I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

Options
12345679»

Replies

• jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If something someone is doing is bringing them joy, they feel it is improving their lives and health, why not let them have it? Not everyone has to do the same things, like the same things, follow the same paths to achieve their goals. What happened to live and let live? How could it possibly negatively impact you if someone else is living a paleo/primal/clean eating plan? I was under the distinct impression these forums – this site – was to help people in their pursuits of good health, to offer resources and support. The rampant negativity espoused by this post and other like it say infinitely more about the characters of those individuals starting and perpetuating them than they could ever say about people who have a developed a passion for something they truly believe is making them better people. Shame on you, OP.

+1
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This thread is useless without pics of bacon.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yup, eating healthy, home prepared meals from foods found in nature is just the stupidest idea ever. Curing disease by changing one's diet is even more stupid. Instead we should be following all the advice of MFP "a calorie is a calorie" experts, take lots of meds for all of our ailments, and keep eating "normal" processed foods (most of which didn't exist 100 years ago).

(Why are many people SO threatened by people that choose to eliminate foods that make them sick and fat??? It gets tiring. Not only can we never share our stories, even when asked, without ignorance and ridicule, but threads are created just to insult one lifestyle choice. I don't get it.)

Yes, many Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters are very passionate; it's because we have learned that being sick/fat is not normal and is preventable and curable with diet. We want to help other people have the same experience. But people like you can just go ahead keep doing what you are doing and "wait for the cure" for diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, etc. Best luck to you.

OP and others: do some research into "diseases of Civilization". I find it ludicrous that people think lifestyle (including food) plays no role in health. It's illogical.

+1

Eating non-paleo foods doesn't make me sick at all. I eat "junk" everyday and still have hot abzzz that you can bounce a quarter off. Paleo's didn't live long enought to develop diet related diseases or illnesses. So, how do you know it is optimal?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    shbfLpG.gif
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The point is not about the food being eaten specifically, it is about the mindset that "my way is right and the rest of you are going to hell." When a person becomes so entrenched in an ideal that they shun those who do not share their beliefs and ridicule scientific evidence, they have succumbed to a cult-like mentality. And yes, this could apply to sports teams, specific diets, religions, etc. Regardless of the focus of their obsession, it is clinical with regards to mental health and indicates that a person may have an obsessive personality or other diagnosis that can be addressed.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

That's your problem right there.

You should have used the Oxford English dictionary...

Heck No! We here in 'Merica use a "merican dixshunairy. Take your fancy pants speaking english and tell king george to shove it where the sun don shine.

Red,white,and blue! Go Cowboys!

You'll have to excuse me. I didn't understand a word of that.

Can someone translate this into English pour moi? Merci.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    This thread is useless without pics of bacon.

0gKqP3p.jpg
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    [I, myself... belong to the "I'm an alcoholic" cult. New members always welcome. :drinker:

:happy:

Finally, somewhere I belong...

:drinker: Checking into my cult!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My I propose a separate website for paleo eaters?...because
    1) do they even need to count cals? and
    2) they might be more comfortable in a group solely about them. (I did it when I did my somersizing there were websites just for us and before you throw rocks or clubs at me, yes according to the above OP's merriam webster dictionary, it would be a cult as well. an awesome cult that totally works! but a cult nonetheless) and ...one more thing....
    3) i'd like to add can we propose a separate island or commune for them as well where they would never have to be sickened by walking into a restaurant to find breaded anything or sandwiches, burgers, pizza's or the like. I remember how hard these were with somersizing but I did not consider them evil just not good for me or fitting my plan. to paleo dieters however it is an assault to their dna and so so so evil.

Currently my plan is to just start eating at a separate dinner table from my caveman. When he walks up and says "table for 3". I will walk up behind him and politely request a "table for one", and wait for my table to eat in peace and without having to look at a sickened upturned nose while I chow down on my ish! And still lose weight.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, many Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters are very passionate; it's because we have learned that being sick/fat is not normal and is preventable and curable with diet. We want to help other people have the same experience. But people like you can just go ahead keep doing what you are doing and "wait for the cure" for diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, etc. Best luck to you.

When anyone gets evangelical though, it gets annoying. There are also other ways of "healthy" living besides paleo that also go a long ways in curing diseases, improving overall health, etc. I actually think it's comments like the one above that get people like the OP riled up.

Personally, I could never do paleo....I like my whole grains and ancient grains too much...and while they didn't exist in caveman days, they have been around a far cry longer than 100 years and have many health benefits. I also like a bit of dairy now and then..not often, but every once in awhile.

Personally, the Mediterranean lifestyle is more to my liking...heavy on the veg, fruit, lean proteins...some whole grains...EZ on the red meat and minimal dairy. It works for me and I enjoy what I eat...my blood work has done about 180* from where it was 6 months ago. Conversely, Paleo works very well for my brother-in-law who has had some of the same issues as I have. We can actually sit down and talk about other things though and don't get all up in each other's face about who's lifestyle is superior or if he's going to hell or I am.

Like I said...evangelicals of anything are just annoying.

Sharing my own personal experiences should not get anyone "riled up". I cured all of the illnesses that I mentioned, except cancer. Cancer runs in my family, so that was probably just a matter of time as well. However, there is research to show that cancer can be "starved" by low carb/sugar diet and that's often what comes naturally with Paleo/Primal. So that's not my personal experience but there is research to support it and I do personally know people that have cured cancer with diet.

No one is telling you to eat differently than you do. But the OP obviously has a personal issue with what other people choose to do. If I started a similar post against veganism etc, I would probably get booted off MFP. Why the double standard?

So, do you avoid red meat because you were told it is "bad"? Ever looked into that issue in detail? What about fructose?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hey bro-bros, Capt Paleo of the Paleo brigade here. Let's deescalate this whine-fest and all agree that clean eating is WHERE IT'S AT!!! Colors seem brighter, air smells fresher, and priapism lasts longer. You bros need to chill out with a cool stick of celery or some nice squash with a spring water chaser, nom up on some rocky mountain oysters, and just RELAX!
    With love,
    Burt
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalee and I am an unclean eater. I bet I can beat you all in a 5k too! And I ate twinkies yesterday... hahaha! For all you people bashing cupcakes!

you're awesome. :drinker:

Amen
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to buy your paleo approved protein powder(processed junk food?) and slather your wings in paleo BBQ sauce just like they did in the Paleo epoch.

I believe this is more commonly known as "faileo". And yeah, the availability of paleo "junk food" has really increased lately...which tells me that the whole paleo thing is really getting some traction.

(Or at least that's what I remember from 2012 when I did a full year of strict paleo. I have since been kicked out of the tribe when I started eating grains and dairy again in 2013.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey bro-bros, Capt Paleo of the Paleo brigade here. Let's deescalate this whine-fest and all agree that clean eating is WHERE IT'S AT!!! Colors seem brighter, air smells fresher, and priapism lasts longer. You bros need to chill out with a cool stick of celery or some nice squash with a spring water chaser, nom up on some rocky mountain oysters, and just RELAX!
    With love,
    Burt

All of those things sound delish and I would be glad to partake. As long as you don't make a peep, when I half an hour later eat a cupcake because I had the urge and it fit my macros. If you and husband can do that we can all live happily ever after. Amen.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm in the crazy cat lady cult. It's really fun and we just talk about cats and dress them up
    ADDCF777-ABE0-4CF8-95B0-2FD83BB83E42-1391-000000AAF35A248D_zps5171e58b.jpg

That is one chunk of a cat! And there so needs to be a crazy cat lady group on here! Maybe there is... I'm looking.

Are the cats in the cat cult paleo?
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    There are no words for how amazing this whole thread is.

More pictures of ponies is all it needs.

Agreed

beatingadeadhorse-1.jpg
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do eat mostly clean, but I also follow the advice of Dean Ornish, who recommends a lot of whole grain products and even high processed vegan meat substitutes, so I'm not 100% adherence. I LOVE my whole wheat bread and low carb ketchup, which I don't believe is considered clean.

Since eating cleaner and getting in more fruit and veg (6+ servings a day), I've noticed a great improvement to my body in only two weeks despite eating the same calories, so I wouldn't refer to clean eating as a cult - it's just the maximum nutritional bang for your buck, with the least additives...
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My name is Natalee and I am an unclean eater. I bet I can beat you all in a 5k too! And I ate twinkies yesterday... hahaha! For all you people bashing cupcakes!

you're awesome. :drinker:

Umm.. where did you find twinkies?? Those things are like Gold since hostess went bankrupt.
    I asked this same question and apparently Canada still has them!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this topic. When the community does not allow for objective responses, the topic will become as a whole, divisive. When polarization of this kind happens topics will almost always be locked. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or in a group discussion.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MyFitnessPal a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.