DEEP THOUGHTS

Options

Replies

• whatshouldieat
    whatshouldieat Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If a tree fall's down in the woods and no one is around to hear it fall, does it still make noise? This has boggled my mind since I was a child.

Who is on a $10,000 dollar bill again?
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The answer is 42.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    "That means that our whole solar system...could be, like...one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being.

That means...-one tiny atom in my fingernail could be---Could be one little...tiny universe.

Could l buy some pot from you?"
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    “One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said. "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
    --Jack Handy
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    The speed of dark is exactly the same as the speed of light. Dark disappears as quickly as light appears.

Win

MY DEEP THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

Now, who can explain why my dog hates it when I blow in her face, but loves to stick her head out the window when we're in the car? I'm not the original author of that question, but I wonder about it.

Because your breath stinks?
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Speaking of light and dark, I bring you the "Darksucker Conspiracy."

http://www.winnski.com/bs/darksuck.html

JM
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    "That means that our whole solar system...could be, like...one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being.

That means...-one tiny atom in my fingernail could be---Could be one little...tiny universe.

Could l buy some pot from you?"

For sure, and knowing our luck we're one of the atoms in the wart on the nose of the giant being
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    CrazyTrackLad,

I adore your post about speed of dark.. Very interesting, great thinking.

Thank you! Feel free to add me, if you don't mind amusing me.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    "Children need encouragement. So if a kid gets an answer right, tell him it was a lucky guess. That way, he develops a good, lucky feeling."

-Jack Handy
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Deep. Far too deep for me. I'll be lurking.

@mere you bear a striking resemblance to katie holmes!!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Assuming that life has no inherent meaning or purpose, and that all meaning and purpose assigned to life is subjectively based, is not everything in life objectively meaningless and without purpose? What is the point of continuing to live, assuming that there is no continuation of our consciousness beyond its current state, and no inherent objective to accomplish within our lives.

Is the point to simply live without any defined meaning or purpose, and if so, why such a drive within the species to create subjective definitions to fill both voids with temporary and irrelevant values. Is it a necessity within our species to have meaning and purpose in our lives as a component of our means to survival?

Is the point to live life in service to a higher power? By this, a higher power could be anything from a worthy and charitable cause, to the subjective existence of any one of the thousands of fictional and made up gods humanity has created throughout its existence. Again, considering the objective fate of both humanity, the earth, and the universe itself, what does this matter but within a subjective standpoint.

Is the point to life to live within a moral code, upholding the fabric of the civilizations which our ancestors made so many sacrifices to create and maintain. Considering that morality, and the concepts of right and wrong are within themselves subjective creations subject to the diverse regions of the world in which they are created and applied, what is the point of upholding any moral code but that of one's personal obligation to oneself?
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options

what is the point of upholding any moral code but that of one's personal obligation to oneself?

Because others out there are trying to do the same thing and if we don't get along you won't be able to uphold your personal obligation to yourself
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If the universe is expanding, I've always wondered what is, like, two inches in front of it. What's two inches into the place where space HASN'T expanded to yet?

I love thinking about things like that.

As per the moral code thing - life is immutable. Everything changes, everything stays the same. Impermanence is the only constant. Do what you do, harm no one out of ill will or mistakes repeated.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    If the sun explodes and destroys Earth, will God cease to exist? Think about it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If the sun explodes and destroys Earth, will God cease to exist? Think about it.

That's the whole "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" query. (I.e - does god exist if those who think of him cease to think of him?) Fun stuff to think about.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    The speed of dark is exactly the same as the speed of light. Dark disappears as quickly as light appears.

Win

MY DEEP THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

Now, who can explain why my dog hates it when I blow in her face, but loves to stick her head out the window when we're in the car? I'm not the original author of that question, but I wonder about it.

Because your breath stinks?

My dog rolls in dead things. Postulate again.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

That's the whole "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" query. Fun stuff to think about.

If a MIME fell in a forest, would he/she make a sound? Do we need silencers to shoot a mime? (Credit: Stephen Wright)
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I never should've killed that man in Indiana. I think of it often.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

(I.e - does god exist if those who think of him cease to think of him?) Fun stuff to think about.

EXACTLY. This flummoxes me.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I try not to use my brain before noon .... i'll be back