DEEP THOUGHTS

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You're too cool!

And not only because I have a weird nerdy crush on Liara!

Sweet! Thank you! I totally crush on Liara too. :blushing:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you are in a spaceship going the speed of light and you turn on the headlights, does it really do any good?

There's a kids' book called "the time and space of uncle Albert" that asks this question, and answers it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Here's one.

Everyone knows that these two truths exist:
    1) If a buttered piece of toast is dropped, it will always land butter-side-down (due to Murphy's law)
    2) A cat, if dropped, will always land on its feet.

What would happen if you secured buttered toast to a cat's back and dropped it? Which law would prevail?

I propose we would've created some sort of hovering device.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Here's one.

1) If a buttered piece of toast is dropped, it will always land butter-side-down (due to Murphy's law)

What would happen if you secured buttered toast to a cat's back and dropped it? Which law would prevail?

I propose we would've created some sort of hovering device.

funny-cat-toast-infinite-energy.jpg
  • we797
    we797 Posts: 8
    Options
    And of course, there's the age old which came first the chicken or the egg?
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Allow me to go all nerdy on you =)
    What's the speed of dark? We have a speed of light. And for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, there MUST be a speed of dark.

There is no speed of dark because darkness has no moment at all. It is the absence of light. Darkness is the lack of light.
    I also am convinced there is an edge to our universe. If it is continuously expanding, then it must be expanding into SOMETHING (emptiness). Therefore, the area it expands into meets the expanding universe, thus creating an edge that is continuously moving.

I agree, but i believe that there are many universes expanding into each other. Like how our bodies are made up of millions of cells, I believe that the universe is a small part of something larger. So if we were to reach the edge and "cross over" we would enter another universe.

These are my thoughts.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Deep+Thoughts+logo.jpg

tumblr_m6jn9fhCmJ1qat8sbo1_500.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Actually "dark" is just the absence of light. So no speed. Since dark is well, nothing.

Yup! There's always nothing waiting under the light.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Assuming that life has no inherent meaning or purpose, and that all meaning and purpose assigned to life is subjectively based, is not everything in life objectively meaningless and without purpose? What is the point of continuing to live, assuming that there is no continuation of our consciousness beyond its current state, and no inherent objective to accomplish within our lives.

Is the point to simply live without any defined meaning or purpose, and if so, why such a drive within the species to create subjective definitions to fill both voids with temporary and irrelevant values. Is it a necessity within our species to have meaning and purpose in our lives as a component of our means to survival?

Is the point to live life in service to a higher power? By this, a higher power could be anything from a worthy and charitable cause, to the subjective existence of any one of the thousands of fictional and made up gods humanity has created throughout its existence. Again, considering the objective fate of both humanity, the earth, and the universe itself, what does this matter but within a subjective standpoint.

Is the point to life to live within a moral code, upholding the fabric of the civilizations which our ancestors made so many sacrifices to create and maintain. Considering that morality, and the concepts of right and wrong are within themselves subjective creations subject to the diverse regions of the world in which they are created and applied, what is the point of upholding any moral code but that of one's personal obligation to oneself?

Life has no purpose (as far as I can tell) except to generate more life. We come from a very very long line of winners: every single one of our ancestors, right back to the first self-replicating molecules 4 billion years ago or so, have managed to leave progeny behind. The drive to live and to procreate is very strong in every living thing today because it's what we all evolved to do.

Other than that, it is up to us to make sense of our lives, and to find our own purpose.

"Why are we here?" is the wrong question. We are here, so we should be asking "what do I do now?"
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I try not to use my brain before noon .... i'll be back

This!! Lmao!
  • BellaReady
    BellaReady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What's the speed of dark? We have a speed of light. And for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, there MUST be a speed of dark.

I also am convinced there is an edge to our universe. If it is continuously expanding, then it must be expanding into SOMETHING (emptiness). Therefore, the area it expands into meets the expanding universe, thus creating an edge that is continuously moving.

What are your deep thoughts?

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
    Terry Pratchett
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Here's one.

The reason toast always lands butter or jelly side down is because it doesn't have enough time to flip back over. If falling from a sufficient height it will land spread side up.

Cats land on their feet due to them twisting themselves during the fall. if a cat falls from a short distance they land on their back or side and get hurt.

So in the proposed experiment, the cat will land on its feet. The variable that needs to be in question is the height of the fall.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    As children, we do not fear failure much, but as we grow, why do we learn to fear failure so much that we'd rather fail to leave our niche than fail at something that is not in our niche.

Who defines normal? Why does almost everybody try to submerge the weird and wonderful parts of their personalities just to fit in with this definition of normal that was defined by someone who was boring but thought he/she was normal?

A definition of "normal" is actually nesscary to create a functioning society - and, in some ways - to define what a person needs to seek help for or not. If we don't create an agreed upon set of interactions, then anarchy rules - and that's not a good way to live.

Also, definitions of "normal" for personality and behaviors help a person realize whether or not their actions are interfering with living their life. Normal helps a person realize if they are conducting themselves in in a functioning, rational, and productive manner or not.

It's a personal pet peeve of mine when people say "There's no such thing as normal!" Maybe "normal" isn't the word, but "healthy/unhealthy" or "function vs dysfunctional." Also, too many people use the term "crazy" to mean "wild and whacky" when in truth, "crazy" is quite debilitating.

You didn't actually say that, so I wasn't trying to slam you! Just a thing of mine in general.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Why are you convinced there's an edge to the universe? Scientists have proven that what appears to be a solid object is actually made up of mostly space. So there's the appearance of solidity, not necessarily the actuality of it. A trick of the light. Material reality is relative, much like a lap only exists when one is sitting down.

You wanna go deep? Ask yourself, Who Am I?

(And if an answer comes, it's wrong).

If there is a beginning to the universe, there must be an end to it, and therefore where beginning meets end, there must be an edge -- if not literally, certainly figuratively.

But was there really a beginning to the Universe? The Big Bang is simply as far back in time as we can go - we don't know what there was before that. Maybe there is a cycle of Big Bangs followed by Big Crunches and then another Big Bang, ad infinituum?
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    what can go up a chimney down but can't go down a chimney up?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

But was there really a beginning to the Universe? The Big Bang is simply as far back in time as we can go - we don't know what there was before that. Maybe there is a cycle of Big Bangs followed by Big Crunches and then another Big Bang, ad infinituum?

It actually follows that there was something before our Big Bang. The Big Bang happened as a result of matter condensing and getting more and more dense until it exploded outward. Therefore, that matter that was pressed down DID exist in some form or another previously.
  • SirgS
    SirgS Posts: 21
    Options
    The speed of dark is exactly the same as the speed of light. Dark disappears as quickly as light appears.

Just want to throw this out there that this is somewhat not true. The speed of darkness isn't necessarily the speed of light.

Remember this - light is an energy (wave). Darkness is created when the energy runs out by being scattered and absorbed or by being absorbed into walls.

IE - Where does the light go when you turn off the switch. Great question right? The light is reflected and absorbed into the walls, carpet etc. These places where the energy is absorbed, it creates movement within the atoms that make up said wall. They bounce together absorbing the energy. That energy is then converted into a thermal energy thus the warming of walls.

Just my 2 cents.

You also run into the fun portion of how this expansion occurs. Is it linear expansion?! Is it based on an eclipse. Neil deGrasse Tyson is your best bet for a good answer :).

Also late to the party and if this was covered, sorry I was too lazy to read beyond the first page as a lot of people were in agreeance with the quoted post.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've always like the thought that while the brain is real, the MIND is a metaphor.

The mind, or a collection of thoughts, life experiences, moods, etc, all built on itself within a lifetime, doesn't have a physical body. It isn't tangible. Our minds are purely and solely what we THINK, which is ephemeral. Physical things can affect it, but what it is ITSELF is not able to be pinpointed.

It cannot be quantified.

BUT, we can "lose" our minds. How does one lose something that is intangible?

THIS IS WHY I LOSE FRIENDS.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Why are you convinced there's an edge to the universe? Scientists have proven that what appears to be a solid object is actually made up of mostly space. So there's the appearance of solidity, not necessarily the actuality of it. A trick of the light. Material reality is relative, much like a lap only exists when one is sitting down.

You wanna go deep? Ask yourself, Who Am I?

(And if an answer comes, it's wrong).

If there is a beginning to the universe, there must be an end to it, and therefore where beginning meets end, there must be an edge -- if not literally, certainly figuratively.

Maybe the big bang was just a seed in the void, and the seed has has to come to life and is growing, we are part of that plant. Maybe there are other seeds out there hmmmmm. Too much brain oxygen after working out hahaha
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    If the sun explodes and destroys Earth, will God cease to exist? Think about it.

That's the whole "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" query. (I.e - does god exist if those who think of him cease to think of him?) Fun stuff to think about.

Try reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. In this book, the gods are real, and came to America when their followers migrated here. But they are disappearing as people stop performing the old traditions and ways. Good book!

That is my favorite book. :heart: