How margarine is made.

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Honestly I really could give a **** about trans fats or whatever. What concerns me most are the ingredients. If I can't pronounce it, then I don't want to eat it.

COUNTRY CROCK INGREDIENTS: , Vegetable Oil Blend (, LIQUID SOYBEAN OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL) , WATER, WHEY, MILK, SALT, VEGETABLE MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA, CITRIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A (PALMITATE), BETA CAROTENE, (FOR COLOR)

BUTTER INGREDIENTS: Sweet Cream, Salt.

BTW - interesting website - tells you what's really in your food and give it a grade. Here's Country Crock's grade (big fat F):

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Milk-and-milk-products/Country-Crock-Spreadable-Margarine--oz/5929

JMO - enjoy your butter flavored chemicals, I'll stick with the real stuff.

I guess I am in trouble - I can pronounce the ingredients in both country crock and butter, and I know what they are...
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Food police.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Honestly I really could give a **** about trans fats or whatever. What concerns me most are the ingredients. If I can't pronounce it, then I don't want to eat it.

COUNTRY CROCK INGREDIENTS: , Vegetable Oil Blend (, LIQUID SOYBEAN OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL) , WATER, WHEY, MILK, SALT, VEGETABLE MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA, CITRIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A (PALMITATE), BETA CAROTENE, (FOR COLOR)

BUTTER INGREDIENTS: Sweet Cream, Salt.

BTW - interesting website - tells you what's really in your food and give it a grade. Here's Country Crock's grade (big fat F):

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Milk-and-milk-products/Country-Crock-Spreadable-Margarine--oz/5929

JMO - enjoy your butter flavored chemicals, I'll stick with the real stuff.

Again, those are not the ingredients of Country Crock.

They haven't used hydrogenated oils for a while now. That's a rather old ingredient list.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are things to be afraid of... like oranges.

If an orange had a real composition label, it would say this...

Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

EVERYTHING IS COMPOSED OF CHEMICALS.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There are things to be afraid of... like oranges.

If an orange had a real composition label, it would say this...

Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

EVERYTHING IS COMPOSED OF CHEMICALS.

I can't pronounce all of those and don't know what all of those are. I guess I can eat margarine, but not an orange. Sad panda..I really don't like the taste of margarine, but I do like oranges....
  • cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    As the OP and a biology major with a concentration in chemistry, I can tell you that some of you are truly mislead.

And for those that argue butter is processed, so is lard...it must be rendered. We are talking about unnatural processing.

Just because the mayo clinic has their own studies, do you realize who paid for these studies to be done? They want you to believe it is better because they are pushing that product. Look at the history of changes in food products. The new and better product always is being pushed for the favor of the industry, not necessarily health.

Before there were spreads and vegetables oil and people just used butter and lard there was less heart disease, less autism, less of all the ailments people suffer from today.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    As the OP and a biology major with a concentration in chemistry, I can tell you that some of you are truly mislead.

And for those that argue butter is processed, so is lard...it must be rendered. We are talking about unnatural processing.

Just because the mayo clinic has their own studies, do you realize who paid for these studies to be done? They want you to believe it is better because they are pushing that product. Look at the history of changes in food products. The new and better product always is being pushed for the favor of the industry, not necessarily health.

Before there were spreads and vegetables oil and people just used butter and lard there was less heart disease, less autism, less of all the ailments people suffer from today.

Oh crap. I guess if you're a biology major we better listen to you, despite the misspellings and invalid conclusions.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

blanket generalizations without proof are blanket generalizations.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    trans fat is bad, causes reactive oxygen species, not healthy at all.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/0/6/7/0/314651-307602/475114396506840395866586960268o.jpg?a=82

Eat whole unprocessed foods. This other stuff is not healthy or better for you.

Butter is processed, so that is out too :/

Use ghee.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Oh crap. I guess if you're a biology major we better listen to you, despite the misspellings and invalid conclusions.

Haha! :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

Natural doesn't always equal healthy either.

not true. margarine is made with trans fats, which are dangerous even in small amounts. (hydrogenated vegetable oils)

steer clear in every which way you can.

Not all margarines contain hydrogenated oils.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    Well I'm sure I understand chemical processes a little more than the average person...but there is no use in arguing with close minded people who refuse to look at both sides of the argument.

I too use to think margarine was safe and heart healthy...it was in a text book...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well I'm sure I understand chemical processes a little more than the average person...but there is no use in arguing with close minded people who refuse to look at both sides of the argument.

I too use to think margarine was safe and heart healthy...it was in a text book...

Your mistake is assuming that everyone else is an average person! Turns out that no one is actually an average person. There are people in this thread who understand a great deal more about chemistry, biochemistry, biology, engineering, and nutrition than you. Don't assume that because you're a bio major you just automatically know more than everyone else.

Also, I'm a bio major graduating in a couple of months. I don't remember learning much ab out industrial chemical processing in any of my classes.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

and it's been 20 years since studies showed that margarine was worse than butter... but some people are a little slow on the uptake. that's ok though... hopefully they'll get there someday.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    and it's been 20 years since studies showed that margarine was worse than butter... but some people are a little slow on the uptake. that's ok though... hopefully they'll get there someday.

Do you consider Country Crock to be margarine?
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm butter.
  • cindaroses
    Options

Your mistake is assuming that everyone else is an average person! Turns out that no one is actually an average person. There are people in this thread who understand a great deal more about chemistry, biochemistry, biology, engineering, and nutrition than you. Don't assume that because you're a bio major you just automatically know more than everyone else.

Also, I'm a bio major graduating in a couple of months. I don't remember learning much ab out industrial chemical processing in any of my classes.

Well we didn't have the same organic chemistry professor who loved to teach about industrial processing. And I never said I know more than everyone else....don't assume and read into what I said.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Do you consider Country Crock to be margarine?

you missed neanderthin's post about palm oil having trans fat i see...
    Yes, it's the palm oil and the emulsifier that mimic the viscosity of butter, but I'm sure the palm oils are refined to remove color and taste, so basically stripped of the natural health benefits of palm oil. Regardless, butter is the better product, unless a person still believes that saturated fats are somehow deleterious to our health. BTW, canola oil contains trans fats from the deodorizing process of refining, soy as well and that could be the reason the label reads 0 trans fats instead of no trans fats.........sneaky smug scientific *kitten*.wink

move on. :)