Don't eat proteins and carbs in the same meal?

Options
I recently have started the Hay diet. Basically you eat protein with neutral foods but no starches/sugars and you eat starches/sugars with neutral foods but no protein. I have tried this for a couple of days and am already seeing the scale go down. I have had issues with losing weight and have been on many different diets.... Atkin's, Sugar busters, cabbage soup diet (thought I was gonna die with this one...lol), and have even lowered my calories to 1200 and still my weight didn't want to leave. I find that with the Hay diet I am more satisfied and my stomach doesn't give me grief like it would if I had meatloaf w/potatoes. For dinner last night, I enjoyed a baked potato with butter and a salad with onions, tomatoes and carrots with ranch dressing. I felt full and I felt like I cheated until I saw the scale this morning... it actually went down .2 lbs. Not to mention my midnight snack that was a bowl of cereal w/milk. I had my protein for lunch.

Protein takes 4 hours to digest and carbs take 2 hours to digest but when eaten together it can take up to 13 hours to digest. No wonder people get heartburn and upset stomachs when eating protein and starches together. I really find this an amazing way to eat and it's something that I believe I can stick with for life. Has anyone else tried this way of eating? If so, what have been your results and experiences from it?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I recently have started the Hay diet. Basically you eat protein with neutral foods but no starches/sugars and you eat starches/sugars with neutral foods but no protein. I have tried this for a couple of days and am already seeing the scale go down. I have had issues with losing weight and have been on many different diets.... Atkin's, Sugar busters, cabbage soup diet (thought I was gonna die with this one...lol), and have even lowered my calories to 1200 and still my weight didn't want to leave. I find that with the Hay diet I am more satisfied and my stomach doesn't give me grief like it would if I had meatloaf w/potatoes. For dinner last night, I enjoyed a baked potato with butter and a salad with onions, tomatoes and carrots with ranch dressing. I felt full and I felt like I cheated until I saw the scale this morning... it actually went down .2 lbs. Not to mention my midnight snack that was a bowl of cereal w/milk. I had my protein for lunch.

Protein takes 4 hours to digest and carbs take 2 hours to digest but when eaten together it can take up to 13 hours to digest. No wonder people get heartburn and upset stomachs when eating protein and starches together. I really find this an amazing way to eat and it's something that I believe I can stick with for life. Has anyone else tried this way of eating? If so, what have been your results and experiences from it?

I'd start a diet with less voodoo nonsense like food combining theory
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

There's absolutely no reason why you should feel the need to do this.

Read some success stories and you'll be surprised that true success is found by those that stop trying any fad diets like Atkin's, Sugar busters, cabbage soup diet, Hay diet, HCG, etc....
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    51257d19b3465a3946ce9ac4e0c989ce_zpsee892027.jpg
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options

If it's nonsense, then why am I already seeing results? I consumed over 1800 calories yesterday. For me, 1800 calories is maintaining.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

If it's nonsense, then why am I already seeing results? I consumed over 1800 calories yesterday. For me, 1800 calories is maintaining.

One pound is 3500 calories. There is no diet that gives a signficant metabolic advantage. Sure there might be small ones, but nothing that is every going to be very important in the long run. If you're having rapid weight loss, it's usually due to water weight.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this isn't necessary to lose weight.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options

Read some success stories and you'll be surprised that true success is found by those that stop trying any fad diets like Atkin's, Sugar busters, cabbage soup diet, Hay diet, HCG, etc....

I have been eating normal healthy foods prior to trying this and I have been eating them in moderation. I don't eat take-out. I cook every meal at home. I do not splurge and eat until I feel like I'm going to bust. But even with doing what I had been doing, their had been little if any results. I have lost 50 lbs within the past 3 years and I feel that is a bit slow.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Just a guess but if you have 160 lbs to lose, you've miscalculated your maintenance if you think it's only 1800.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,090 Member
    Options

You're down .2 pounds. Two tenths of a pound. That isn't losing weight. That's . . . aye.

One day of a two tenths of a pound change means nothing. I can fluctuate up to five pounds of (water) weight on any given day if I've had salty food, or a beer, or not enough water, or not enough sleep.

That "Hay Diet" sounds silly, it's not as hard as they want you to believe. Just eat.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I eat proteins and carbs together and I've lost almost 40 pounds since May of last year. Am I a special snowflake then? ;)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I have been eating normal healthy foods prior to trying this and I have been eating them in moderation. I don't eat take-out. I cook every meal at home. I do not splurge and eat until I feel like I'm going to bust. But even with doing what I had been doing, their had been little if any results. I have lost 50 lbs within the past 3 years and I feel that is a bit slow.

You've convinced yourself this is the magical diet you need. So there's really no discussion. Enjoy.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Well then this diet must be right!

I'll forget all my learning straight away :wink:

I joke - if it works for you then great. A calorie is a calorie within reason, and if you find it easier to lose weight this way then all the power to you.

There is no science behind it however beyond the rules of the universe in terms of physics.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What if a food item contains carbs and protein - like most fruit and vegetables do?
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What if a food item contains carbs and protein - like most fruit and vegetables do?

Fruits and veggies must be evil foods then...best to steer clear! Only meat and bread for you!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. I could never follow some crazy guide lines like this.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wow! Are snarky comments or what! If your happy doing this then do it, I'm not going to knock your diet choice because it's not the same as mine. If it works for you stick with it x
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you think this is what you need to do, then do it. Do what feels best to you.

Personally, I HATE DIETS I hate the term DIET. I think they are all jibber jabber and should be put on a barge and sent out to sea. I lost 20 pounds by lowering my calories but because I now work out so much I've have to up them to like 2000 calories a day and low and behold I'm starting to see the scale move again.

Our bodies are jerks. Delicate, funny, jerks that crave change sometimes so whatever you feel you need to do, then do it but I say just eat good food until you're comfortably full, drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep and rinse and repeat.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

No way you are maintaining at 1800 if you are 150 pounds overweight. Your BMR alone is likely near 2000. I think you need to take a real close look at your math.

I'm 130 pounds and maintain at 2000-2200.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options

I'm honestly trying to be helpful here...but unless you are COMPLETELY sedentary (as in "confined to a bed all day")...there is NOOOO WAY that 1800 calories is maintaining at your weight. It's just impossible. I weigh 132 lbs and I can maintain my weight easily eating 2600-2800 calories a day. If you're eating 1800, that's probably a good-sized deficit, and you will lose weight....

If you ENJOY eating this way, go for it. I hope it works for you...but if it does, it's because you're eating at a deficit and NO other reason. Just remember, you don't have to eat this way to see results. Thousands and thousands of us have also lost weight just by eating at a deficit--that's it--no other rules.

I wish you the best!! Hope you find success here :)