofty placement.
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think a womans Intimidation factor to a guy is very dependant on his own insecurity.

if a woman appears to be intimidating to the man, It usualy means that HE BELIEVES that the woman is above and possibly out of his league... too good for him, and his chances are slim to none of getting your attention. Even if this may not be the real case.

Alot of it has to do with the apearance, attitude, sucessfullness, ambition... if its all really good then it places a high value on her, making her seem possibly "out of reach."
  • Bigbill810
    Bigbill810 Posts: 117
    Options
    I get intimidated by women that I actually have a chance to be with. I have no problem talking and being friendly with women who I have no chance to be with. It's pretty much the opposite of normal.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I think a womans Intimidation factor to a guy is very dependant on his own insecurity.

if a woman appears to be intimidating to the man, It usualy means that HE BELIEVES that the woman is above and possibly out of his league... too good for him, and his chances are slim to none of getting your attention. Even if this may not be the real case.

Alot of it has to do with the apearance, attitude, sucessfullness, ambition... if its all really good then it places a high value on her, making her seem possibly "out of reach."

^^This!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would love to know...........I'm a teddy bear i swear. I apparently have "swag" and guys/girls get intimidated. I'm really just a dork.....merp.

youre lucky youre young.

else i would have reported you to the authorities for using the term "swag"
  • Aepek
    Aepek Posts: 15
    Options
    A battle axe.

No! An electrified battle axe!

With 'go-faster stripes'.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Exactly.

It doesn't help that, as a society, we condition ourselves to believe that these leagues even exist in the first place - that looks, popularity, wealth and so on equates with being better...

What a load of nonsense. You know what is of real value ~ being a good person and making the world a better place by your presence in it.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    If she can drop a bigger duece than I can....I'm intimidated.

Or possibly in love, not quite sure.

Women don't poop. Sheesh....what is this?
  • dad4192
    dad4192 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So, its normal for guys to be afraid to approach a girl. Guys, just curious, what makes some girls more intimidating than others?

I have never been afraid. I will talk to anyone anywhere anytime. Its what I am striving to teach my son. Am I a flirt? Probably, but its harmless. I like to make people smile. I go out of my way to make women in general smile. In my life (35 years so far) I find that if you make them smile, even if for a minute, they will be more likely to respond. Beauty can be intimidating, but I have found that the more attractive someone is, the lonelier they are. Sure, they get a lot of attention, but how much of that is someone trying to get them in bed? Or just trying to make them smile?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You're not intimidating, we're just nervous. Yes, there is a difference. We are nervous because we actually happen to like you enough to think things through, plan ahead and then make a calculated approach. We're nervous that the only chance we got with you might be wasted and so we fear rejection. I personally don't feel nervous anymore because frankly, I just don't find girls that I care for. I just walk up to them now and start talking.

Ladies, you want the guy to be nervous. This shows that he cares about you enough to feel nervous about possible rejection.

This is sort of what my issue is, but my nerves actually don't come from the women so much as my own situation.

I'll talk to just about anybody, but it's a different matter of talking to them with the hopes of it becoming something more than pleasant conversation to pass the time while I'm out in public, tonight.

I'm attracted to women who have a lot going for them and have that ability to be independent. However, that's also what can give me cold feet, especially now that most women my age are fairly established in their careers and lives.

Since I went onto Active Duty in the military back in 2006, there has never been a point in my career where I didn't have orders deploying me, transferring me to a base across the country, or even transferring me to a base in another conuntry, altogether- usually within a few months. Knowing that there's always caveat that I'm disappearing in a few months makes it hard for me to bite the bullet and take the chance and I usually get into the mindset of "why bother". It's hard to break that mindset when part of my mind is on an impending deployment or transfer (or my current situation- an upcoming transfer followed by a nearly immediate deployment). When Uncle Sam makes you a rolling stone, it can be hard to find another stone rolling in the same direction.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about the basics of flirting, it's not the guy who's making the first move but the girl, who has to display her receptiveness to the guy. This is done by glancing over a few times and smiling. Once this is done the guy has the a-okay to move in.
    However if that signal is not sent I can see where there might be some 'intimidation' factored in. Likewise if it's sent too over zealously. That's my guess anyways.

Well that would explain why my flirtation tactic of staring fiercely at the ground whenever I'm out in public isn't working out for me. I seriously need to get over this shyness thing. I'm thinking alcohol will help. Now I just need a designated driver, since low carb+alcohol=so very, very drunk. :laugh:
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well I have multiple strikes against me, according to this thread! People (male, female, friends, romantic partners) have told me my whole life that I'm intimidating. I went on a first date with a guy and he honestly said to me "Man, you're tough". (He was shorter and smaller than me. ha!)

I think it is because of lots of reasons, and those reasons have changed over the years. First off, I am tall and have a large frame. I never used to smile and I had super short wacky colored hair and lots of face piercings (everyone thought I was a lesbian, idiots). Now, I have muscles, and I am kinda hot, thanks to cycling. I love outdoor activities and trying any sport. I don't have a PhD, but I do have a master's degree, in science. I drink beer, especially IPAs. I am confident. I am independent.

So I went from being overweight, out of shape, angry, all the time and never smiling to being athletic and toned, confident, happy, well educated, and constantly smiling. Still intimidating, but hopefully more approachable! lol
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When she's got that "crazy eyed look" and she's holding a loaded handgun.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Look......I hate the term as well. It was reserved for bi and lesbian community for a while to know who was gay or not. Apparently i give off a vibe. Honestly several men/women say that i'm intimidating simply because I do martial arts and look confident. Then if you talk to me for about 2 minutes. I'll dork out on something and then all intimidation is lost.
    Yes, I would love to know...........I'm a teddy bear i swear. I apparently have "swag" and guys/girls get intimidated. I'm really just a dork.....merp.

youre lucky youre young.

else i would have reported you to the authorities for using the term "swag"
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find men are intimidated by:
    1) women taller then them ;)
    2) women that are really pretty
    3)women that arnt easy lol... I think that has a lot to do with a man's self esteem as well
    4) very opinionated women
    5) women that have a high level of education... or perhaps a really high paying career
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I've been told that my height is intimidating.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am almost ashamed to say it, but i have been told numerous times through my teens and now that I come across as intimidating.

Apparently this is because I am talkative and animated, sometimes loud, and quite blunt. I have tried in the past to make myself quieter and behave like a 'lady', but i have largely given up now, as it always comes out in the end. I think it makes me look confident and probably arrogant at times (I didnt say it was a good thing)

However, I wouldnt say this was for men only, as I have heard the same from women.

You must be my much younger sister. LOL.

I've been told this for years by males/females/friends/etc.

I think because I am animated, loud, talkative, sometimes crass, forward, honest, etc, that is intimidating to some. I've never tried to be quieter or more reserved because I know there's nothing to be scared of with me and to not be how I am...that would just make me awkward.

I'm really just goofy, silly, and clumsy, and I do laugh entirely too loud.