DEEP THOUGHTS

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If a man speaks and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If a man speaks and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Yes!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    String theory? My cats might be able to help with that.

JM

Lol, that's not far from what String Theory works on, actually. The idea that the Universe is one big tangled ball of yarn, wrapped layers and layers over each other, but connected. (String theory has been used to attempt to explain quantum entanglement) Thus the idea of multiple universes could exist, and yanking on the "string" could move one universe near to or even over another.

At this point, String Theory is more METAphysics than quantum physics, but it's an interesting direction in theoretical explanations. We do not have the tools to test more than the very basic, barely-scratch-the-surface ideas of String Theory, so it's not something someone should put full faith into yet.

And there are plenty of other universal explanations in the works, some more able to be tested than others (and thus prove parts of, at least.) String theory remains one of the untested ones, because right now the theories are mostly cerebral. Finding physical ways to test it is mostly impossible.

Still, damn fun to think about.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    "Wonders of the Universe" and Morgan Freeman's "Through the Wormhole" are two of my all time fav shows...it is physically impossible for me to leave the couch when either come on (and bonus when like 5 episodes in a row are scheduled - its the only time laundry ever gets folded LOL)
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Where do all the single socks go?

To a sock hop. :drinker:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The speed of dark is exactly the same as the speed of light. Dark disappears as quickly as light appears.

Win

MY DEEP THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

Now, who can explain why my dog hates it when I blow in her face, but loves to stick her head out the window when we're in the car? I'm not the original author of that question, but I wonder about it.

bad breath? LOL sorry couldn't resist
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What's the speed of dark? We have a speed of light. And for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, there MUST be a speed of dark.

I also am convinced there is an edge to our universe. If it is continuously expanding, then it must be expanding into SOMETHING (emptiness). Therefore, the area it expands into meets the expanding universe, thus creating an edge that is continuously moving.

What are your deep thoughts?

You could say the speed of dark is equal to the speed of light. But, technically, that's not right.
    Darkness is defined as the absence of light. It really has no speed.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Also, my deep thoughts?

The Multi-verse.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    What's the speed of dark? We have a speed of light. And for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, there MUST be a speed of dark.

Think we're getting a couple different scientific theories/facts mixed up here.....
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options

JM

Lol, that's not far from what String Theory works on, actually. The idea that the Universe is one big tangled ball of yarn, wrapped layers and layers over each other, but connected. (String theory has been used to attempt to explain quantum entanglement) Thus the idea of multiple universes could exist, and yanking on the "string" could move one universe near to or even over another.

At this point, String Theory is more METAphysics than quantum physics, but it's an interesting direction in theoretical explanations. We do not have the tools to test more than the very basic, barely-scratch-the-surface ideas of String Theory, so it's not something someone should put full faith into yet.

And there are plenty of other universal explanations in the works, some more able to be tested than others (and thus prove parts of, at least.) String theory remains one of the untested ones, because right now the theories are mostly cerebral. Finding physical ways to test it is mostly impossible.

It's eureka then and the cat's are trying to tell us something. That God is playing cat's cradle with some other dudes/dudettes and we're just messed up in the twine !!! It is quite the yarn though !!
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You wanna go deep? Ask yourself, Who Am I?

(And if an answer comes, it's wrong).
    [/quote]

^^^ I had a very brilliant man ask me this once and the question still puzzles me!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Come on, you can't get much deeper than the Mariana Trench.
  • oex0duso
    oex0duso Posts: 27
    Options

JM

This reminds me of the show 'The Big Bang Theory'. ha
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    That was a great compilation album.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I also am convinced there is an edge to our universe. If it is continuously expanding, then it must be expanding into SOMETHING (emptiness). Therefore, the area it expands into meets the expanding universe, thus creating an edge that is continuously moving.

What are your deep thoughts?

right ive just asked someone much smarter than me and it's not expanding it's stretching.

second, black holes take stuff into them and come out somewhere else, when it bulges out the other side it apparently pops and that is what the big bang is (a theory not the only one)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    How many other worlds are there in existence, in this plane of dimension? And how many dimensions really exist? How many "me's" are there?

Is everything a dream, a could be, a what will or maybe should? And who's the dreamer?

String theory offers some cool ideas about this, all tied up in quantum physics stuff. I <3 that kind of thought train.

You're too cool!

And not only because I have a weird nerdy crush on Liara!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Where do all the single socks go?

I discovered the answer to that recently. The answer was "in my 6 year old daughter's school bag"

I have yet to discover why my 6 yr old was hoarding all the socks, in her school bag of all places.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If the sun explodes and destroys Earth, will God cease to exist? Think about it.

That's the whole "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" query. (I.e - does god exist if those who think of him cease to think of him?) Fun stuff to think about.

Try reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. In this book, the gods are real, and came to America when their followers migrated here. But they are disappearing as people stop performing the old traditions and ways. Good book!
  • grgnelson
    grgnelson Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you are in a spaceship going the speed of light and you turn on the headlights, does it really do any good?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Here's one.

Everyone knows that these two truths exist:
    1) If a buttered piece of toast is dropped, it will always land butter-side-down (due to Murphy's law)
    2) A cat, if dropped, will always land on its feet.

What would happen if you secured buttered toast to a cat's back and dropped it? Which law would prevail?

I propose we would've created some sort of hovering device.