cleanse

Options

Replies

• _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    That's fine. I don't particularly understand punishing your body by putting it through several days of weakness, shakiness, headaches, and whatever else extreme hunger pangs produce just to feel "cleansed" from foods I already pooped out days or weeks ago.

I don't think I'll ever understand that.

I don't have any of those problems on a cleansing diet. The main thing is to get all your calories and lots of fruits and vegetables, some meat, [I like tuna, salmon, elk, organic chicken (a bit more expensive but worth it)] and seed grains like amaranth, quinoa, or buckwheat. Some of the stuff is expensive but I try to eat cheap stuff like carrots, cabbage, and celery to make up for it.

Wait. Are you telling me that you DETOX your body by eating foods that contain mercury, fagopyrin, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, toxaphene, dieldrin, hexachlorobenzene (HCB), lindane, heptachlor epoxide, cis-nonachlor, trans-nonachlor, gamma-chlordane, alpha-chlordane, Mirex, endrin and DDT amongst others? What exactly are you cleansing from? How is this giving your liver a break at all? What do you think your liver cleans from your blood anyway?

Your body filters oxygen, water, nutrients, vitamins, toxins produced by digestion of proteins, etc... It passes them to your digestive tract via bile.

How does eating certain foods release anything stored in fat cells? It doesn't the only way to release anything contained in fat cells is by oxidation.

Even if I had bought into this idea before, you just assured me that it is a complete load of... bile.

An FYI, every question you people are asking on this page (such as this one) has been answered in this thread. If you read only the last three pages you'll find all the answers. It's too much work to retype what we have already discussed.

Take care.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this idea of giving your liver and kidneys a break. Unless you have a medical condition...your organs do what they are supposed to do. Do you also need to give your heart, lungs, and brain a break the same way you do with your liver and kidneys? It doesn't make sense.

Let's face it. If our livers and kidneys were at peak performance, none of us would be on this site in the first place. Have you tried any form of cleanse ever?

i have never jabbed a fork into my eye socket, but i know that it would be:

1) painful
    2) pointless with respect to my health

my objection to detox cleanses is not personal. it's scientific and rational. if you would take the time to learn how your body actually works, you would laugh at the whole concept of a detox cleanse too. it's bogus. it's non-scientific. it's a scam.

Science has never tested cleanses like this, the medical industry doesn't want it proven. If you listen to all the right people that know it works or try the right cleanses for yourself you will be amazed at how you feel and look. Detoxes can be explained scientifically by the vitamins and minerals they contain and what the liver needs for the phases of detoxification.

double-you-tee-eff is that? :laugh:

http://balancedconcepts.net/liver_phases_detox_paths.pdf

ummm... not a scientific source.

http://balancedconcepts.net/trish_bio.html

it's ok if you want to believe in voodoo. really, it doesn't affect me at all. i just hope the lurkers reading this thread are getting a healthy dose of skepticism from the other side... you know, the one where science and facts actually matter... before considering doing a so-called "detox cleanse".

if you can show me something from credible scientific or medical sources which shows these detoxes to be in any way based in reality or physiology, then i'll open my mind. but pointing me to quacks and new age practitioners is not going to sway me at all.
    Science and facts have never disproved cleanses in fact there has been some that have proved it works, but it's usually discredited without any real facts disproving it. (example: Gerson Therapy) it's usually people just trying to bring up bogus material and opinions on the matter. I wasn't trying to sway you, you didn't know what the phases of detoxification were so I gave you a pdf link explaining it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That's fine. I don't particularly understand punishing your body by putting it through several days of weakness, shakiness, headaches, and whatever else extreme hunger pangs produce just to feel "cleansed" from foods I already pooped out days or weeks ago.

I don't have any of those problems on a cleansing diet. The main thing is to get all your calories and lots of fruits and vegetables, some meat, [I like tuna, salmon, elk, organic chicken (a bit more expensive but worth it)] and seed grains like amaranth, quinoa, or buckwheat. Some of the stuff is expensive but I try to eat cheap stuff like carrots, cabbage, and celery to make up for it.

Wait. Are you telling me that you DETOX your body by eating foods that contain mercury, fagopyrin, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, toxaphene, dieldrin, hexachlorobenzene (HCB), lindane, heptachlor epoxide, cis-nonachlor, trans-nonachlor, gamma-chlordane, alpha-chlordane, Mirex, endrin and DDT amongst others? What exactly are you cleansing from? How is this giving your liver a break at all? What do you think your liver cleans from your blood anyway?

Your body filters oxygen, water, nutrients, vitamins, toxins produced by digestion of proteins, etc... It passes them to your digestive tract via bile.

How does eating certain foods release anything stored in fat cells? It doesn't the only way to release anything contained in fat cells is by oxidation.

Even if I had bought into this idea before, you just assured me that it is a complete load of... bile.

An FYI, every question you people are asking on this page (such as this one) has been answered in this thread. If you read only the last three pages you'll find all the answers. It's too much work to retype what we have already discussed.

Take care.

I've followed the entire thread. I saw where you said fat was toxic but no explanation and definitely no meaning. There is no need to re-type you can quote.

If you are talking about how you said it was a strain on your organs, I saw that but again, I think that is where the meaning is being confused.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    What exactly are you trying to cleanse?

I hope to find the answer to this on the three pages I haven't read yet. Would love to know what toxin is eliminated from the body as a result of a "cleanse" that is not otherwise eliminated.

I'm just curious about how toxic fat is.

I wrote the answer above. I will try to find it for you. Do you want me to email it to you or post it here?

Here is fine but I would like to Know what is defined as toxic. Like I said I think we have different ideas of what that means.

Just saw this. I found a Youtube video which might help you understand. It is by Peter Glimmick who wrote the second Master Cleanse Book. I am not promoting the Master Cleanse. There are many types of cleanses. And this man is also selling a book , but you can do the cleanse without the book, it can be read free online and without buying anything . However, I do understand way he describes toxins and stored toxins to be true.

Here is the Youtube video which describes the toxins in the body that cleanses help with. I am off here to get stuff done. See you around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZ6NbQfhDk
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

You mentioned "toxins produced by the digestion of proteins". So if we cut back on proteins, are we cutting back on "toxins produced by the digestions of proteins"?
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

You mentioned "toxins produced by the digestion of proteins". So if we cut back on proteins, are we cutting back on "toxins produced by the digestions of proteins"?

Yes! This!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    those who are looking at doing a cleanse should watch this. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17ZNZ5rRQA
  • TheDevastator
    Options

Most if not all food have some elements that are toxic. Spinach is known to have traces of lead, but I still eat it. I'm choosing foods that are less likely to have a lot of toxins.

Eating certain foods doesn't help release anything from fat cells. You usually lose weight on a cleanse if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, which help the liver function and lessen the incoming toxins from your diet. The liver can then focus on purifying the blood and the toxins that are released from the fat cells when you are losing weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I hope to find the answer to this on the three pages I haven't read yet. Would love to know what toxin is eliminated from the body as a result of a "cleanse" that is not otherwise eliminated.

I wrote the answer above. I will try to find it for you. Do you want me to email it to you or post it here?

Here is fine but I would like to Know what is defined as toxic. Like I said I think we have different ideas of what that means.

Just saw this. I found a Youtube video which might help you understand. It is by Peter Glimmick who wrote the second Master Cleanse Book. I am not promoting the Master Cleanse. There are many types of cleanses. And this man is also selling a book , but you can do the cleanse without the book, it can be read free online and without buying anything . However, I do understand way he describes toxins and stored toxins to be true.

Here is the Youtube video. I am off here to get stuff done. See you around.

Thank you.
    It's funny, he says twice that the liver eliminates these toxins on it own. He does say that if it get overwhelmed and can't process it all, it's stored in fat cells until it can get a chance to, then it will. If most people followed the advice of eating more veggies and whole food and drinking water, it would do the same thing.
    I didn't see that fat was toxic although he does say toxins are stored there.

I do disagree with him on the cause of people gaining weight when they come off of a strict calorie diet. I've been there, on a whole food diet.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

nice catch. Indeed the best cleanse is one without a lot of protein. I am a weightlifter so I tend to eat more than I should on cleanses but I do eventually feel better even with eating fish, chicken and elk.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Uric acid? Is that the toxin from protein we are talking about?
  • Sunka1
    Options

Thank you.
    It's funny, he says twice that the liver eliminates these toxins on it own. He does say that if it get overwhelmed and can't process it all, it's stored in fat cells until it can get a chance to, then it will. If most people followed the advice of eating more veggies and whole food and drinking water, it would do the same thing.

I do disagree with him on the cause of people gaining weight when they come off of a strict calorie diet. I've been there, on a whole food diet.

did you know that "eating more veggies and whole foods and water" is a cleanse. So what are you objecting to?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Thank you.

did you know that "eating more veggies and whole foods and water" is a cleanse. So what are you objecting to?

I'm not but people seemed to earlier on when I and others suggested it.

I do object to maple syrup cayenne pepper and whatever cleanses. Or water fasts. Or anything that involves strictly limiting calories and most foods for a period of time.

ETA - or eatin nothing but apples for a couple of days.
  • Sunka1
    Options

Thank you.

I'm not but people seemed to earlier on when I and others suggested it.

I do object to maple syrup cayenne pepper and whatever cleanses. Or water fasts. Or anything that involves strictly limiting calories and most foods for a period of time.

ETA - or eatin nothing but apples for a couple of days.

I can't object to sleep either. Later.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are great if your wallet is overstuffed. Beyond that, I highly recommend regular use of your liver and kidneys, they cleanse your body better than any food/drink/ 'magic' crap you could put in it.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Most if not all food have some elements that are toxic. Spinach is known to have traces of lead, but I still eat it. I'm choosing foods that are less likely to have a lot of toxins.

Eating certain foods doesn't help release anything from fat cells. You usually lose weight on a cleanse if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, which help the liver function and lessen the incoming toxins from your diet. The liver can then focus on purifying the blood and the toxins that are released from the fat cells when you are losing weight.

I guess I don't understand because your cleanse seems to consist of most of the foods I eat on a daily basis (except elk, I've never eaten it). So I guess the question is what are you detoxing from. You are eating plenty of foods that are known to be pretty high in toxins. How does this give your liver a "break?" What would be "off limits" to you?
  • TheDevastator
    Options

I guess I don't understand because your cleanse seems to consist of most of the foods I eat on a daily basis (except elk, I've never eaten it). So I guess the question is what are you detoxing from. You are eating plenty of foods that are known to be pretty high in toxins. How does this give your liver a "break?" What would be "off limits" to you?
    I'm hoping my liver will detox everything it can, nothing in particular. What foods are high in toxins that I've named? I'm guessing the fish and meat? The liver doesn't get a break really but I'm hoping to lessen the load. The foods that are off-limits are in the manual page 8. http://www.cleanprogram.com/files/clean-program-manual.pdf
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I'm hoping my liver will detox everything it can, nothing in particular. What foods are high in toxins that I've named? I'm guessing the fish and meat? The liver doesn't get a break really but I'm hoping to lessen the load. The foods that are off-limits are in the manual page 8. http://www.cleanprogram.com/files/clean-program-manual.pdf

So this is basically an elimination diet like the ones used by doctors to discover allergies or an intolerance. It doesn't really explain any kind of toxins other than that. I don't see how following an elimination diet if you don't have an allergy or intolerance would help anything. To each their own.

Oh yeah and the foods that have toxins, buckwheat, fish, some meats, some veggies (like you mentioned spinach but really a lot of them). I'm not saying that any of these are toxic but most food either contains or produces, as a byproduct of digestion, chemicals which are 'toxic' and must be filtered out by your liver.

I think the liver does a fine job and that it doesn't need a break but if you are doing a "cleanse" to give your liver a break, I cannot see really eating or drinking much of anything outside of water to do that. I can understand the idea of a "water fast" or fasting, I can even get with someone doing it for the purposes of a cleanse (again I don't think it is necessary but I can understand it) but I cannot see how simply eating some things but not others (when pretty much everything has or produces some kind of "toxin") does anything really at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: just eat a diet with a reasonable calorie target and include mainly nutrient dense foods. If you want to psychological benefit of 'kick starting' your diet, just eat whole foods - plenty of fruits and veggies, but also make sure you get enough fat and protein. You really do not have to mess around with detoxes or cleanses (which can be harmful, depending on which ones they are, and do not detox anything).
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Go get a colonoscopy. I guarantee you will get the cleanse of your life!!! Other than that - don't do a cleanse. they are not good for you.