Why the need to bring people down who are in shape?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It must be scary as hell for people who are not willing to put any effort whatsoever in improving their bodies or their minds. Scares the damn crap out of them....
    Yep, it brings out the nasty, catty side in a lot of them. Sometimes when people feel inadequate, they lash out against those who have the self-discipline and intestinal fortitude to succeed. It's much easier to saw "eeeewwww" and convince themselves that they wouldn't want to look like that, rather than admitting that they don't have the guts and drive it would take to achieve it. Walking around the mountain in your way is much easier than climbing it.

Matt, I just want to say that you and Yo have shown a lot of class and poise in response to some of the body shaming and nasty comments that have been directed toward both of you. It speaks volumes of your character and your self-confidence.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    And genuinely is this really a scary look?

yo3m.jpg

yo1vc.jpg

I want to sniff her hair. Then wash it. Repeatedly and thoroughly. See if I can get some of her awesomeness by washing and smelling her hair. Think it'll work?
    OMG, Is THIS the photo which someone criticized? I just sent you a private message telling you how impressed I was and asking if you offered online training. I would hire you in a heartbeat if you do. She looks amazing. Anyone that put her down is jealous. There can't be anything else to it.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I'm calling this phenomenon PlanetFitnessitis...because just like their "judgment free zone" that has one very specific exception, MFP seems to be a "body shaming free zone" except for this one very specific exception.

It really is fascinating.
    Yep. Try going into a "Success Stories" thread where somebody is celebrating their weight loss and make a comment like "you've lost weight, but now you're skinnyfat and saggy...ewwww!". You'd be crucified. It's apparently perfectly okay to make nasty comments about people who are in good shape, though....I guess that's not considered "body shaming".
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Never mind.

Saw before the snip!

Anyone is capable of being an *kitten*, and yes you will defo find some people who are up their own behinds in shape, no doubt.

However, this thread is about helping people people out and the insults one gets back BASED on their shape when people post ASKING for help.
    I know that is why I said never mind. I posted my comment and then went back and reread what you wrote and realized I read it wrong and thus off target and so that is why I deleted.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Matt, your an intelligent guy. I don't know why it isn't blindingly obviously to you that all it boils down to is pure jealously. It's really nothing more than that IMO. People are intimidated that you/your gf will go to the next level to achieve something. It obviously makes them feel inadequate in some way and it brings out the snidey comments. Don't get hung up in it. It's meaningless Internet drivel at the end of the day. Just keep on keeping on :smile:

I don't usually get hung up on it per se, it just saddens me when all we do is post to try to help. People seem to get stuck at a weight, we suggest ways and means they may not be following but often the response is not the one they wish to hear so as you say, you get both barrels.

I honestly think people think you train hard and you look like that the next day or something equally daft - its a slow gradual process - once you achieve the look/bodyfat level you want you stop - some people seem convinced if you train in the methods I suggest you become a bulky muscled ridden freak overnight. I simply want to share my experience to benefit others.

Matt, I just want to say that you and Yo have shown a lot of class and poise in response to some of the body shaming and nasty comments that have been directed toward both of you. It speaks volumes of your character and your self-confidence.

The funny thing is, for years I was relatively skinny, teased for the fact and had an upbringing in which I was mocked. Self confidence/esteem was never my strong point - it has improved definitely somewhat since I began training however people do seem to think you have much thicker skin if you train than others. 100 nice comments can easily be blown away by 1 single negative comment, they can really sting!

OMG, Is THIS the photo which someone criticized? I just sent you a private message telling you how impressed I was and asking if you offered online training. I would hire you in a heartbeat if you do. She looks amazing. Anyone that put her down is jealous. There can't be anything else to it.

Yes it was the photo that was called scary among other things.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm not the insult anyone type. I'm the live and let live type, but sorry body builders have never impressed me. I actuallt kinda think the rippling muscle look rather off putting. If someone has that as their ideal body image, well good for you, but just as I feel sorry for the too thin and the too obese and not fighting to get healthier, I feel bad for the over bulked. We are all who we are, and I will never dismiss or ridicule someone due to their body, but never expect me to really like it.
    The pic of the lady, scary? No. Attractive? To some, I'm sure, but I never want to look like that. I dont want guns. I want lean and curves not to look like a supposed ideal form of mankind.my ideal form of mankind actually has no body at all just mind and soul, but until we achieve that I shall shoot for lean and curvy.
    My two bits
    cya
    cp
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    ok, I'm not the insult anyone type. I'm the live and let live type, but sorry body builders have never impressed me. I actuallt kinda think the rippling muscle look rather off putting. If someone has that as their ideal body image, well good for you, but just as I feel sorry for the too thin and the too obese and not fighting to get healthier, I feel bad for the over bulked. We are all who we are, and I will never dismiss or ridicule someone due to their body, but never expect me to really like it.
    The pic of the lady, scary? No. Attractive? To some, I'm sure, but I never want to look like that. I dont want guns. I want lean and curves not to look like a supposed ideal form of mankind.my ideal form of mankind actually has no body at all just mind and soul, but until we achieve that I shall shoot for lean and curvy.
    My two bits
    cya
    cp

CP, do you not see the irony of your post?

You have come onto a thread about being ANTI body-shaming and you have body shamed?
  • AnvilHead
    Options

You have come onto a thread about being ANTI body-shaming and you have body shamed?
    Oh, you noticed that too?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Dear Matt. You're common friends with many of my friends and so far, I have seen nothing but good words that I personally respect (and something I see lacking in our community). Your GF looks amazing and her hard work is showing off, even if its something thats not a cup of tea to many, nobody should deny the hard work.

I am with you on this thread too. The thread addresses an issue that is really becoming a problem in the community. Body bashing.

With that said, I just wanna know, why so many threads about your GF? Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you made bunch threads boosting your gf? Also curious, is she even on MFP? I don't mind reposts, I don't mind you showing her off as a motivation and inspiration to others but just wanted to know why multiple threads about your gf?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    With that said, I just wanna know, why so many threads about your GF? Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you made bunch threads boosting your gf? Also curious, is she even on MFP? I don't mind reposts, I don't mind you showing her off as a motivation and inspiration to others but just wanted to know why multiple threads about your gf?

We do weekly updates on her progress for her competitions she is doing, we regularly get asked about her progress and whenever we do we get asked questions because people often have the same goals or wish to get lean but do not know where to start.

As for her being posted onto other threads, it is used for an example of the methods suggested given and the results that one may achieve. I used to use myself but people see me and think I stopped being human a long while ago and say you are a bodybuilder, your methods will not work here. Yo has been bodybuilding with me for 4 months (last week of October) and these are the results she has got.

Yo is on the forums, her profile is www.myfitnesspal.com/yo_lazarov
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Oh, you noticed that too?

Me too! :laugh:
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    zUyHqMb.png

hahaha brilliant! :laugh:
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    the irony of.... No, I suppose it went over my head. I meant no shame on anyone. I merely pointed out obvious characteristics about people. If your gf likes how she looks thats all that truly matters. I understand you feeling irritated about people saying ewww or thats scary. I find her nor you either scary or gross. You have set a goal for youraelf and are meeting or maintaining it. Good for you. I appologize if I said anything shaming instead of merely stating my personal preference. I also am tired of people expecting everyone who is trying to get in shape and or get healthy that they want to look "ripped". No, that isn't everyones goal. We are all individual and we all have our own vision of beauty.
    Again, I am sorry if my first post was taken as insulting.
    Cya
    cp
  • jennifersue88
    Options
    People are jealous a-holes.
    body shaming is disgusting on either end of the spectrum, people suck.

I think shes hot. so whatevs, haters gon' hate
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I'm calling this phenomenon PlanetFitnessitis...because just like their "judgment free zone" that has one very specific exception, MFP seems to be a "body shaming free zone" except for this one very specific exception.

It really is fascinating.
    Yep. Try going into a "Success Stories" thread where somebody is celebrating their weight loss and make a comment like "you've lost weight, but now you're skinnyfat and saggy...ewwww!". You'd be crucified. It's apparently perfectly okay to make nasty comments about people who are in good shape, though....I guess that's not considered "body shaming".
    What he says is 100% true.

I also see this poor behavior on Facebook with beautiful super-model women with pages. If you read the comments they are about 80% mean and saying, "eww "ugly this" "ugly that" "your hair is too long" "your eyes are too close set" "you're too skinny" etc. So mean, so hurtful. She is a person with a heart, with feelings. It's as if they think the "beautiful or in shape" person must be superior and the posters feel inferior so if they find something to criticize him/her for then it is as if they are putting them down to their level of inferiority.

We must always remember that everyone has feelings and a heart and can be equally hurt regardless of their exterior. I hope this thread opens eyes.
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ...I also am tired of people expecting everyone who is trying to get in shape and or get healthy that they want to look "ripped". No, that isn't everyones goal. We are all individual and we all have our own vision of beauty.
    The expectation isn't that everybody wants to be "ripped". The expectation is that if you don't like the way somebody's body looks, don't say anything at all. If I click on somebody's success thread and see that they've lost 50 pounds, but most of it was muscle mass and they now look like a skinny, saggy, droopy mess, I don't post "ewww, skinnyfat, I'd NEVER want to look like that!". I hit the 'back' button on my browser and go find another thread. A lot of other people do the same, based upon what I've seen in the success threads, because the vast majority of the people who respond are congratulatory and positive. That's not always the case when somebody is "ripped" and/or muscular - some people have a seemingly irresistible compulsion to offer their two cents about how it looks too "masculine", or that it's unappealing, or some other negative comment on some part of the person's anatomy. That's the double standard Jojo referred to earlier in the thread. Instead, how about you hit your freaking back button, leave the freaking thread and go offer a more positive opinion to someone who's "curvy" (still fat, in other words) or skinnyfat or whatever. I'm sure they'll appreciate your input much more than the person whose parade you just rained upon.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.

Try finding it out while becoming good looking. Enhances the experience I think. Plus, you get free stuff like ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

zoolander.jpg
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options

zoolander.jpg

YES! :laugh: