things that make you laugh at the gym...

Options

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It occurs to me that I must provide a lot of entertainment to the other people in my gym. Hey, I'm here to help!

Dropped my iPod/towel/workout log and shot it off the back of the treadmill? Check.
    Occasional lip-synching on the treadmill? Check.
    Laughing at my own butt-print on the weight bench? Check. (Yes, I wipe it off too!)
    Worked out in my street shoes because I forgot my sneakers? Check.
    Gone to the gym just to use the showers? Yep, done that one too. (Hey, four people and one bathroom in my house. Don't judge.)
    I have even gone to the gym still wearing makeup and worked out without washing it off. The endless hilarity!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just so everyone is clear, I personally don't mind when/if strangers judge me at the gym (or really anywhere else in public).

There seemed to be some confusion about this point earlier in the thread.

Okay, now carry on.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was probably one of those people getting laughed at today. I wanted to run and realized after I started that I had lost more inches than I thought and my pants kept falling down. I wasn't going to end my run because of it so I just kept hiking them up during my run...
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I was probably one of those people getting laughed at today. I wanted to run and realized after I started that I had lost more inches than I thought and my pants kept falling down. I wasn't going to end my run because of it so I just kept hiking them up during my run...

Ooh, yeah, done that one too. Also worn my shorts inside-out, and my shirt both inside-out and backwards once. After that is when I started having my coffee before I left for the gym...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Ooh, yeah, done that one too. Also worn my shorts inside-out, and my shirt both inside-out and backwards once. After that is when I started having my coffee before I left for the gym...

Ha, that has happened to me (the pants falling down thing). I don't mind being a source of amusement to someone at the gym, actually. Working out is only slightly less ridiculous than sex. I am sure we all look and sound silly at the gym sometimes.
  • vinchass9
    vinchass9 Posts: 36
    Options
    I laugh at this guy who's been coming to the gym for 4 years and hasn't made much progress at all. Sure he's stronger and lifts decently, but he looks more or less the same. All those countless hours spent at the gym sweating, grinding, punishing yourself and for what? You are a fool sir, a desperate fool with no salvation in sight. That man, is me.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ive gone to the gym with a book intending to ride very slowly on a stationary bike....thats my "me" time away from my kids. I love to read, sometime I NEED to get outof the house. Its either read on the bike, or read sitting in my car, lol. I have kids.... 5, 4, 3, and 2 so reading at home uninterrupted is NOT an option. At least its a little movement. And I dont count it towards exercise, just quiet time.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the women in full makeup/hair done may be coming straight from work, are on their lunch break, etc.... No need to judge. I really don't think many people would actually spend time getting ready to go to the gym. I see a big difference in how women look at the gym going at 6:00 am and 6:00 pm- a lot more "done up" women in the evening.

If I lose enough weight to be comfortable wearing cute outfits to the gym, you better believe I will be :)

Yes, what she said
  • gordismami
    Options
    My mom. She stays in the back corner doing class and I am always in the front. Every time we start moving our bottoms and shaking it, she cracks up and when she does that I automatically start laughing and lose my concentration lol
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The girls who show up in their velour track suits or their super short/tight shorts with their makeup all done and their hair down/teased. I'm just like really?? You look so ridiculous!! I can't help but laugh. Actually, not too long back, there was a girl wearing a short/tight leopard print skirt on the eliptical!! Can we say desperate?!

I think those girls look hot.

Hearing women complain about other women at the gym amuses me.

Never once have I heard a guy give two poops about what another guy is wearing at the gym.

I think it's you with the insecurities.

:flowerforyou:

No. It bothers me too, but not becuase I am insecure. They only bother me in the locker room when I have to pee. They stand and talk in front of the door to the bathroom and then stand at the sinks doing their hair and makeup or taking pictures. If they got out of the way, I don't think I would notice them. I don't see they in the GYM area at all though, so I am really not sure what they do with their time, if they ever leave the locker room.

I'm highly doubting that they're going to the gym just to do their hair and make up.

Even if they are . . . . who cares?

Workout. Take a shower, Get dressed and get on with your day.

This whole thing just comes off as really petty to me.

Agreed. It's so ridiculous to hear people bit** and complain about who wore what, and how much makeup, and so forth. People have different tastes and preferences and that's okay. If you're going there to workout, why does it matter to you what color shirt or how much makeup a girl wore while running on a treadmill at your gym, it's her skin after all haha. Like someone said earlier, you don't really know their situation, many women get a workout in during their lunch hour/ end of work day.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've probably made quite a few people laugh at the gym. So far I have...

Tripped on the treadmill
    Dropped my water bottle/ towel/ mp3 player
    Nearly fallen off the elliptical
    Seriously underperformed on pretty much everything
    Only done 10-20 minutes on the treadmill (was either warming up or had to hit the ladies' room)
    Head banged/ lip synched/ played air guitar along with the music
    Gotten a sugary beverage immediately after a workout (have long since stopped that)
    Worn make-up (was running errands beforehand)
    Sworn vehemently/ cheered enthusiastically at whatever I may have been watching on the television
    Farted (who hasn't?)

That all being said, I definitely snorted today when I walked into the locker room and saw a young woman who appeared to be taking a nap. She was in fact simply laying on the bench, taking up about a quarter of the total space available, playing games on her phone. Waiting for somebody or not, all I could think was "You are a literal waste of space".
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Monday, I took a plate off the barbell, put it down, and then stood up directly into the barbell. Smashed it with my shoulder and knocked it right onto the floor.

I'm sure everyone would have laughed if there were anyone else there. I love working out at an empty apartment complex gym ;)
  • kaitgettingfit
    Options
    I saw a guy wearing a plaid shirt and overalls on the rowing machine.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Really? At the gym? ROTFL! Hilarious!
    The girl on booty shorts...and ugg boots.
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    More like makes me wonder: older gentleman I see every time at gym. late 60s or 70s, tall, always doing weights. And always looks like he is laughing at something. Last week he was near me while I worked out and I ended up concerned that the laughter was at ME and was I doing something wrong. But I was afraid to ask cause maybe he's just some crazy laughing guy.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Me today at Crossfit. Put weights on the barbell but forgot to collar them - amid loud yelling I luckily realised before injuring my spotters - doh!
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    OMG ROTFL! Hilarious! This is totally me - so funny!
    I hate when I'm finishing a long run on the treadmill, sweating my *kitten* off and dying inside. Hot woman gets on the treadmill next to me and I have to turn into an elite, super-fit marathoner! When actually my inner run monologue is this,

10 minutes in - Wow, I feel good, I love to run!!
    20 minutes in - damn, only 20 minutes?? WTF is this song playing on my phone?
    21 minutes in - I f***ing hate this song!!!
    30 minutes in - halfway there, damn only half way? I hate running! I want to go home, order a pizza and get fat again!
    40 minutes in - you can do it, just stop *****ing and keep going
    41 minutes in - wtf? This song is playing again??
    50 minutes in - 10 minutes left, almost done, I am sooooo not a runner, this sucks!
    55 minutes in - Hot woman gets on the treadmill next to mine, I move my speed up to a speed I can barely run at without falling off the treadmill
    60 minutes - done, she smiles, I smile back like I love to run!!

:laugh:
    [/quote]
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I saw a few weeks ago is this woman, maybe in her 20's, on the treadmill. She was probably 80+ pounds overweight by my guess and huffing and puffing quite a bit, going too hard. I'm guessing she was just starting to workout. Well, she got her feet tangled up and went down hard, which wasn't funny. I happened to be walking down the isle when it happened and being the hopeless white knight I am I walked over to help her up and make sure she's OK. She eneded up being OK but said she was going to leave because she was too embarrassed to get back on. So, I told her that wasn't a good reason and that I would hop on the treadmill next to her ( I was looking for an open one anyway) for moral support. She took up the offer and got back on and finished her routine (slower though) and she's now I see here there most nights back at it. I didn't get her name, didn't talk to her at all after she got back on the treamill though.

The funny part is when I got home and told my wife. Luckily my wife knows me and knows that I don't have the first clue about picking up women. My wife says, "Ya know, she probably thought you were trying to pick her up". I'm so clueless that it never dawned on my that I probably looked like a creeper. :grumble:

I think that was really nice of you! If that happened to me, I'd appreciate someone checking to make sure I was okay and encouraging me to keep going.

Part of it is that I've been where she was at that moment. I remember being new at the gym and being nervous and awkward so I felt bad for her. Granted, I never took an epic dive on the treadmill but still I saw a bit of me in her situation.

I think this is awesome too. Just think, if you had not intervened she might have not come back at all. Because of your gesture of kindness I am sure it eased her embarrassment and allowed her to feel good about coming back.

Yeah, being a newbie ,and knowing that feel , I really didn't want someone to quit working on a goal because of something like that. I've been there and would have been cool for someone say, "good job, get back at it:".

Not to mention, I have a wife and if it was my wife the took a dive on the treadmill I would hope someone would make sure she's OK.

YOu are most awesome!
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Today at the gym one of their personal trainers came and asked how much longer I would be at the bench press (also asked the guy on the other rack). He graciously told her she could go ahead and use it. She then took the olympic bar over to the middle of the room, and had her client kneel on the floor and grab one end of the bar, and with the other end on the floor do a sort of overhead press with it. I am not quite sure what this exercise is, but I would imagine it would be much easier with a dumbell.
    mike
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Watching a guy trying to get the attention of a girl as he flexed and walked into a hanging tricep bar......apparently i didn't use my inside voice when I said smooth...who knew people paid attention when I talked lol