cleanse

Options
1234568»

Replies

• _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    You really do not have to mess around with detoxes or cleanses (which can be harmful, depending on which ones they are, and do not detox anything).

Please provide proof of the cleanses which harm and why. And also of proof they do not detox from anything. We provided otherwise (how cleanses help) even posted a video. What you say is untrue. A cleanse done within a reasonable amount of time cannot harm you. If you do it for 100 days, yes it may, but for one to ten days. No way!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You really do not have to mess around with detoxes or cleanses (which can be harmful, depending on which ones they are, and do not detox anything).

Please provide proof of the cleanses which harm and why. And also of proof they do not detox from anything. We provided otherwise (how cleanses help) even posted a video. What you say is untrue. A cleanse done within a reasonable amount of time cannot harm you. If you do it for 100 days, yes it may, but for one to ten days. No way!

I am still waiting for your to provide proof that they do detox anything. Where exactly did I say that all cleanses are harmful? I said they may be harmful depending on which ones. Please re-read my statement.

ETA: this is going to be my last communication with you regarding my statement. I am not wasting my time on you. I stated my stance on this to the OP. It was not exactly inflammatory or 'out there'. Have a lovely day...good luck with your cleanse that you are starting tomorrow. I will be thinking of you while I eat my daily bowl of......
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/927327-cleanse-why-you-are-lucky-they-don-t-work

If it worked, it would likely be bad for you.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    I am still waiting for your to provide proof that they do detox anything. Where exactly did I say that all cleanses are harmful? I said they may be harmful depending on which ones. Please re-read my statement.

ETA: this is going to be my last communication with you regarding my statement. I am not wasting my time on you. I stated my stance on this to the OP. It was not exactly inflammatory or 'out there'. Have a lovely day...good luck with your cleanse that you are starting tomorrow. I will be thinking of you while I eat my daily bowl of......
    [/quote]

Got to love it. I provide proof of what it detoxes from (to include a video) and she doesn't even watch it, but says she is waiting for "proof". Can you say, "ice cream causes brain cells to freeze and die". I sure can give you proof of that one.

I suppose if I didn't have the answers, I'd bail too.

OP won't pay attention to you, you provided no proof. "Just words" are nothing of value.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

Here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/927327-cleanse-why-you-are-lucky-they-don-t-work

No one has ever died or been harmed as such from a cleanse in documented history that I have found.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Got to love it. I provide proof of what it detoxes from (to include a video) and she doesn't even watch it, but says she is waiting for "proof". Can you say, "ice cream causes brain cells to freeze and die". I sure can give you proof of that one.

ad hominem...again

A video is not 'proof' of anything.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    So this is basically an elimination diet like the ones used by doctors to discover allergies or an intolerance. It doesn't really explain any kind of toxins other than that. I don't see how following an elimination diet if you don't have an allergy or intolerance would help anything. To each their own.

Oh yeah and the foods that have toxins, buckwheat, fish, some meats, some veggies (like you mentioned spinach but really a lot of them). I'm not saying that any of these are toxic but most food either contains or produces, as a byproduct of digestion, chemicals which are 'toxic' and must be filtered out by your liver.

I think the liver does a fine job and that it doesn't need a break but if you are doing a "cleanse" to give your liver a break, I cannot see really eating or drinking much of anything outside of water to do that. I can understand the idea of a "water fast" or fasting, I can even get with someone doing it for the purposes of a cleanse (again I don't think it is necessary but I can understand it) but I cannot see how simply eating some things but not others (when pretty much everything has or produces some kind of "toxin") does anything really at all.
    The book explains more. The diet doesn't just get rid of allergens. It gets rid of most food made by factory farms, processed meats, low nutrition grains, seafood that is the most likely to have toxins, oils high in free radicals, foods that do damage to the liver or disrupt detoxification, most food that spikes blood sugar a lot, etc. There are reasons for removing all those foods.

It's the foods that are full of nutrients is what is really important and fruits and vegetables do that with lower toxins than most food. You also can't be concerned with every little toxin because you wouldn't eat anything. I think the most important ones are obviously the allergens. There's a reason people are allergic to them. Toxins like mold or irritants or just that it doesn't digest well.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

ad hominem...again

Hehe, gotcha. Remember, you weren't going to "speak to me about it". The video proved a lot, but you'll never be the wiser on that one. I'm off now to eat my ice cream and this is the last thing I'll say to you. And guess what? When I say something I actually follow through.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

ad hominem...again

Hehe, gotcha. Remember, you weren't going to "speak to me about it". The video proved a lot, but you'll never be the wiser on that one. I'm off now to eat my ice cream and this is the last thing I'll say to you. And guess what? When I say something I actually follow through.

What can I say...it is so enlightening 'talking' to you...you are very hard to resist.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

No one has ever died or been harmed as such from a cleanse in documented history that I have found.

First off, what I am saying is that if they worked biologially as stated in several arguments that they somehow increased how the liver cleared toxins, the resulting metabolites would be dangerous. If I take your statement as truth and agree that cleanses do no harm - then it is because I would be saying that they are no more effective that water in activing detoxification.

Now to the "documented history" of cleanses doing harm - i'll address that in two parts.

1) first the specific - colonic cleanses have been documented as being a risky procedure:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15588118

but, if you are specifically talking about the utility / risk profile of lemon or master cleanses - you are right - there is no article on pubmed outlining a specific death or even highlighting a risk of that type of cleanse in PubMed. Just like there is absolutely not one article on the efficacy, usefulness of these cleanses in PubMed. In fact, I failed to see a single article on a single component aspect of the base utility in the top 500 peer reviewed scientific articles. So if you are basing your recommendation of a cleanse on scientific documented history I would suggest that there is nothing there for or against that suggests they are efficacious of dangerous. However, you will find lots of articles on nutrient deficiency and the risks incurred due to short and middle term extreme restriction. PubMed is quirky like that, one needs to dig on specific things.

2) general statement on the priniciple of efficacy of treatments. Every single treatment, if it is efficacious has possible undesired side effects. If a treatment is known to be 100% safe then it is generally true that it is also 100% useless. Efficacy always creates risks.

ETA: typo
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    1) first the specific - colonic cleanses have been documented as being a risky procedure:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15588118

A lot of things can be risky when you have heart, liver or kidney problems according to the resource.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

OP won't pay attention to you, you provided no proof. "Just words" are nothing of value.

I watched the video. There was no "proof" in the video. If anything it backed up the claims that the body cleanses itself.
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The body is programmed to cleanse itself! It is an incredible machine when you take care of it properly. Eat clean (get off processed foods as much as possible!), drink a lot of water, sweat while you exercise (and shower within 30 minutes of exercising to remove all the toxins you will release through perspiration!) Eat CHIA seeds - a natural cleanser - great sprinkled on yogurt, salads etc....maybe you can spend the time while hubby is away researching natural clean eating and natural ways to cleanse your body without all the "latest craze cleanse" products out there - read Dr. Weil and Dr. Oz - both good reliable sources of info! My 2 cents!
    :flowerforyou:

Dr. Oz is a good, reliable source of information?

Please excuse me. I just threw up a little in my mouth.