things that make you laugh at the gym...

Options

Replies

• deadbambi
    deadbambi Posts: 368
    Options
    I don't like to judge people at the gym, because at least they're there working out right?
    However, I do get a laugh at some of the un-coordination of people in my Zumba class.
    Or at myself when My knees go weak on the Elliptical and I turn to jello and panic about falling to my fatality for a brief moment ~*
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people at the gym, because at least they're there working out right?
    However, I do get a laugh at some of the un-coordination of people in my Zumba class.
    Or at myself when My knees go weak on the Elliptical and I turn to jello and panic about falling to my fatality for a brief moment ~*

Other than being a guy, the other reason I wouldn't ever go to a zumba class is I'm built like and Ox. Not only would I look really stupid trying to do the stuff, I'd probably hurt myself.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I always love this little senior lady who is wearing slacks, a nice sweater set, and her purse on the Elliptical. There's also a woman who wears high heel clogs on the treadmill and she is fantastic.

Also, I've probably given a few people a good laugh because I've fallen off the treadmill more times than I care to admit. Balance is not my strong suit.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    One time I was on the treadmill, listening to my ipod and watching tv (gotta keep from getting bored), just doing my thing. The guy on the treadmill next to me had his bright white towel hanging on the rail while he's running. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the towel fall onto the treadmill and shoot at lightning speed into the wall behind us. Made me laugh so hard I had to pause the machine. He did too.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I saw two young woman at the gym holding little 2-3 pound dumbbells and waving them around with no particular form while they chatted. I wanted to ask where they got their routine from and which muscles were they were working. It seriously made no sense.
    Yea right, and I laugh at native English speakers who can't spell 'women', I want to ask them where they got their education from and which part of their brain are they using.
    Seriously people, stick to your own routine rather than judging others.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Making noise while lifting (ie. growling, barking, etc...) causes an adrenaline spike and gives you the boost of energy to lift more, that's a scientific fact, jack.

Dropping weights is the safest way to do some exercises.

If you believe different then you are ignorant and need to learn more about fitness and working out.

I can't stand the attention *kitten* either; letting your breasts bounce around, wearing inappropriate clothing, doing little to no work, those things irritate me more than they should. Guess I'm old fashioned but I would rather see a beautiful woman fully clothed working to better herself than some over-sexed moron trying to get attention.

sue me.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    One time I was on the treadmill, listening to my ipod and watching tv (gotta keep from getting bored), just doing my thing. The guy on the treadmill next to me had his bright white towel hanging on the rail while he's running. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the towel fall onto the treadmill and shoot at lightning speed into the wall behind us. Made me laugh so hard I had to pause the machine. He did too.

That happened to me once--I dropped my towel on the treadmill and away it went :) I don't think there were any witnesses, but it was hilarious...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the attention *kitten* either; letting your breasts bounce around, wearing inappropriate clothing, doing little to no work, those things irritate me more than they should. Guess I'm old fashioned but I would rather see a beautiful woman fully clothed working to better herself than some over-sexed moron trying to get attention.

sue me.

I agree, I think all those attention *kitten* should wear attention-defying burqas to the gym.
  • sourbonk
    sourbonk Posts: 6
    Options
    Ok, I agree, when they come in wearing a skirt, it can be funny. But I have to stand up for my mom because that is exactly what she does. (Only its not leopard print.) She is a mortitican and her job requires a dress. And since people don't die from 9-5, her hours are never set. Sometimes, she literally has 30 mintues to run to Curves and get her workout in and she doesn't have time to change. But I would rather see her there in her dress, then her not exercising at all. I'm not sure what she started at, but I think it was close to like 280 pounds. She is now down to 212. If that means working out in a dress, good for her.

Also, I try to always walk on my 15 minute breaks. I don't always wear a dress, but when I do, I get made fun of for being in a dress and dirty tennis shoes. But I feel like I look less ridiculous that way vs. how I looked 70+ pounds ago.

My funniest story is a lady that makes funny faces while doing Zumba. She always cracks me up!
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seriously people, stick to your own routine rather than judging others.

THIS

I left a gym because an older gentleman who was a long time regular couldn't get it through his head that I was doing a HIT workout and kept asking me why I was "cheating myself" every time he saw me in the gym. They lost a lot of people because of him, he didn't understand "I don't want your help, please go away", which was as forceful as I was willing to get with a 75 year old. What worked for you may not work for someone else, leave people alone unless they ask for help with their workout plan.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    People who go to the gym to watch ESPN and don't even work out!
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hi

ok so im asthmatic and very overweight and therefore very unfit, so i agree that you shouldn't judge people and good on them for even going to the gym. i get pretty self-conscious until i start, so I always use the machines at the back and am still too intimidated to use the free-weights unless im with my other half, but i find people-watching helps me actually finish my work out. when im struggling towards the end, watching the older ladies or the other non-athletic people who've been working out longer than me and still going.....it inspires me to keep going for a bit longer, to try a bit harder. and sometimes the sights and sounds just distract me so i forget the pain lol

i do have to say, in regard to the 'attention seekers', they only annoy me when they block machines and weights while not actually using them. My gym is really small for the number of people who use it, a dozen cardio machines at most, so when a group of four young women (not being ageist, im only 22, but it normally is girls in their 20s) come in wearing tiny shorts or barely more than underwear up top and proceed to stroll at less than 1mph having a natter with each other for an hour, taking up all the treadmills so everyone who actually wants to work out has to wait, it really annoys me. Its the same with the weight machines, sitting on one for half an hour doing 1 lift every 3 minutes. I dont care what you wear or what your routine is, but please dont be selfish when you can see other people are waiting.

that said.......i did have to laugh when i saw a woman come in and start using a treadmill in spandex shorts and (i swear im not exaggerating) 6" platform stilettos! two minutes in, she stacked it, luckily didnt hurt anything but her pride, tottering off bright red. next time i saw her she was wearing sweats and trainers.....much safer =]
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I go to a women only gym. When the occasional male shows up to do maintenance or whatever, we all notice, he looks so out of place. Our reaction makes me smile.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Seeing this dainty little female doing crunches on an exercise ball and letting out a fart that sounded like a watermelon being dropped on concrete from a 2 story window.

I am SURE that is going to be ME one day!! It doesn't matter what I eat or when I eat or how long I wait to exercise AFTER I eat.
    :noway: BEANO is WORTHLESS!! Except that it does kind of kill the Smell!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I saw a few weeks ago is this woman, maybe in her 20's, on the treadmill. She was probably 80+ pounds overweight by my guess and huffing and puffing quite a bit, going too hard. I'm guessing she was just starting to workout. Well, she got her feet tangled up and went down hard, which wasn't funny. I happened to be walking down the isle when it happened and being the hopeless white knight I am I walked over to help her up and make sure she's OK. She eneded up being OK but said she was going to leave because she was too embarrassed to get back on. So, I told her that wasn't a good reason and that I would hop on the treadmill next to her ( I was looking for an open one anyway) for moral support. She took up the offer and got back on and finished her routine (slower though) and she's now I see here there most nights back at it. I didn't get her name, didn't talk to her at all after she got back on the treamill though.

The funny part is when I got home and told my wife. Luckily my wife knows me and knows that I don't have the first clue about picking up women. My wife says, "Ya know, she probably thought you were trying to pick her up". I'm so clueless that it never dawned on my that I probably looked like a creeper. :grumble:

This is awesome!
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    the white kids that wear do rags in the gym
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    There's this little old lady that comes to all the toning and ab classes at my gym. She must be in her 60s but she is always getting it. She could probably kick my *kitten*. She is always so enthuastic and always smiling. When I stand behind her in class, I can see her face in the mirror and I have to fight from laughing everytime. It's gotten so that I look forward to seeing her in class because she always makes everyone around her so happy and makes us all try harder.

Yeah for her!!!!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The crazy sexual noises some ppl make makes me lol hard. What can I say, I'm mature like that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In to catch up later.

My gym is in my basement, so the only things I see there that make me laugh are the things I'm doing. Not quite the same.

ETA: Oh, I thought of something. I seem to think that I'm coordinated enough to remove a shirt while walking on the treadmill...and while I haven't actually fallen yet, I've come very close many times.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The lady at the gym, who yeah, may be good looking enough, but every single workout she does consists of her bending alllllll the way over in her very very very short shorts. I could see past this part, but everytime she does it she is blocking off half of the dumbbells that everyone uses, and not using the entirely wide open spaces behind her and all around her. I just laugh in my head. I try and look and see if I see guys giving her the attention that she is seeking. While the view may be nice, Im there to pump and get out, not oggle women.

Edited to add; SHE DOESNT EVEN USE THE DUMBBELLS EITHER!