How margarine is made.

Options

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I had both butter and margarine out on the counter. Stripes (our cat) would lick the butter and leave little tongue marks on it, but NEVER the margarine. We quit eating margarine.. If the cat won't eat it, is it good for us? Besides, same number of calories either way, why not eat what tastes better.

who says your cat chooses the healthy option? lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sure I understand chemical processes a little more than the average person...but there is no use in arguing with close minded people who refuse to look at both sides of the argument.

I too use to think margarine was safe and heart healthy...it was in a text book...

Your mistake is assuming that everyone else is an average person! Turns out that no one is actually an average person. There are people in this thread who understand a great deal more about chemistry, biochemistry, biology, engineering, and nutrition than you. Don't assume that because you're a bio major you just automatically know more than everyone else.

Also, I'm a bio major graduating in a couple of months. I don't remember learning much ab out industrial chemical processing in any of my classes.

Well we didn't have the same organic chemistry professor who loved to teach about industrial processing. And I never said I know more than everyone else....don't assume and read into what I said.

What I actually read was "people who disagree with me are closed minded and uneducated" which is, I think, exactly the message you meant to convey.
  • cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    [/quote]

and it's been 20 years since studies showed that margarine was worse than butter... but some people are a little slow on the uptake. that's ok though... hopefully they'll get there someday.
    [/quote]

Yea, sometimes it takes a while for people to realize.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    and it's been 20 years since studies showed that margarine was worse than butter... but some people are a little slow on the uptake. that's ok though... hopefully they'll get there someday.

Do you consider Country Crock to be margarine?

you missed neanderthin's post about palm oil having trans fat i see...
    Yes, it's the palm oil and the emulsifier that mimic the viscosity of butter, but I'm sure the palm oils are refined to remove color and taste, so basically stripped of the natural health benefits of palm oil. Regardless, butter is the better product, unless a person still believes that saturated fats are somehow deleterious to our health. BTW, canola oil contains trans fats from the deodorizing process of refining, soy as well and that could be the reason the label reads 0 trans fats instead of no trans fats.........sneaky smug scientific *kitten*.wink

move on. :)

Country Crock doesn't have canola oil, and he didn't say palm oil has trans fat.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    tinhat.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Yes, it's the palm oil and the emulsifier that mimic the viscosity of butter, but I'm sure the palm oils are refined to remove color and taste, so basically stripped of the natural health benefits of palm oil. Regardless, butter is the better product, unless a person still believes that saturated fats are somehow deleterious to our health. BTW, canola oil contains trans fats from the deodorizing process of refining, soy as well and that could be the reason the label reads 0 trans fats instead of no trans fats.........sneaky smug scientific *kitten*.wink

Country Crock doesn't have canola oil, and he didn't say palm oil has trans fat.

my bad. soybean oil, which CC does have.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Are you saying that non-hydrogenated soybean oil contains trans fat? I can't find any references that say that it does, and the poster you keep referring to didn't say it did either.

Want to keep trying? You seem to be trying super hard to convince us that Country Crock is bad because it has trans fat, even though it apparently doesn't have any; and certainly less trans fat than butter.

Who are you really trying to convince? Us, or yourself?
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's like saying rubbing your arm with poison ivy in moderation is okay with you. Trans Fats irritate your insides. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't do that.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You know if the flies won't eat it, we probably shouldn't eat it either!
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OMG not this again...... <sigh> :ohwell:
    I won't say which side I'm on, I'm tired of this debate after 20 years of being a food chemist. Been there done that.

But:
    I vote we all stop using either and just cook everything in bacon grease.

mmmmmmm, bacon :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Are you saying that non-hydrogenated soybean oil contains trans fat? I can't find any references that say that it does, and the poster you keep referring to didn't say it did either.

Want to keep trying? You seem to be trying super hard to convince us that Country Crock is bad because it has trans fat, even though it apparently doesn't have any; and certainly less trans fat than butter.

Who are you really trying to convince? Us, or yourself?

haha i'll admit that was bad on my part - but at the end of the day, if you KNOW there's a loophole that allows companies to say 0g trans fat, when there actually IS half a gram of trans fat/serving, and you see the Country Crock USES that loophole, I'd personally play it safe and assume it contains trans fat.

If you want to believe they're telling the truth, that's your prerogative. but i'm kind of tired of this. margarine is less nutritionally beneficial than butter and/or pure animal fat, and many (i'd argue the marjority) have trans fat. if y'all wanna use it, go for it.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had both butter and margarine out on the counter. Stripes (our cat) would lick the butter and leave little tongue marks on it, but NEVER the margarine. We quit eating margarine.. If the cat won't eat it, is it good for us? Besides, same number of calories either way, why not eat what tastes better.

who says your cat chooses the healthy option? lol

Stopped eating margarine about a year ago. However, I am not going to rely on the preference of an animal this is also willing to lick other areas of his body that I cannot reach on my own.:noway:
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    OMG not this again...... <sigh> :ohwell:
    I won't say which side I'm on, I'm tired of this debate after 20 years of being a food chemist. Been there done that.

But:
    I vote we all stop using either and just cook everything in bacon grease.

mmmmmmm, bacon :drinker:

My X mother in law deep fried her husbands bacon in bacon grease, every morning. The old gent lived well into his 90's.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    haha i'll admit that was bad on my part - but at the end of the day, if you KNOW there's a loophole that allows companies to say 0g trans fat, when there actually IS half a gram of trans fat/serving, and you see the Country Crock USES that loophole, I'd personally play it safe and assume it contains trans fat.

If you want to believe they're telling the truth, that's your prerogative. but i'm kind of tired of this. margarine is less nutritionally beneficial than butter and/or pure animal fat, and many (i'd argue the marjority) have trans fat. if y'all wanna use it, go for it.

Where do you see that Country Crock "uses" that loophole?

You are continuing to assume that Country Crock contains trans fat because..... well, because you just want to. You're just so convinced CC is bad because it's so "unnatural" that you're just absolutely sure it HAS TO have trans fat, even though there's no reason whatsoever to think so. There's no hydrogenated oil, and no ingredients that indicate any trans fat content at all.

I believe they're telling the truth about the ingredients of the product, yeah. if you think they're surreptitiously inserting partially hydrogenated oils into their product because, hey, companies are evil, then go ahead and think so.

Once again: there are many reasons to avoid margarines and oil spreads, but trans fat content isn't one of them considering that most of these products don't have any. Simply assuming that all products you are philosophically opposed to contain trans fat doesn't really make much sense, especially when butter itself contains trans fat. There's a massive intellectual disconnect there that borders on cognitive dissonance.

You're really saying "this product, which apparently contains no trans fat, probably does because the company could get away with it. Therefore, don't use it because of this miniscule amount of hidden trans fat. Use butter instead, which definitely has trans fat, because the other product might have trans fat."
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    In for the LOLz. What a great way to start my morning.

I rarely use any butter-like substance but when I do, I use the butter/olive oil spread. I like the taste the best.

I'm not scared of margarine and a little OChem...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's like saying rubbing your arm with poison ivy in moderation is okay with you. Trans Fats irritate your insides. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't do that.

Irritate your insides? In what way? The problem with trans fats is not irritation, it's that they lower HDL and raise LDL.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/0/6/7/0/314651-307602/475114396506840395866586960268o.jpg?a=82

Eat whole unprocessed foods. This other stuff is not healthy or better for you.

Butter is processed, so that is out too :/

If stirring fresh whole fat cream is considered processing, then we're all in a great heap of trouble. To get butter, you take heavy cream and stir it til it thickens. This is butter. You can make butter in your own kitchen using ONLY cream. Nothing needs to be added - no chemicals, no stripping... butter is not processed. Read the ingredients sometime. You'll find one, maybe two, ingredients (if it's salted). Cultured cream and salt... that's it. Stirred and done. No processing needed.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with things like margarine in moderation though. Pick the better options that are made.

While things that are less processed are obviously better, processed isn't always terrible.

Natural doesn't always equal healthy either.
    So not true. Margarine was originally used to fatten turkeys. If you put margarine on a window sill, bugs will not touch it. That is because it isn't food. Just go eat some plastic if that is what you're into. I prefer REAL food. It IS TERRIBLE in ANY AMOUNT.
    Wrong. Margarine was never invented to fatten turkeys. Urban legend. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL2uaoEHVTWqx1UQR95J6gkPPFlf8LWvDJG4_xhifWbnFNyM6-

Fixed that for you...