things that make you laugh at the gym...

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I saw a few weeks ago is this woman, maybe in her 20's, on the treadmill. She was probably 80+ pounds overweight by my guess and huffing and puffing quite a bit, going too hard. I'm guessing she was just starting to workout. Well, she got her feet tangled up and went down hard, which wasn't funny. I happened to be walking down the isle when it happened and being the hopeless white knight I am I walked over to help her up and make sure she's OK. She eneded up being OK but said she was going to leave because she was too embarrassed to get back on. So, I told her that wasn't a good reason and that I would hop on the treadmill next to her ( I was looking for an open one anyway) for moral support. She took up the offer and got back on and finished her routine (slower though) and she's now I see here there most nights back at it. I didn't get her name, didn't talk to her at all after she got back on the treamill though.

The funny part is when I got home and told my wife. Luckily my wife knows me and knows that I don't have the first clue about picking up women. My wife says, "Ya know, she probably thought you were trying to pick her up". I'm so clueless that it never dawned on my that I probably looked like a creeper. :grumble:

I think that was really nice of you! If that happened to me, I'd appreciate someone checking to make sure I was okay and encouraging me to keep going.

Part of it is that I've been where she was at that moment. I remember being new at the gym and being nervous and awkward so I felt bad for her. Granted, I never took an epic dive on the treadmill but still I saw a bit of me in her situation.
  • LoonyLovegood8
    Options
    The other week a woman walked in with a crop top on, showing her very slim stomach area (I would wear crop tops too if I had her figure gosh) but we're not the type of gym where girls wear little clothing, only a few wear shorts. So everyone in the gym just looked at her when she walked out of the changing rooms.

I'm probably what people laugh at in the gym because I'm constantly opening my water and it exploding all over me...
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I hate threads like this. I dont notice other people at the gym and I pray they aren't noticing me either. Leave me alone and let me do my thing.
    Yup.

Makes me wonder what all these posters are doing at the gym. Seems like most of them just look at other people instead of actually working out...

#irony

tumblr_mg32kbQynv1ruzh6po1_500.gif
    Do what you want at the gym. It's your time, not mine.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    I hate threads like this. I dont notice other people at the gym and I pray they aren't noticing me either. Leave me alone and let me do my thing.
    Yup.

Makes me wonder what all these posters are doing at the gym. Seems like most of them just look at other people instead of actually working out...

I like to people watch in between sets. You'll live.
    You take that long between sets? Better lie down, your HR might go up otherwise.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I saw a few weeks ago is this woman, maybe in her 20's, on the treadmill. She was probably 80+ pounds overweight by my guess and huffing and puffing quite a bit, going too hard. I'm guessing she was just starting to workout. Well, she got her feet tangled up and went down hard, which wasn't funny. I happened to be walking down the isle when it happened and being the hopeless white knight I am I walked over to help her up and make sure she's OK. She eneded up being OK but said she was going to leave because she was too embarrassed to get back on. So, I told her that wasn't a good reason and that I would hop on the treadmill next to her ( I was looking for an open one anyway) for moral support. She took up the offer and got back on and finished her routine (slower though) and she's now I see here there most nights back at it. I didn't get her name, didn't talk to her at all after she got back on the treamill though.

The funny part is when I got home and told my wife. Luckily my wife knows me and knows that I don't have the first clue about picking up women. My wife says, "Ya know, she probably thought you were trying to pick her up". I'm so clueless that it never dawned on my that I probably looked like a creeper. :grumble:

I think that was really nice of you! If that happened to me, I'd appreciate someone checking to make sure I was okay and encouraging me to keep going.

Part of it is that I've been where she was at that moment. I remember being new at the gym and being nervous and awkward so I felt bad for her. Granted, I never took an epic dive on the treadmill but still I saw a bit of me in her situation.

I think this is awesome too. Just think, if you had not intervened she might have not come back at all. Because of your gesture of kindness I am sure it eased her embarrassment and allowed her to feel good about coming back.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As for me, the only person I laugh at in the gym is ME. lol. Like earlier when I was doing aquafit and about fell over backwards off my noodle doing jumping jacks in the water.... It was quite hilarious. lol....
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Yup.

You take that long between sets? Better lie down, your HR might go up otherwise.

If you are lifting heavy you should take 2-3 minutes between sets.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    Yup.

If you are lifting heavy you should take 2-3 minutes between sets.
    Yes, and I doubt she lifts heavy.

Hell I take 90 seconds between sets and I'm busy doing dynamic stretches, not staring around looking for freaks. Okay, I am looking for hot chicks in tight outfits. But I promise I only leer until the cops come.
  • liftingbro
    Options

I think this is awesome too. Just think, if you had not intervened she might have not come back at all. Because of your gesture of kindness I am sure it eased her embarrassment and allowed her to feel good about coming back.

Yeah, being a newbie ,and knowing that feel , I really didn't want someone to quit working on a goal because of something like that. I've been there and would have been cool for someone say, "good job, get back at it:".

Not to mention, I have a wife and if it was my wife the took a dive on the treadmill I would hope someone would make sure she's OK.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The 60-ish weight lifter guy who still wears his Joey Buttafuoco pants.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    The 60-ish weight lifter guy who still wears his Joey Buttafuico pants.

Wut? U no like mooseknuckles?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... why buy expensive workout clothes (like velour) when you are going to sweat in them and then they will forever stink and be thrown away in a year-- waste of money...

Why will they forever stink. Surely they will be put in the washing machine immediately after the workout??
  • healthycrone
    healthycrone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Guys who think they're so buff when they drop or slam the weights down. It only shows that they can't control the weight and should be lifting less!!!

And I always stretch before and after lifting - gives your muscle nice tone and helps aging joints....
  • Dolly1209
    Dolly1209 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Men that make sex noises when liftin weights, or bark/growl like dogs!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The skinny kid who walks in wearing jeans and a coat, immediately picks up a couple of 10 or 15 lb dumbbells and does a variety of raises with little to no exertion, then does some pushups, then walks out.

That would be to have that 'look' when he's on his way out to impress. Notice after you lift for a small time that you look more buff for a while? Well that's what he was doing.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at the gym I go to that does ninja poses and roundhouse kicks after EVERY SET. It would be different if they were done with some skill, but you can tell the guy took no martial arts classes ever, he just watched the latest Jackie Chan movie and thought he could emulate.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Guys who think they're so buff when they drop or slam the weights down. It only shows that they can't control the weight and should be lifting less!!!

And I always stretch before and after lifting - gives your muscle nice tone and helps aging joints....
    Actually, for some lifts, dropping the weight is better for preventing injury than setting them down gently. Now, that doesn't mean some don't do it just to get attention but it really is better to drop weights sometimes than to set them down.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    At the 2 person stall at the Y the other day I was anxiously waiting for one to be empty. I was dancing when I heard the flush, and excitedly went in as it became available, not really paying attention to who came out. When I heard the outer bathroom door close with no hand washing, i thought to myself YUCK. I looked for seat covers but realized the seat was UP. SO was it a man who used the bathroom and didn't wash his hands??? But why was he in the ladies room? OR was it....
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Not always the case,could be dropping the weight to reload thus working certain muscles harder depending on the excerise
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    There is a gal at my gym who has a cupcake tattooed on the back of each thigh. She usually wears short shorts and picks an elliptical at the front of the gym so I can always see those cupcakes move. It always cheers me up.